A THUNK noise from the glovebox area when I start the car?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, A THUNK noise from the glovebox area when I start the car? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; For about a month there's been a THUNK noise coming from behind the passengers side dash board area, right around ...
    HappyWolverine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

A THUNK noise from the glovebox area when I start the car?

For about a month there's been a THUNK noise coming from behind the passengers side dash board area, right around the glove box area. It occurs as if on cue, about 4 seconds after I start the car

It's a plastic kinda sound, like a golf ball being dropped 12inches onto the plastic dash.

Anyone have any ideas?

I really hope this isnt the begining of another nightmarish odyssey after having just got over one.

d

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: A THUNK noise from the glovebox area when I start the car?

does this happen if your fan if off?

that's where the cabin are intake fan is.

you should try opening the hood, and getting someone to start the car and see if you can pin point where it's coming from.

sorry I coundn't be anymore of a help

Off as in the fan dial set to just one notch cateraowner? If so then yes, as the weather has gotten warmer, the fan has been off.

It sounds like a fan kinda thing. It doesnt sound like an engine issues, agains it's plastic and hollow.

I'll have my g/f start the car 2moro and see whats up.

there should be a climat control button to turn it compleatly off.

I suggest if it sound like a fan thing then take the cabin filter out and you should be able to see the fan then start it up and see what's going on.

Okay NO sound with the climate control panel OFF.

ok then... definatly the fan then.

just pull out the cabin filter andlook at the fan as someone starts it to see what it's doing

lakesidepark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

Talking Re: A THUNK noise from the glovebox area when I start the car?

Could it be as simple as an air door shifting position? I know whether heat or cold, I do not get any circulation until a short delay after startup. If heat, and its a cold start, it is awhile. If its a warm start for heat, or a hot start for AC, then a 4-second delay sounds about right. All about not blowing the incorrect climate-adjusted circulation until the car says it's ready.

In other words, could very well be normal operation and a 'feature' not a 'bug'. Hope so.

P.S. I won't make any suggestions of parts to buy - figures I do it for you and that one time I was wrong? It's a shocker to me.

FYI I thought I was wrong once, but I was only mistaken.

Air door shifting position you are right!!! Thanks guys sorry for my paranoia. GM did a full inspection the cars rocking and I even realized my AC works...woo hoo!

And lakeside you werent wrong before at all...in the end I needed a multifucntion switch anyway, there was just a relay prob/corroded wire issue as well, that snafu'd me.

Peace!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.