Need help Quick * changing thermostat
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Need help Quick * changing thermostat in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; so I decided to change my thermostat along with the heater control valve. didn't realize what a pain in the ...
    cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Need help Quick * changing thermostat

so I decided to change my thermostat along with the heater control valve. didn't realize what a pain in the ass it was.

I need some ideas of what I can do. I got the intake plenum and manifold off and thermostat loose, but now the coolant tranfer pipe will not separate from the thermostat housing.

areas on both sides are very restrictive, so I can't really use much brute force.

please give me any ideas of what I can do...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Need help Quick * changing thermostat

Scoured the Catera & Omega forums but couldn't find thermostst replacement instructions. This was the closest I could find. Read it and the entire thread. You may find something useful.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tml#post927393

Elvin

PS: He mention pictures but they must have been deleted by the photo host server. sorry.

PPS: Found this a few replies down that thread. It might relate to the coolant transfer pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marks DTM Calib View Post
    Pop the plenum off and remove the inlet system so you can see the valley. At the the rear of the valley you will see a large stainless steel pipe that travels around the 1-3-5 cylidner head to the rear where it attaches with two torx headed bolts (T12 I think), access to them is easier if you remove the heater bypass valve and associated pipes (two faston connectors to the bulk head, one clamp to the coolant bridge and one to the stainless coolant pipe plus a single vaccum connection).

There is an additional fixing screw on the 1-3-5 head into the lifting bracket and then two coolant pipes to remove, one to the header tank and the main return pipe from the rad. It should now move enough to get to the O-ring and allow it to be replaced. Do clean the block surface with some fine carboundrum paper (emery) before re-fitting.

Whilst its stripped inspect the valley for signs of leaks paying attention to the stat to block seal, oil cooler plate and coolant bridge seals.

thanks elvin,

it's great to have you on our side.

I'm pretty much at the last part of dissassembly. as long as I can remove the crossover pipe from the thermostat housing, it's all reassembling from there. I'm just stuck on this part.

the crossover pipe fits into the thermostat housing and has 2 gaskets. the assebly is held in with friction, so there is no screwing.

so far my brainstorming has got me a couple of things to try.

- pipe wrench and hammer to loosen it .
    - pipe wrench to twist it
    - last resort. dremel to cut the crap out of the thermostat. (but don't really want to try this with the intakes being only blocked with tissue paper and with an exposed gas line, could be very bad.

still at work so don't know if any of these will work.
    so I was hoping if anyone else had a trick or advise.

bookie0116 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Elvin is indeed my hero. He helped me bring my baby back to life.

well finally changed it. what a pain in the ass

just in case anyone wants to do it in the future. here are a couple tips

do not unscrew the thermostat until you detatch the crossover pipe.

and the stupid screw the attaches the crossover pipe to the engine is a bia*** to put back in. you shoul mark or at least make a mental note on how things line up. since you don't have much room and can't really see it, linning up 3 things that the screw hold to the engine is very difficult.

and yippie.. no leaks... (not yet.. knock on wood.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.