Help! Coolant Leak, the normals all checked...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Help! Coolant Leak, the normals all checked... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, first off thanks for all of your help so far, you guys are great! I had a chance ...
    dkinder is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Help! Coolant Leak, the normals all checked...

Hey guys, first off thanks for all of your help so far, you guys are great!

I had a chance to tackle some of the Cat problems today and I decided to try and take care of the coolant leak from the driver's side rear of the engine. After checking the likely HCV and finding it dry, I decided to pull the upper and lower intake manifolds (upper plenum, middle aluminum manifold, and lower composite manifold). I found the oil cooler and thermostat housing dry, as well as the entire block valley dry. The little pipe that goes between the heads at the back of the intake valley was dry as well. At this point, I'm stumped...

Is there another pipe that bolts to the back of the heads or something ... I simply cannot gain access back there to see if there is or not. If not, am I pretty much left with a headgasket? There is no coolant in the oil and the engine runs strong, but at this point I have half the engine disassembled and nothing to show for it, so I don't know where the leak could be.

Also, will I need to replace the intake manifold gaskets or can I re-use these? They look like they're in good shape ... they've been removed before to replace the oil cooler, so they aren't old factory originals, only have about 2 yrs/10K on them...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

Re: Help! Coolant Leak, the normals all checked...

there is also a large coolent pipe right below the bridge on the back of the block, it has a large thin O ring that may be leaking. It is the steel pipe that is on the Pass side of the engine and runs to the back of the block, possibly it may be the culprit??

Sheldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

That's good to know. I'm having the same issue. I'll have to check into that when I have some time. I noticed when checking the undercarriage that it was coming from the rear of the engine and I just couldn't figure it out. I hope this is my issue too, just so I finally know what it is.

Thanks
    Sheldon

gunther1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Same issue here... I hope its just an o-ring but Still wouldnt know utill I dig into it I guess. Could it be the cooler going out?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.