please clear this up if you can
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, please clear this up if you can in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have been reading on here, for a few weeks , but finally signed up tonight, first off my name ...
    Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

please clear this up if you can

i have been reading on here, for a few weeks , but finally signed up tonight, first off my name is jamie, and i'm a noob! also a noob to cadillac. for the last 9 years i have been a lincoln mark VIII guy but i could not pass up this 97 catera i just bought. the car has 76k on it, 1 owner car and i knew when i bought it that the coolant tank was full of milky sludge. the car runs mint and the actual oil looks perfect, so i'm leaning away from head gaskets. i have read here that the engine oil cooler/heat exchanger is the culprit most of the time. today i pulled all the hoses off and took out the fan and radiator and started flushing water through all the holes trying to get as much sludge out as i can for now. i just want to make sure that i am heading in the right direction. from what i have read i need to remove the intake plenum and unbolt the plate that covers the cooler to get the cooler out. if the cooler is in fact bad will it be obvious once i remove the plate in the valley on top of the block. will the coolant also be milky inside this hole where the cooler is? before i go ordering any parts i just want input to this dilema before i waste time and money finding out it might be something more involved or very expensive. i like the car and my wife does too and i really would like to get it up and running for her. i know i will probably have to flush the coolant out a few times after i get it back together to get all the sludge out i'm sure its going to take some time to get it clean again but thats ok. i just want to be sure i'm not wasting my time on this car. any help would be greatly appreciated as i said when it comes to this car i'm totally clueless. thanks all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: please clear this up if you can

well congrats on your purchase.

it looks like you're on the right track. oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil usually points to oil cooler

you have to remove the plenum, and the manifold to get to the plat in the valley

here is some links that helps a lot

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1211220529

I know I've seen a step by step walk through somewhere, but can't remember where it is.

good luck. you'll find a lot of knowledgable people here.

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

here you go... this will tell you all you need to know

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....ad.php?t=63566

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

congrats and welcome

Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

thanks for the links, i already have everything out from in front of the motor, not i just have to tackle pulling the top half apart, looks like i am not worried now that i have seen those pictures. its exactly what i expected it would look like too. well, i shall order the parts and get to it. man i wish it was winter here i cant stand trying to work on a car in the heat we are getting right now. i need to rob a central AC unit for my shop lol! i will update with my progress.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.