cooler adapter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, cooler adapter in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; If I'm replacing the oil cooler, should I also install a new cooler adapter? Thanks...
    pghjoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

cooler adapter

If I'm replacing the oil cooler, should I also install a new cooler adapter?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

Re: cooler adapter

what kind of adapter are you talking about??? I just replaced mine around 1 week ago. Adapter? Pictures if you can 'cause i'm not too sure on what your talking about! :?

I don't know what it's for...but the cooler package I'm looking to buy says it's including seals for the cooler adapter and I looked for the part online and this is what I found.

Maybe I don't need it and it is only for a cooler conversion. That would be a good answer, it cost $160.
    Thanks
    Attached Images

Did you replace anything else while you had the top of the engine off.

HCV valve, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, plug wire/plugs, etc.

Anything that would be a good idea to have changed while you're in there?

About how long did it take to do the job?

Thanks

cadillacroadside is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

that part is actually the coolant crossover, and you should at least replace the seals

Any reason to replace it?
    Thanks

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

I replaced my oil cooler for a new one, replaced the valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gaskets, and ordered the Felpro gasket set for all the gaskets and it comes with the coolant rings with o-ring inside. Nothing else needed to be changed. I also cleaned the Throttle body, intake tuning valves, intake plenum, manifold and injector rail. Also replaced spark plugs...heeh. Just the regular stuff but nothing major like HCV lines or anything.
    If you have all parts neccecary and newer spark plug and such is shouldn't take you but maybe 3-5 hours. You need to make sure ALL gaskets are tight and in place...also use the Black Permatex RTV sealant with GM part number on it to make sure the valve cover gasket corners, half moon circles, and 90 degree angles are sealed. Use it when you line the bottom of the oil cooler plate as well for added security. So far so good. 2 weeks and no problems. Took me 5 days off and on maybe like 6 hours total because i didn't have all the parts.

ooohhhhh. forgot to mention the process to clean your fluids!! You'll need 2 or 3 oil filters...2 or 3 sets of 6 quarts of 5W-30 or your preference of motor oil. Lots of distilled water and 1 or 2 gallons of radiator fluid to flush and fill. Your call but that's what i did and everthing came out beautiful. Right now I'm looking at xylene, toluene, and acetone mixtures in gasoline for MUCH better engine life AND MPG!

BTW good luck with everything. Takes forever to fix, but you'll be glad you did.

EDIT: You'll also NEED to get some SEAFOAM for your engine. It'll clean your engine up when you use the first set of motor oil to rinse all the contaminants out from the engine surfaces. Then add your second to cycle and rinse the engine. I used the 3rd set of oil for final top-off.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by pghjoe View Post
    Any reason to replace it?
    Thanks
    Not really.

Elvin

WOW...thanks...that is some great advise.
    Joe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.