Catera Cooling System Needs Work..HELP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera Cooling System Needs Work..HELP! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I recently replaced my oil cooler and now flushing the old nasty oil and radiator fluid and cycling ...
    eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

Catera Cooling System Needs Work..HELP!

Hey guys, I recently replaced my oil cooler and now flushing the old nasty oil and radiator fluid and cycling clean fluids. Everything is going good on the road to recovery except the issue that caused my oil cooler to rupture...overheating. My fans kick on around the 5/8 tick mark just one above normal operating temp. 6 Months ago i changed my spark plugs and it started overheating. I never changed them until now and it still overheats. Changed coolant from DexCool after spark plugs 6 months ago. Regardless, I need to know if the temp will go down using DexCool and Redline water wetter or something else. Currently I'm running Bosh Platinum +4 and 30%-45% Zerex G-05 Coolant w. distilled water.

Should i go to Bosh Platinum+2 and Dex Cool or what? Help please!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

R-Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green

Re: Catera Cooling System Needs Work..HELP!

Plugs won't make any difference. Keep the Platinum +4. I like them myself. Make sure your water pump is OK. My problem went away after a new water pump was put in and a coolant flush performed. Now I have a new radiator (damn plastic elbow cracked...) and new heater valve. Runs good. And yes, the fans do turn on at the bar right above the middle point of the gauge.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Could you be using the wrong plug? If the spark plug heat range is too low it may be transferring too much heat to the cylinderhead and not enough to the sparkplug's tip.

Pull the plugs and check the tips. If they're fouled with carbon or other deposits the plugs are too cold.

Elvin

ok..thx. I'll order that asap. Just hope after this no more parts are needed. The original owner had the entire engine rebuilt and all accecories replaced like water pump and AC components. Guess I'll do that and pray for the best. Elvin I changed my plugs from OEM to NGK Iridium Laser Plugs and that's when everything happened. I just switched over to the Bosh+4 Platinum and still overheating. R-Caddy is prob right tho. Since I've replaced the cooler and know that engine top-wise it shouldn't be that much trouble. Thanks Guys. Still should I use dexcool?

R-Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green

Yes sir

My real problem is at idle my temp gauge goes to the next tick mark above normal. when it sits there after 1 min. at 5/8 fans kick in and cool down anywhere from normal to slightly above normal. I will go on the road and my gauge shows from 3/8 to normal. I read in older threads that we have 2 aux. water pumps. I found them and checked them. One dude said he replaced his thermostat, one said pump so on and it fixed problem. Lucky them. I checked the one on the pass. side and that one is supposed to work full time. The one on the driver's side does not seem to be working at all. Even when I'm running a little above normal. When i reach 5/8 I immediately turn the car off and still nothing. Is that normal or not. If not I'm replacing it and maybe even the main pump as well. Just to make double sure. Just need some affirmative on this to narrow it down to just one item. Thanks Guys!

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidercaddy View Post
    My real problem is at idle my temp gauge goes to the next tick mark above normal. when it sits there after 1 min. at 5/8 fans kick in and cool down anywhere from normal to slightly above normal. I will go on the road and my gauge shows from 3/8 to normal. I read in older threads that we have 2 aux. water pumps. I found them and checked them. One dude said he replaced his thermostat, one said pump so on and it fixed problem. Lucky them. I checked the one on the pass. side and that one is supposed to work full time. The one on the driver's side does not seem to be working at all. Even when I'm running a little above normal. When i reach 5/8 I immediately turn the car off and still nothing. Is that normal or not. If not I'm replacing it and maybe even the main pump as well. Just to make double sure. Just need some affirmative on this to narrow it down to just one item. Thanks Guys!
    Make you feel better my 97 does the same thing on these hot days. The fan kicks on at 212 and off 203 deg. I have checked this with my scan tool, at the 5/8 mark your only 212, the system is doing the job as designed. My guage never drops below 1/2 on the road..

yeah but it used to be on the normal mark all the time before i changed plugs...and coolant. weird how these things happen.

yeah but it used to be on the normal mark all the time before i changed plugs...and coolant. weird how these things happen.
    for clarification, overheating did not ruin the oil cooler, there is no water in the oil cooler, only oil. The engine oil circulates through the cooler and when the OC fails oil escapes into the coolent system. Also, the front aux coolant pump runs when you shut the engine off and the coolant fan is running, once the fan shuts off the pump shuts down. The next time you shut the engine down and the fan is still running, pop the hood and use some sort of stethescope, screwdriver etc. or feel it with your hand you should feel it buzzing. (the pump also runs when all fans are running at max speed and your in a real overheat situation, about 250 deg.)
    Is it possible you have a an air bubble? however, it sounds like everything is runnung properly. I live in Ga. also and on these hot days i'm bumping the 5/8 mark all day...I was concerned also but my scan tool showed all temps at 212 which is the way the system is designed, all these new engines run up there, ...to meet emmissions etc....212 is almost on the cool side.....
    Just some fyi, one manufacturer had a similar guage reading and were getting all kinds of overheat complaints, the fix was a recalibrated temp guage, the system was working fine and as designed... We humans don't like to see these kind of temperatures, smile..

I do understand completely what your saying and may be the case... it's just that coincidence things you know. Do one thing and car seems to run 'hot'. Other than that i've had no other problems (knock on wood), just the oil cooler. That's fixed and from what i gather i need to return the aux. water pump from rockauto? BTW what do you mean an "air bubble". Could you give me a description as how to get it out? Again, I appreciate the help.

I do understand completely what your saying and may be the case... it's just that coincidence things you know. Do one thing and car seems to run 'hot'. Other than that i've had no other problems (knock on wood), just the oil cooler. That's fixed and from what i gather i need to return the aux. water pump from rockauto? BTW what do you mean an "air bubble". Could you give me a description as how to get it out? Again, I appreciate the help.
    By air in the system I mean that instead of having a solid flow of water you have some large air pockets in the system. These air pockets will work themselves out of the system over a short period of time. Another possibilty is back where your oil cooler is, there is a coolent bridge that contains two sensors one being for your coolaant guage, possibly during your repair you moved the wire about and now have a better contact thus giving you a more accurate guage reading???

No that's not the case. I read an Engine Removal thread that shows where one guy replaced the oil cooler AND coolant bridge. This overheating started BEFORE I had mixing coolant. My oil cooler is just a separate issue that is now fixed. The real deal is I cleaned the sender and temperature sensor for the bridge and replaced o-rings and all so everything good from the plenum down.

Not suprised that my CEL is on and will have codes pulled tomorrow but prob. just for the multi-ram valve that's disconnected. It seems that if i use more of a concentration toward the 50% rad. fluid and water it gets hotter. I'm nearly done fixing my car for a LONG time since everything is almost 2 years old which is new for a catera, I shouldn't be due for anything for a couple months....

Well regardless I WILL figure out a way to run at normal temp... Thanks for all the help.

No that's not the case. I read an Engine Removal thread that shows where one guy replaced the oil cooler AND coolant bridge. This overheating started BEFORE I had mixing coolant. My oil cooler is just a separate issue that is now fixed. The real deal is I cleaned the sender and temperature sensor for the bridge and replaced o-rings and all so everything good from the plenum down.

Not suprised that my CEL is on and will have codes pulled tomorrow but prob. just for the multi-ram valve that's disconnected. It seems that if i use more of a concentration toward the 50% rad. fluid and water it gets hotter. I'm nearly done fixing my car for a LONG time since everything is almost 2 years old which is new for a catera, I shouldn't be due for anything for a couple months....

Well regardless I WILL figure out a way to run at normal temp... Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.