2000 Catera trans problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2000 Catera trans problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; For some reason my 2000 catera does not want to run in first gear it slips real bad if you ...
    shaynes302 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Eldorado ETC 2000 Catera AKA the heap

2000 Catera trans problem

For some reason my 2000 catera does not want to run in first gear it slips real bad if you dont baby it you cant even get the car to move but after it shifts into second it seems fine. I had the fluid and filter changed but it didnt help at all. Its like the clutches for first gear are wasted but if you put the car in reverse its fine. Anybody have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Po Pimp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92' Eldorado, 97 Catera

Re: 2000 Catera trans problem

Are you sure the tranny is full? Sounds kind of dumb after what you just posted but hey are a little bit of a pain in the butt to get right.

Yes it is full. If I push the button next to the shifter with the snow flake on it the car takes of in second gear without any problem. The only time there is a problem is on take off in first gear and you have to baby it untill it changes into 2nd gear.

sassanach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 59,60,73,2000sts,1999omega/catera

sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate,but if your sure your tranny is fine in 2nd,3rd etc then im convinced you low sprag clutch is wasted,that is a major tear down im afraid.

That doesnt sound good at all. Would that effect reverse?

sassanach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 59,60,73,2000sts,1999omega/catera

you have a point there, it should do,the low sprag clutch is used in first and reverse only.you are sure that reverse functions perfectly?

Positive. I went out after reading your post and put in in reverse in the drive way and it will leave rubber no slipping at all. Any other ideas?
    One thing I left out was before it started slipping it would sometimes not take off in first it would take off in second but if you turned off the car and started back up it would be fine. This is my wifes car so I knew nothing was going on and she for some reason let one of her freinds use the car to go to Florida well when it got back she told me it was slipping in first and later told me about turning the car off and re starting to get the car to take off in first. Any help would be great.

Any other suggestions guys, I am getting ready to take it into the dealership and god knows thats not cheap. Any help at all would be great.

Any other suggestions guys, I am getting ready to take it into the dealership and god knows thats not cheap. Any help at all would be great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.