problem shifting out of park
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, problem shifting out of park in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; the 97 i just bought has a problem that i think may be a bad brake switch, not sure, but ...
    Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

problem shifting out of park

the 97 i just bought has a problem that i think may be a bad brake switch, not sure, but the brake lights dont always light up when i step on the brake, and it seems that when they do light up, i can shift the car out of park no problem, but sometimes i have to sit and keep moving the brake pedal till i hit the sweet spot where the shifter will finally move out of park. do these cars have some kind of safetly interlock deal with the brake pedal and shifter? i know in my old 98 mark VIII, one time the brake light fuse popped and i couldnt shift out of park. but none of the fuses are popped in the catera, and when i take my hand and mess with the brake switch on the pedal it seems to have a bad contact or something going on. its really frustrating because i have half the motor apart and want to push it outside my shop to work on another car and i cant get it out of park! can anyone shed some light? thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Po Pimp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92' Eldorado, 97 Catera

Re: problem shifting out of park

You can pull up the leather boot that surrounds the shifter by hand. Once unhooked you will see a yellow lever/button in there. If you push that you will be able to move it out of park.

As for your brake switch it could be going bad. Mine did similar things when it was going out. It cost around $15-20 and you can do it yourself with minimual tools. I did a how to replace write up some where on this forum, might be in the "tech tip" section.

passionaterage is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I agree that your brake light switch is probably going bad, my brake lights worked spradically too when mine was. Just be careful when you change it. The cruise switch at the brake pedal looks like the brake switch. I broke that one taking it out before realizing it was the wrong switch..lol

Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

i already poked around in there last week to see and i love the room they give you lol, with my fat head, i'll need to cut a hole in the floor and lay under the car just so i can look up under the dash lol!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.