Sluggish Acceleration/Idling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Sluggish Acceleration/Idling in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all. I drive a 2001 Catera with just over 72K miles on it. I bought it about 3 months ...
    kamorgan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera 2001

Sluggish Acceleration/Idling

Hello all. I drive a 2001 Catera with just over 72K miles on it. I bought it about 3 months ago and it has been running great besides an occasional high idle when started in the mornings but goes away. I filled my tank this morning on the way to work and about 2 miles later while on the freeway when I went to accelerate or had my foot on the gas, the engine began riding rough (sputtering). The check engine light came on two days ago but usually goes off after I filled the tank or open the gas cap. Car will accelerate fine but its just sputtering getting up to speed. Once I parked the car was still idling rough. Any suggestions on what could be going on and what needs to be done to correct this situation? Thanks for any help any of you could give.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Sluggish Acceleration/Idling

The fast idle is normal. It heats the oxygen sensors quickly to reduce emissions. Take the car to AutoZone or most any parts store and they will read the Check Engine Light codes for free.

The rough idle could be due to contaminated fuel. Most common is water. It doesn't bond with gasoline but it will mix with it through normal agitation. This mixture is heavy and sinks to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pick-up sucks it in. Since it doesn't bond with gas this water enters the cylinders in uneven concentrations. Water does bond with alcohol, which in turn bonds with gasoline.

Add a bottle of an isopropyl alcohol based fuel treatment like Iso-Heet to your tank. Any water will be absorbed be the alcohol and burned off through combustion.

When the tank is close to empty refill with fuel (from a different station) and add a bottle of Techron fuel treatment to clean the injectors. I've used this on my motorcycle with good results. I use it in my Catera also but since she's never shown any rough running or stumbles I can only assume the Techron is keeping things clean.

Beyond that you could have a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor. Search the archives for more info.

Elvin

kamorgan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera 2001

Re: Sluggish Acceleration/Idling

Thanks for the advice. I will do that as soon as I leave work today.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.