Coolant leak could it be head gasket or hcv?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Coolant leak could it be head gasket or hcv? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok heres the symptoms the car (98 catera) will lose coolant and usually not show any signs of smoke at ...
    PEETYZ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Coolant leak could it be head gasket or hcv?

Ok heres the symptoms the car (98 catera) will lose coolant and usually not show any signs of smoke at all. The engine runs perfectly fine no codes either. There is no signs of coolant and oil mixing either thankfully My friends dad thinks its a head gasket but i think its not because the car runs great and no codes it just looses coolant and we cant find where as u cant see any drips from car. I told him the computer would throw a cel pretty fast im afraid not to mention 02 sensors so im puzzled they are going to take the car to my old mechanic who worked on the catera when i owned it but do you guys have any ideas? Im sure they will pressure test the system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

todd2fst4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Re: Coolant leak could it be head gasket or hcv?

Could be the HCV. it doesn't leak steadily when it does leak, only intermittently which could be the reason you can't find any signs of it.

sounds like you got rid of the car at a good time based on all the posts you've been making.

livebait is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

When checking into a leak that is located on the driver side on the Catera there is usually a few things to look for.
    Is the leak dripping from the manifold? If it is, then it will probably end up being the Head Gasket.
    But before assuming the worst check out the obvious first.
    Look for a leak in the HCV, Coolant Return Pipe, Oil Cooler Cover, Water Crossover or even the thermostat.
    I just completed a complete head job on my Catera and it was the head gasket that caused the mystery leak coming from the Driver Manifold.
    One thing that should be noted, The factory engine coolant is the red type and that type is highly corrosive. When changing over the head gasket or doing a complete Flush then change to the Green coolant. I can show the damage on my head gaskets that where eaten away because of the coolant. The head was not damaged but you could clearly see where the coolant ate into the gasket and eventually worked its way out into a leak.
    I will post some picture if you would like just email me

Thanks Keith

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by livebait View Post
    When checking into a leak that is located on the driver side on the Catera there is usually a few things to look for.
    Is the leak dripping from the manifold? If it is, then it will probably end up being the Head Gasket.
    But before assuming the worst check out the obvious first.
    Look for a leak in the HCV, Coolant Return Pipe, Oil Cooler Cover, Water Crossover or even the thermostat.
    I just completed a complete head job on my Catera and it was the head gasket that caused the mystery leak coming from the Driver Manifold.
    One thing that should be noted, The factory engine coolant is the red type and that type is highly corrosive. When changing over the head gasket or doing a complete Flush then change to the Green coolant. I can show the damage on my head gaskets that where eaten away because of the coolant. The head was not damaged but you could clearly see where the coolant ate into the gasket and eventually worked its way out into a leak.
    I will post some picture if you would like just email me

Thanks Keith
    is it ok to switch coolant like that?

I assume the dexcool is the redstuff, and the green stuff is the regular coolant right? I've always had problems with the dexcool crap, so if I can I will flush it out and put regular coolant in.

I'm having the same mystery coolant leak and and see anything. I only notice the tank get lower, but no wet spots. ( i smell it when I drive the car hard.)

it would be awsome if you can post a picture where you found you leak.

Thanks

catera owner same symptoms here tank lowers not leak or drips seen

Motohead1115 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by cateraowner View Post

I'm having the same mystery coolant leak and and see anything. I only notice the tank get lower, but no wet spots. ( i smell it when I drive the car hard.)

it would be awsome if you can post a picture where you found you leak.

Thanks
    Same thing here (I smell it to) in addition I've noticed some milky sludge around the edge of the oil filler cap.I changed the oil but it looks ok no smoke out the tailpipe either no coolent in oil says Headgasket ok but skudge in oil filler tube says Headgasket blown anyone ever tryed this? http://www.steelseal.com/eng/home.html

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Motohead1115 View Post
    Same thing here (I smell it to) in addition I've noticed some milky sludge around the edge of the oil filler cap.I changed the oil but it looks ok no smoke out the tailpipe either no coolent in oil says Headgasket ok but skudge in oil filler tube says Headgasket blown anyone ever tryed this? http://www.steelseal.com/eng/home.html
    My only thought is if it finds and seals a blown head gasket, what keeps it from finding and filling a vital engine part?

livebait is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just finished rebuilding another cat engine today. The only thing wrong with these things is the accessories. Once you got them out of the way the rest is pretty basic. Another head gasket chewed by the antifreeze.

I have checked with the cadillac service and the green type coolant is warrantied. The rad shop said that they would never put the red into anything. The only thing i would suggest is to make sure the car is completely flushed out before changing.

The white stuff in the filler tube is not a sure sign of a bad head gasket. If your car is not being driven for long periods of time then a moisture of that will build in the filler tube. I have pulled off the Valve cover gaskets thinking the same thing but it is only in the filler tube.
    I found that a good run on the car will even make that moisture go away. The cause of the moisture is from the engine crankcase not ventilating properly. When this happens you will have the tendancy to blow the valve cover gaskets. Take the time to maintane the breather system. It is a lot cheaper then what could happen. There is a great how to in the opel area.

Respectfully Keith
    www.livebaitandtackle.com

Po Pimp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92' Eldorado, 97 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by livebait View Post
    type and that type is highly corrosive. When changing over the head gasket or doing a complete Flush then change to the Green coolant. I can show the damage on my head gaskets that where eaten away because of the coolant. The head was not damaged but you could clearly see where the coolant ate into the gasket and eventually worked its way out into a leak.
    It is not the red coolant. It is when people mix the green and the red together. Then it becomes corrosive.

Sludge on the oil filler cap could be from a number of things. The most common is the use of convention oil and not synthetic.

You guys are really just going to have to inspect the backside of the engine. It is blistering hot back there during operation, add on the fact that the exhaust runs directly under a couple components and odds of you seeing any on the ground is greatly dimenished. This is something you would rather do sooner then later. You can cause further damage to ignition coils....etc..from letting it go.

I called it............ my mechanic called my buddy and said heater control valve my friend was relieved fearing for the worse of a blown head gasket

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

good to hear.... any one know how I check that? I don't know where or what the heater control valve is...

its the thing behind engine with hoses going into it and out of it it has vacume line on top

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.