Catera Engine Shuts Down While Driving
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera Engine Shuts Down While Driving in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I thought I had this problem fixed but I guess not... My 01 Catera's engine shuts down while driving. The ...
    Yose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera

Catera Engine Shuts Down While Driving

I thought I had this problem fixed but I guess not...

My 01 Catera's engine shuts down while driving. The first time it did it, the car sat for about an hour and then started right back up. I drove the car about 25 miles with no problems. Yesterday the car ran for about 20 minutes then shut down. I had the car towed to my house. When it arrived it started right back up again.

This morning I replaced the multifunction relay module because the car was exhibiting the Bose radio, trunk pop, and fuel door issue. After replacing the multifunction relay I drove the car straight to the mechanic... No trouble codes set.

I took the car out this afternoon and it ran for about 5 minutes then shut down again. The really odd and frustrating thing about this is if the car is left sitting for 20 minutes or so it starts right back up.

There is no bucking while driving, there is no warning... It just shuts off and no check engine light and worse, no trouble codes to give me a place to start looking.

My next guess is the cam position sensor but that somewhat doesn't make sense to me since the car normally starts up first try. If it is the cam position sensor, is it a bear to replace? The last cam sensor I replaced required a complete tear down of the front of the engine because it was located under the timing chain (GM 3800 series engine). Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Catera Engine Shuts Down While Driving

It could be the crankshaft position sensor and it is located near the oil filter.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    It could be the crankshaft position sensor and it is located near the oil filter.
    The cable wraps behind the engine to a connector on the firewall. Read more (my story is on page 4):
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...placement.html

Elvin

Thanks for the info guys and thanks for the super link. The step by step procedure with photos rocks. I'm gonna start pulling the car apart now. I'll let you know how it progresses. Thanks again

Most importantly, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU... You are all my new best friends!

I picked up a new CPS at the Cadillac dealer this morning ($49.35) and installed the part. The car sat idling for about 20 minutes and then I took it for a drive. I brought the car back home and left it sitting in the driveway idling. It has been running now for more than an hour, which is longer than it has run in the past week.

When removing the old CPS I cut off the connector and tried to pull the wire out from the bottom. I found the wiring was routed behind the oil cooling lines and was jammed so tightly that sensor ripped off the wires when I tried to pull it out. I ended up grabbing the wire from the top with a channel locks to get it out. I was not able to get the wire's heat shield completely out.

I routed the new sensor's wire down through driver's side of the engine, next to the power steering and AC lines. I wire tied the cable fast to the AC line so now it's nowhere near the oil cooler, or the exhaust manifold.

I'm gonna tempt fate and take the car out now for a bit of a longer drive. I'll let you know how it goes.

Again, thank you so much for all of your advice and thanks Sirqmc for the tutorial on R&Ring this part. As long as this site is up I will never have to worry about going to the dealer again!

Talk to you soon...

Dave

calicago is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey guys just got a catera for my wife she loves the looks but the front heated seats will burn you the wheels shakes at 65 mph while turning the tires are new Hankooks cant get the cover to the cd changer off dont' know how to reprogram the keyless entry remote it needs a tune up do not know the what kind of spark plugs it use or gap, it's drinking fuel like a drunk and sometimes it act like it wants to shut down what to do about this guys trying to be the hero here

timmyland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera, 2000

The shake at 65mph is a result of your tires being out of balance. Take your car to Les Schwab and have them done for cheap and then enjoy the smooooothe ride!

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post

+1
    Mine did the exact same thing and cps tells the car when to spark. Cost me, at the dealer, $140. Cheapest Catera repair ever!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.