Has all electrical but Won't start when hot
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Has all electrical but Won't start when hot in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So on a hot day, if I make a stop after the engine has heated up, sometimes it won't start ...
    Searayjba is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Has all electrical but Won't start when hot

So on a hot day, if I make a stop after the engine has heated up, sometimes it won't start again. I get all the dash lights, radio works, interior and headlights (if night) all work but no ignition. No solonoid click, nothing. I let it sit awhile and it will eventually start. Opening the hood shortens the waiting so I assume it is something overheating.
    I have replaced the battery and both coil packs. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gunther1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Has all electrical but Won't start when hot

Shoot this problem either has all you Super smart Catera lover stumped or its just such a simple question you dont grace it with your response...

There must be 5 post with not one clue as to what this gremlin could be...

Great

jafo1994 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville concours

Quote Originally Posted by Searayjba View Post
    So on a hot day, if I make a stop after the engine has heated up, sometimes it won't start again. I get all the dash lights, radio works, interior and headlights (if night) all work but no ignition. No solonoid click, nothing. I let it sit awhile and it will eventually start. Opening the hood shortens the waiting so I assume it is something overheating.
    Starter?

bookie0116 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Searayjba View Post
    OMG!!! I cannot believe this is happening to someone else in the exact same manner. Except we take the cap off the water tank too to shorten the time even more. It usaully takes about an hour to start. I can't figure it out for nothing. We've had everything changed but nothing has stopped this behavior. My car doesn't exactly run hot but it does get a little above the half line sometimes, and it won't start until the engine cools down. Some people have told me that Cadillacs have a very intelligent sensor. It doesn't allow the car to start until a problem has been fixed. I don't know how true that is, so i'm going to my mechanic to have him check it out. The only thing though is that i have to bring my car to him while it's doing this, so i have to drive it for a while then bring it ti him a shut it off so he can see himself. HMMM Crazy!!! I should just be able to tell him what's going on and he can diagnose it that way. Anyway, let me know if you have figured out anything so i can get this fixed on my car as well. Thanks

My car will without fail do it mid day everyday this summer at lunch time when it is most hot out in Nashville. But it starts fine in the morning and evening! im talking about a 10-15 degree change in weather and boom its running. mid day and you are stranded.....

Answer me this and you get a gold star!!!

Many have swaped batterys and starters in this mystey..... HELP US!!!!

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Smile Re: Has all electrical but Won't start when hot

It could be the CPS!!!

Leon3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree, could be the CPS. Alot cheaper than the coil packs and starters

Good Luck

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

My first check would be the battery cables, especially the positive one, check the ground also. The next time you have it running awhile feel the temp of the positve, if its too hot to touch you have a high resistance situation, my problem was in the actual positve cable lug. A new battery cable end solved it, the old cable had a .6 volt drop. Bottom line the battery was not up to full charge. Also on the more current models if there is a charge problem check the wire from the starter to Alt for corrosion.... the coils and CPS don't come into play until the engine is turning over...hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gunther1000 View Post
    My car will without fail do it mid day everyday this summer at lunch time when it is most hot out in Nashville. But it starts fine in the morning and evening! im talking about a 10-15 degree change in weather and boom its running. mid day and you are stranded.....

Answer me this and you get a gold star!!!

Many have swaped batterys and starters in this mystey..... HELP US!!!!

Yose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera

CPS is a cheap fix and cheap to rule out as a suspect

Quote Originally Posted by Yose View Post
    CPS is a cheap fix and cheap to rule out as a suspect
    Great, now what is a cps and where is it located? Thanks.

Great, now what is a cps and where is it located? Thanks.
    And if all of you are saying a crank shaft position sensor IM GOING TO SCREAM!!!!

How can it possibly be a sensor if the car makes NO attempt to even turn over? We are talking about no power to the starter what so ever. not a non running car that cranks and cranks. No attempt to try to start what so ever with full power to everything but the starter only some times. Like and mostly when hot out. mid day 80-90 degree weather and no clicks no slow crank and then clicks nothing at all!

But full power, great charge/new battery, new starter and not a single thing untill hours later and outside temps drop ever so slightly. I have been dealing with this for 2 months and it really sucks. A very reliable car once started but getting it there has become like playing the lotto on a warm day.

COME ON HELP!!!!!!

ANY TECHS OUT THERE?

PLEEEEEEEEASE

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Its a crank position sensor located under the car near the oil filter. It cost around $40.00 for the sensor.

did you read my post? Are you on drugs?

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

Gunther, read my early reply to you again. It's not the CPS, it's not a coil etc. ....you have a no crank problem when hot, confirm the cable condition first. a sure way to confirm the condition is do do a voltage drop check on the pos cable. Also a bad solenoid can create this problem
    Since it's a hot crank issue we can rule out the trans range or Nuetral safty switch at this time..

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

I think it's posts like these that make everyone ignore your posts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.