valve cover gasket change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, valve cover gasket change in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anyone have any information/pictures on how to change the valve cover gaskets. I am concerned taking off the top ...
    pghjoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

valve cover gasket change

Does anyone have any information/pictures on how to change the valve cover gaskets. I am concerned taking off the top of the engine and am not sure of all the parts it requires. I believe that you need 4 gaskets, but what else should be changed (any o-rings or anything else)

Should I just change the valve covers while am at it? Advanced auto parts sells the covers with gaskets for about $80 more per side.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

Re: valve cover gasket change

Are you replacing the valve covers with gaskets, and want to know if you need o-rings?Right? Well I just put mine back on and yes, you need the o-rings that go on the inside of the valve covers. The valve cover gaskets seal up the covers, but when you screw it back down you need the o-rings that seal the top. Check under inside the cover and look where the holes are that the screws go in or when you take off the covers there will be small orings.

dwheeler is offline Cadillac Owners Member

While you're at it, look up the thread about unclogging the PCV system. It seems to be the common cause for the valve gasket leaks.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Here are the guides courtesy of the Omega Owners Forum:

Replacing the Cam Cover Gaskets
    Cleaning the Crankcase Breather

Elvin

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

I just finished one of these and i took some pictures!!!!! I'll get the how-to up this week. It will be better for those of you with 1999-2001 cats, or anyone with the 3.2 or that have a later model motor transplanted into theirs? I'll quit rambling. Saves a lot of $ if you do it yourself though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.