Replaced Rotors - Bad Brakes!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Replaced Rotors - Bad Brakes! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys! I just finished replacing my 2 front rotors. They were warped and made my steering wheel shake during ...
    frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Replaced Rotors - Bad Brakes!

Hey guys! I just finished replacing my 2 front rotors. They were warped and made my steering wheel shake during braking. Upon installing the calipers/pads, I obviously had to purge some fluid out through the purge hole on the calipers in order to get them over the brake pads. Now that it's done, my brakes are too spongy! It needs to be pressed in more in order for the car to slow down. I'm guessing that I would need to bleed the system??? Can someone right me a guide on how to bleed the system... this will be the first time I'm doing this, and I don't wanna mess things up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Re: Replaced Rotors - Bad Brakes!

Yeah the way you do that is with some sort of vise grips... or something that can squeeze the piston back in the caliper, you dont have to open the bleeder screw to do that... but since you have now you just got to fix it.

I would recommend getting a buddy and have them sit in the car, then tell them to press on the brakes and hold, with as much pressure as they can, then you go out to the caliper and you open the bleeder screw, wait till all fluid comes out, at that point the pedal should be to the floor, close off the screw and tell your friend to let off, once fully released you tell them to press again, and you repeat until nothing but fluid comes out, I bet after the second or third try you will have all the air out of the system... also make sure you keep checking the level in the reservoir as that will go down drastically when you perform the operation.

I dont think that you would have to do the rears since no air got in those lines... you should be fine with the above procedure....

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Replaced Rotors - Bad Brakes!

I use a Mityvac. It's a hand held vacuum pump. Attach it to the bleeder nipple on the caliper, pump some vacuum and the fluid will be sucked down into a catch bottle along with any air bubbles. A gravity filler will prevent the mastercylinder reservoir from running dry. It's a one man operation except for your beer runner.

http://www.drivewerks.com/tech/mult_bleed_brakes2.htm
    http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-6820-B...2668812&sr=8-5
    http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_bcbe.asp#MVA6832

Elvin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.