Catera '99: Trunk lid not closing and Bose radio problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera '99: Trunk lid not closing and Bose radio problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; After some repairs were completed on my Catera '99 a series of problems started. The repairs done were to replace ...
    mikescat1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Catera '99: Trunk lid not closing and Bose radio problems

After some repairs were completed on my Catera '99 a series of problems started. The repairs done were to replace the rotors, correct oil leaks/replace gaskets, change spark plugs, fuel filter and front end alignment.

Immediately after the above listed repairs, the Bose radio and trunk release work erratically. Sometimes no radio at all and trunk release would not work either from the dashboard or the remote. Now the trunk would not even close!

I got a newer remote and had the dealer reprogram it, but the trunk and radio problems remain.

After the rotor replacement, I noticed some rattling noise seemingly coming from my front wheel, for which the mechanic checked and said it needed anti-rattling clips (dealer item). Funny enough, just after putting the wheels back on, the radio worked for a couple hours before it stopped again!

However while the mech was showing me where the clips would go, I noticed that there was a small wire (one for each front wheel) with sort-of a clip head (like sensor) that was not not connected. He told me they were sensors to detect brake wear and I could only connect them with a new special brakes and replacement of the sensor/wire. I'm wondering whether this sensor/wire may be responsible for my radio/trunk woes?

I have read on this forum that the radio and/or trunk problem could be due to the malfunction module, week battery, and maybe a few other possibilities.

Recently, the radio came at start, but cutoff immediately the engine fan came on. Making me to wonder if the radio/trunk woes are due mainly to the multifunction modules as others have hinted.

The battery voltage read lies about halfway the dashboard meter (please attached image).

Also, the fuel door has stopped working properly a while ago, but the door is open so I can refuel.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to properly troubleshoot and solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

5littlebit is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Catera '99: Trunk lid not closing and Bose radio problems

try putting your cat in reverse then pressing the release for the trunk or fuel ( be sure to keep your foot on the brake) it works for me. I will replace the module when the part comes in and hope that fixes the remote and radio.

Thanks for the suggestion. I replaced the multifunction module and now the radio and trunk work. I noticed also that one of the bolts on the trunk latch was missing. Hence, I replaced the hex-screw and now the trunk closes without problems. However, the fuel door is still not auto controlled, but I'm not sweating that.

Only other problem with the Catera is recurrent oil leaks despite it being fixed. Just noticed smoke from under the car one day. Mechanic said an O-ring was broken. Ring replaced but still small oil leaks!

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

just wondering...

my trunk doesn't close unless I lock the car. is this a modual thing?

harleygirl9_15 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: Catera '99: Bose radio problems, fuel door and trunk release

I think I have a module relay problem, my radio has a mind of its own. I can be driving with the radio on for 10mins sometimes an hr before the radio just decides to go dead. It does come back on in a few minutes, but I have discovered that when the radio is out the fuel door, and the trunk releases don't work on the remote. They have never worked on the dash?? Any suggestions?

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

you're on the right thread and your thinking the right part

blackcat8799 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

so would you have to go the dealership to get that module?

You could and should get it from the dealer ... best bet, really. Or try the junk yard --- toss up on that one!

Hucgreen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

what Radio/trunk modual are you talking about. I have the problem with the 2001 catera radio too, and I can't find the diagram for the engine relays anyway to even begin to start switching out the Moduals or relays. Their is a number 10 or 13 relay that are hot to the touch in the engine compartment. They have siemens written on the top and I'm wondering if that could be it. Thanks for all the help you guys are the best.

kriot3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think they are referring to GM part number 90494163. It is listed as a module. Try gmpartsdirect.com if you plan to order it. It is a gray box under the steering column. That module controls fog lights, radio, trunk release, fuel door and probably some other stuff. Search the forums for k134 relay or radio problems and you will find instructions for changing or trying to repair it. Hope this helps

disisjc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Here is a picture of the module that I found on another site
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...e/IMG_0200.jpg
    I looked in the service manual and tried to find the module on my 1999 cat, it wasn't where it shows in there. You have to get where you can feel ( I couldn't actually see it)above the big wire bundle behind the inside fuse panel on drivers side and it is clipped on a support bracket up there. wiggle it around some and it will come off the bracket then it will drop down so that u will be able to do whatever u want with it. Hope this helps. Thought I would never find that varmit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.