it finally happened to me
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, it finally happened to me in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; so all my bragging of how great my car is and has been came to an end tuesday morning. My ...
    Cadi Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Unhappy it finally happened to me

so all my bragging of how great my car is and has been came to an end tuesday morning. My engine blew. I have no idea how it happened. It started to run a little rough monday night like as if there was a little moisture in the gas. My engine light lit and flashed at idle but drove fine. I thought nothing of it but to put some gas treatment in it. Tuesday morning it didnt get any better but so much worse that as I was driving down the road the engine got so loud I thought the exhaust fell off and I all of a sudden had no power and continued to stall out and became harder and harder to start until it just wouldn't crank any more like it seized! My battery def was not dead. Just had my timing belt serviced last fall so I'm left clueless what happened. Took it to the shop they thought it was the starter, (clearley it wasn't) and tried to crank it at the flywheel and it didn't budge. Yes I had oil and no it wasn't overheating. I just need a new moter. How easy is it to put in the 3.2 cts engine in? Cuz that's what I'm going with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wildrage is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1993 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe (N*)

Re: it finally happened to me

[QUOTE]
    Tuesday morning it didnt get any better but so much worse that as I was driving down the road the engine got so loud I thought the exhaust fell off and I all of a sudden had no power and continued to stall out and became harder and harder to start until it just wouldn't crank any more like it seized! My battery def was not dead. QUOTE]
    The blinking check engine light tells you that the engine is missfiring - it even covers it in the users manual. driving under those conditions is a very bad idea. also, after it started running socrappy and stalling - why did you keep on driving it? A lot of bad things could have happened. if the engine was constantly misfired, there could have been detonation. not to try to kick you when you're down - but let this be a lesson to people on what can happen if you don't pay attention to problems with your car.

I've heard that the 3.2 engine puts out similar horsepower to the 3.0. If I were you I'd do a cost/benefit analysis to see if it's worth it. If you can get one at a good price there is minimal modification needed.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

These 3.2 engines are factory fresh, zero mileage engines. These engines have the latest updates like the oil cooler and timing belt tensioner. Buying a used engine is a crapshoot. You're buying someone else's mistakes. Expensive yes, but we know the headaches a used Catera buys you, so can you imagine what kind of grief an undocumented engine will bring?

Externally The 3.2 is identical to the 3.0. Just swap the oil pan & filter, accessories, and plug in the harness & sensors. Your 2000 is already throttle by wire so in a way the swap is a plug & play. They've been swapped into Cateras at least 4 times I know of, with success each time.

click

Elvin

[quote=wildrage;1533511]

The blinking check engine light tells you that the engine is missfiring - it even covers it in the users manual. driving under those conditions is a very bad idea. also, after it started running socrappy and stalling - why did you keep on driving it? A lot of bad things could have happened. if the engine was constantly misfired, there could have been detonation. not to try to kick you when you're down - but let this be a lesson to people on what can happen if you don't pay attention to problems with your car.

I've heard that the 3.2 engine puts out similar horsepower to the 3.0. If I were you I'd do a cost/benefit analysis to see if it's worth it. If you can get one at a good price there is minimal modification needed.
    I know, I'm an idiot. I'm better than this, than I am. Since I'm all about maintaining it like new. I really thought to take it to autozone to have the codes run when it was just idling rough. I'm so angry with myself

I wasn't able to find a used cts engine for a reasonable price so I was forced to go with another 3.0. $500. My cat will soon be alive again.

wildrage is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1993 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe (N*)

Good luck with the swap. Be sure to do some of the maintenence that's soo much easier while the engine is out before you put the new one back in. Are you doing it yourself or letting a shop do it?

Searayjba is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You can still get a brand new engine on eBay for $1600 plus $300 shipping (he only air ships). Call the guy he really knows these engines. They bought the stock of the German engine maker when Cad dropped the Catera. Been using one for about a year. The engine has worked fine. i still am working through the rest of the Catera bugs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.