Suspension problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Suspension problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I need some help here!! I have a 2000 Cat. When breaking, it feels like a bad rotor. Replaced rotors, ...
    billsyzfr-1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Suspension problems

I need some help here!! I have a 2000 Cat. When breaking, it feels like a bad rotor. Replaced rotors, problem still there. Replacing struts soon. Front end joints, sway feel good, hoping it is just the struts. Need to know, do I have to replace the mounts as well? A while back I had a squeek when I turned at low speeds. Some bearing I was told. Is that bearing part of the strut mount? OK now for the 2nd part. The rear struts are leaking on 1 side, Going to replace them as well. Founr then at Advance for 70 for the air ride. Problem there is the rear tires wore down on the insides. REAL BAD ON 1 SIDE!! Is this an alignment issue in the rear? Appreciate any help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Suspension problems

Sounds like your car has had some rough miles. Need some more details.

Quote Originally Posted by billsyzfr-1 View Post

When breaking, it feels like a bad rotor. Replaced rotors, problem still there.
    Explain. Why do you think it's the brakes? What exactly is the car doing? Does the car pull to one side? If it's pulling it could be bad lower control arm bushings.

Replacing struts soon. Front end joints, sway feel good, hoping it is just the struts. Need to know, do I have to replace the mounts as well?
    What front end joints? Do you mean the ball joints or the bushings? Sway whats? The swaybar bushings or the swaybar droplinks? If you're replacing the struts, why reuse old mounts. They'll just keep the car feeling sluggish.

A while back I had a squeek when I turned at low speeds. Some bearing I was told. Is that bearing part of the strut mount?
    It could be the idler arm bushing, maybe.

OK now for the 2nd part. The rear struts are leaking on 1 side, Going to replace them as well. Founr then at Advance for 70 for the air ride.
    Monroe Max-Air Shocks, right? Are you replacing the air lines or reusing the originals? Crawl underneath and inspect them.

Problem there is the rear tires wore down on the insides. REAL BAD ON 1 SIDE!! Is this an alignment issue in the rear?
    That's usually caused by too much negative camber. It could also be worn or broken trailing/control arm bushings. There are adjustable bushings that help solve that problem. Check the spring mounts. They get crushed over time and change the alignment. The springs themselves sometimes crack too.
    Read my posts on suspension upgrades. Since your practically rebuilding the front and rear suspensions you might want better than the stock components.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...n-issue-3.html

Elvin

vanclot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Suspension problems

Sunds like it may be the stabalizer link. try moving it up and down to see if their is any play. i currently had a similar problem as you and turned out to be the stabalizer link

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.