Instrument Panel Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Instrument Panel Problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My far right instrument panel does not work fully. But the weird thing is once i turn the key and ...
    CaddyMD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Instrument Panel Problem

My far right instrument panel does not work fully. But the weird thing is once i turn the key and little past start and do not start the car they work. Any explanation for this is their a way to fix this?

This is what come on the battery light,security,leveling lights. The thing is once i turn the key a little past start everything comes on and work but not fully as oil pressure and battery voltage are wrong. I checked the oil pressure it right below max and battery is brand new and works fine. Anybody else had this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

Re: Instrument Panel Problem

Everything else work? fuel door, trunk release? Check them before you turn your key past start

szaeske is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Catera

Re: Instrument Panel Problem

I just had the exact same problem, but it is a bit of a stickler to diagnose. Here is where you need to be careful: There are three pieces/parts that can be your problem...the ignition switch itself (not the cylinder), which is connected to a housing, which is then connected to the lock cylinder. These are a bit of a pain to work on as you need some fairly special tools and it can be a bit dangerous as you are working on or near the airbag system on the steering wheel.

If you mess with the key in the ignition while the car is running and you can intermittently get the oil press and voltage gauges to work, then one of these three components is your problem.

I started by replacing my ignition switch because it was the easiest to get to and was available at the salvage yards. This lasted a while before it started again. At the same time, it started getting more difficult to turn the key once i inserted it in the ignition, so i started asking some more questions and was told the housing or cylinder could be the problem. I was also told by a few techs that the ignition cylinder is another fairly common catera problem. I took things apart again and noticed i may have ruined one of the lock tabs on the ignition switch housing when i replaced the switch, so it wasn't getting a good connection.

Until i get the money and time to get the parts fixed, i was able to fold a piece of duct tape a few times and wedge it in between the steering column cover and the end of the ignition switch to keep the switch pressed into the housing. I am not advocating fixing things this way, i am just saying it works for me on a temporary basis until i get to fixing the cylinder and housing.

I may have to just go to the stealership anyway in order to have them reset my tumblers on the new cylinder to match my key. I asked one of the stealerships if i could bring in a cylinder from a salvage yard and have them reset the tumblers and they said no because of the GM anti-theft key policy, but maybe i just asked the wrong person. Another tech may say yes....hopefully.

thanks,

scott

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.