catera....need help and advise ASAP!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, catera....need help and advise ASAP!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Folks, I tried to take out the radiator on my 98 catera and I see two lines (aluminum color) ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

catera....need help and advise ASAP!!!

Hi Folks,

I tried to take out the radiator on my 98 catera and I see two lines (aluminum color) connected to the radiator. I loosened both lines and oil started to drain out of the bottom line. My question is what line is it? Is it some kind of a oil cooler and how do you add oil since I lost some while loosening, and where do I it?

Your help is appreciated!!!

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: catera....need help and advise ASAP!!!

Those are the lines to the transmission cooler. The filler is on the transmission itself. GM designed the gearbox to be a sealed unit, never to need fluid checked or refilled. At least not by the owners. Hence the missing dipstick/filler tube. Secondly, there is no drain hole. The only plug is there to allow techs to check the level and top it off. Now that's really stupid, isn't it? The plug is located on the large rear pan, near the clipped corner.

To check the fluid level and/or top it off (using DEXRON III only) requires crawling under the car. With the transmission in PARK and the engine idling, remove the plug. The transmission fluid should be level with the bottom of the plug hole. Use your finger to check. To drain the fluid you have to drop the transmission's 2 pans. Click on the pictures for additional instructions and photos courtesy of the Vauxhall Owners Network.

Transmission Rebuild Pictures

Pans, Filter, & Fill Plug

Removal Procedure
    1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
    2. Place a drain pan under the transmission main case oil pan.
    3. Remove the front and side transmission oil pan bolts only.
    4. Loosen the rear transmission oil pan bolts approximately four turns.
    5. Lightly tap the transmission oil pan with a rubber mallet or pry to drain the fluid from the main case oil pan.
    6. Remove the transmission oil filter bolts.
    7. Remove the transmission oil filter.
    8. Remove the transmission oil filter gasket.
    9. Place a drain pan under the transmission front oil pan.
    10. Remove the rear bolts from the transmission front oil pan.
    11. Remove the front bolts from the transmission front oil pan leaving one corner bolt in loosely.
    12. Lightly tap oil pan with rubber mallet or pry to drain fluid.
    13. Clean the following components:
    • The main transmission case.
    • The transmission front adapter case.
    • Both pans' gasket surfaces with solvent.
    • The filter gasket surfaces.
    • Remove all traces of old gasket material.
    • Let all parts air dry.

Installation Procedure
    1. Install the transmission oil filter gasket. Install the transmission oil filter.
    2. Install the transmission oil filter bolts. Tighten the transmission oil filter bolts to 20 Nm (15 lb ft).
    3. Install the transmission front oil pan gasket.
    4. Install the transmission front oil pan.
    5. Install the front oil pan bolts. Tighten the front oil pan bolts to 11 Nm (96 lb in).
    6. Install the transmission main case oil pan gasket.
    7. Install the transmission main case oil pan.
    8. Install the transmission main case oil pan bolts. Tighten the main case oil pan bolts to 11 Nm (96 lb in).
    9. Refill the transmission with DEXRON III. Fill the transmission (using and oil suction gun) to lower edge of oil pan fill plug opening.
    10. Tighten Tighten the oil pan fill plug to 45 Nm (33 lb ft).
    11. Lower the vehicle.
    12. Inspect the transmission fluid level. Refer to Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure.

Elvin

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: catera....need help and advise ASAP!!!

Hi,

Thanks for the information, this will really help. I'll give a try tomorrow. Can I add the fluid without idling the engine, will it cause any problems?
    Thank you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.