Catera Overheating...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera Overheating... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok...here's the deal, my catera had an issue over the winter with very little heat while idling, so I purchased ...
    Catera315 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

Exclamation Catera Overheating...

Ok...here's the deal, my catera had an issue over the winter with very little heat while idling, so I purchased 2 aux water pumps and a t-stat. The pump on the drivers side does not seem to be running as if there is no power running to it. Is there a relay that kicks this on or should it be running at all times? And finally, what the title of this thread says...the weather has been getting warmer, and I find my Catera overheating, maybe because that 1 pump not kicking on? There are no clogs in the system, everything has been flushed, another thing I noticed is that when it begins to overheat, I shut the car off and it begins to leak antifreeze from the backside of the motor, looks to be like a plastic cylider type of part where there are a few hoses connected...may this be the problem of my overheating? Any help would be of great thnx!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

Re: Catera Overheating...

Quote Originally Posted by Catera315 View Post
    Ok...here's the deal, my catera had an issue over the winter with very little heat while idling, so I purchased 2 aux water pumps and a t-stat. The pump on the drivers side does not seem to be running as if there is no power running to it. Is there a relay that kicks this on or should it be running at all times? And finally, what the title of this thread says...the weather has been getting warmer, and I find my Catera overheating, maybe because that 1 pump not kicking on? There are no clogs in the system, everything has been flushed, another thing I noticed is that when it begins to overheat, I shut the car off and it begins to leak antifreeze from the backside of the motor, looks to be like a plastic cylider type of part where there are a few hoses connected...may this be the problem of my overheating? Any help would be of great thnx!!!
    The leak you refer to sounds like the heater control valve, it is on the back of the engine towards the pass side under the windshild...fix the leak first. The aux pump on the pass side runs all the time, the one up near the battery runs when the rad cool fan kicks on, are your fans working....

Catera315 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

All fans are working properly, I actually sat and waited for the fans to kick on to see if that pump would kick in, not sure if I felt vibration coming off the pump. Rocks Auto has the control valve for $56, ordering right away, thanx for the advice...will update if any change at all.

wildrage is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1993 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe (N*)

from reading about that aux pump by the battery, no one seems to be clear on when it is supposed to engage. I've read varying accounts from different people. I recently replaced my pump and the relay, and still get nothing when the 1st stage fans come on. I read somewhere else that it doesn't come on until the engine gets even hotter.

If you look at the pump itself, it just cycles coolant from one side of the radiator to the other. I've read that it does very little for cooling, and there are conflicting accounts of when it's actually supposed to switch on several different websites.

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    from reading about that aux pump by the battery, no one seems to be clear on when it is supposed to engage. I've read varying accounts from different people. I recently replaced my pump and the relay, and still get nothing when the 1st stage fans come on. I read somewhere else that it doesn't come on until the engine gets even hotter.

If you look at the pump itself, it just cycles coolant from one side of the radiator to the other. I've read that it does very little for cooling, and there are conflicting accounts of when it's actually supposed to switch on several different websites.
    Your correct, this is a very confusing system. I ran through all the circuits a while back and I had the pump working as designed, for the life of me I can't remember how??? In the book it says when the ign switch is off, coolent temp above 212 deg. both aux fans and the eng coolent fan and the aux pump will stay on until the temp is below 203 deg. Possibly this is activated at shut down and at very high temps when all the fans are at full speed etc. ..??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.