Has all electrical but Won't start when hot - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Has all electrical but Won't start when hot in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I will check the voltage drop of the pos cable, Im curious to feel it for heat when I drive ...
    gunther1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Lightbulb Re: Has all electrical but Won't start when hot

I will check the voltage drop of the pos cable, Im curious to feel it for heat when I drive home tonight. If it starts. I have noticed the radio spitting out a cd and the clock skipping time so maybe it is a power issus.

I thank you for your input.

And to my post not being responded to It is one of 5 I found on this same subject with no one even attempting to chim in. Not just mine.

And look I may have an answer now! It only took some freaking out to get enough attention. Like a little kid throwing a fit. Well the Catera does bring that of some of us...

Thanks Again!

bookie0116 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Has all electrical but Won't start when hot

Quote Originally Posted by frank moran View Post
    My first check would be the battery cables, especially the positive one, check the ground also. The next time you have it running awhile feel the temp of the positve, if its too hot to touch you have a high resistance situation, my problem was in the actual positve cable lug. A new battery cable end solved it, the old cable had a .6 volt drop. Bottom line the battery was not up to full charge. Also on the more current models if there is a charge problem check the wire from the starter to Alt for corrosion.... the coils and CPS don't come into play until the engine is turning over...hope this helps.
    Hey did your car do the exact same thing that our cars are doing and in the exact same manner? I don't know but i think it has something to do with the heat outside or in the engine. But i have also noticed that sometimes if i turn my ignition slowly, i'll have a better chance of it starting. HMMMM?

gunther1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bookie0116 View Post
    Hey did your car do the exact same thing that our cars are doing and in the exact same manner? I don't know but i think it has something to do with the heat outside or in the engine. But i have also noticed that sometimes if i turn my ignition slowly, i'll have a better chance of it starting. HMMMM?
    Happened twice tonight and no jump start would help.

It seems to be doing the same as yours and It may be the Positive cable. I have yet to replace it but no turning it over slow doesnt help mine. I have to open the hood and just wait it out.

Opening the rad cap and blowing about a half gallon of coolant on the ground seems to speed things up...

Not a voltage thing. Its a freaking mystery....

Starter is fine relay is fine battery is 1 day old. You tell me...

darksky47 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

my did the same thing to the letter i picked up a csp off ebay for about $40.00 tuck about 20 mins to put it in the car has ran great.

iiF3LiXii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

The CPS is not going to help you. Like the guy said a few replies up. The ECM on monitors this sensor with RPM only. And the cranking RPM isn't going to light this circuit up. I think its a relay. This a common problem with a bad relay in general. Engine compartment gets hot along with everything els, including the relays and fuse block. So a bad relay heated up is more likely to fault. Check the battery cables for resistance as well. And make sure your battery is good. But Im almost certain your going to find a stuck relay.

I would also like to add that i noticed that you feel you should be able to just tell your mechanic your no start problem and he should be able to tell you whats wrong. If you find a mechanic that can do that, let me know... he's my best friend!!! Look at it like bring your self to the doctor and telling him you had this cough a week ago, its gone no but can you tell me what it was. The doc has no idea because there arnt any symptoms. Same thing with your car. We need to run test with relevant components. If there not failing at the time then all is going to seem well. Now if ya bring your car in and its acting up... Then what ever is going wrong will be there to present its self.

AwfulSmokey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Catera

Wow lol Well, my car is doing this exact same thing. It started almost a year ago. One day my car wouldnt turn/click. I bought a CPS and that doesn't solve the problem. I noticed the last time it did it( dash and lights all work as usual) but the volt meter read 0 . It was floored to the bottom. Meaning it had no juice but the lights were on. I have 2 keys and they both won't work when it's hot. So the key isn't the issue. Maybe the ignition?

When it first started happening it was like 20 min's wait time, now it's like 3-4 hours. It grew over time. Maybe this is some help. I'm going to try new cables/battery this weekend.

Weeeeeeeeeeeee! I repplaced the positive cable and battery and problem solved. The CPS is only when it turns over and doesn't start. If it won't turn over at all it's either the cable or battery.

The cable was 11.99 at autozone. I replaced it and let the car run for a bit. Then noticed the battery wasn't charging. I was like wtf. Then noticed that the factory wiring had another wire running into it. You have to cut it off the old wire that connects to the starter and then go to Best Buy and buy a 4 gauge crimp ring. Voila

annebrad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

In florida, I experienced the exact same problem. Driving in traffic (stop and go on I-95) on hot afternoon, I stopped after 1 hr drive for gas. After fill-up, the car would not crank. No noises like it wanted to try and crank. Jumpstart wouldn't help. Car battery tested OK (it's 1 yr old). Swapped the Eng Control Relay & Fuel control relay at that time with no effect. No other symptoms. After 30 mins, the car cranked just fine and has run fine since. I doubt the CPS is the issue. Can anyone help? Did the previous Battery Cable replacement turn into a long-term fix?

Please help!

Thx!

Bradley White

Wow, it's been awhile since i posted this. UPDATE: the new cables seemed to help in the very beginning, but that didn't last long. Still same problem. Nobody has found a solution?

CADMAN56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

alright,lets keep it simple.the best thing about this is it is consistant and we need to break down the system in order to locate the problem.before the problem does act up and the engine is hot and running, i want you to do a voltage drop test as suggested by frank moran,from positive post to alt and to starter and from negative post to block and starter with all accessiores on and engine at 2000-2500 rpm.should be less than .3-.5 volts.if higher than this you have high resistance in cables and will create charging and starting problems.now when the problem acts up,using a volt meter check voltage at batt post then cable ends.make sure neg lead of meter is connected to neg batt post. it should read approx.12.6- if these readings are ok then you need to attach the positive lead of the voltmeter to the black/red stripe wire at starter solenoid and try to crank the car.if you recieve over 12 volts reading on your volt meter, then your are getting a crank signal from igntion switch,if no voltage or low voltage check connections at positive batt cable to underhood fuse block and to the 80 amp fuses,this is a direct feed to the ignition switch.now ckeck for at least 12 volts at the 4 gauge red batt cable at starter,it should read battery voltage.if low or no voltage you have a cable problem.i also like to use a test lamp too for all the above test.now you want to test and make sure you have a good ground at the block and starter.if all this is ok you have a bad starter.to pre-prepare for all these test you can run additional wires and clip them to starter wiring and route them near the battery which would make testing a lot easier.good luck

I'm willing to try anything lol I came to the "either i need to fix everything" or get rid of the car stage. I decided to start fixing everything. I have had the car almost 4 years now.

I need to get a meter to test for voltage, Keep in mind folks, i did the cps, i put in a brand new battery and positive cable. i have tried 2 different keys,I have tried moving the shifter from park to drive (back and forth) and still no luck.

Question for those that have this issue. Anyone else have issues with it not letting your key out?(got to fiddle with gear shift sometimes) or i am thinking possibly something to do with alarm or ignition<shruggs>

A neutral safety switch would cause this, but to get better when cool is fishy. I mean to say it's a starter sounds good too. But it's been doing it for like 2 years now for me. This wekend i am replacing my oil cooler, plugs, and valve cover gaskets. My vcg's have been leaking for awhile now. Is it possible oil leaks onto the starter and needs to leak off in order to start? I'm just throwing ideas out there.. feel free to do your own.

MRXRAY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

My '98 is doing the same thing now. I'm watching for a fix closely. My symptom seems very similar, drive it, it gets hot and when you turn it off it sometimes does not start at all, no clicks, whines, nothing. I was thinking starter solenoid and even noticed that some parts stores were selling a heat shield for the solenoid which made me think that might be the fix. AwfulSmokey, I didn't see any issue with my shifter or key and I've had the ignition switch replaced thinking that might be the issue... But, Not!

Anyone else?

I finally investigated and found where the starter is and I can see why they are selling a heat shield for it as it sits right next to the exhaust manifold and pipes! Any thoughts?

Any Updates? I still have the same problem and it's strating to get hotter in FL so I know my problem will get worse.

Well I have noticed that even with a small drop in voltage, the starter won't engage. I let my car sit for awhile and went to start it..nothing. I was mad, I looked at my volt gauge and It looked fine. I had full power(lights on, radio, heater etc all worked)

I hooked a charger up to it for a few min's and cranked right over.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.