weird steering problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, weird steering problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey im havin a strange problem with my buddys catera does this car have a steering rack? the steering is ...
    PEETYZ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

weird steering problem

Hey im havin a strange problem with my buddys catera does this car have a steering rack? the steering is tight but when u hit the brakes the car pulls left and wheel turns its not a sticky caliper they were replaced and problem still stands

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: weird steering problem

im afraid it may be the steering box =( anyone know of any forsale?

Cadi Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

It does this on a straight flat road?

well its weird if you jerk the wheel it will sit in a off center direction either way u jerk it and will pull to the left during braking when wheel is in center it brakes fine im confused

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

No rack & pinion steering. The Catera uses reciprocating ball. The power steering is variable effort, where the power assist is strongest as low speeds and decreases as you go faster. Could be that the steering pump might be low on fluid or need a flush. Check the hoses for leaks. Might need a new pump. Not sure if the ECM had to do with steering but you never know. Any codes?

Might not be the steering at all. Worn or damaged front end control arm bushings could be causing the wheels to toe out under braking. Not sure how to check them but I know it involves using a pry bar to force the control arm away from its mount and look for tears in the rubber or hydraulic fluid (the rear/vertical bearing is filled with oil). Could be worn tie rod ends.

Elvin

by the way discount steering has steering boxes for all year catera for 350 with a year warranty cheapest place other wise is gmparts direct 1,200 no warranty

Is steering box a common thing to go out at 115k or so?

by the way the car is aligned and the shop said u may have a bad engine mount? no engine codes either

ford302 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

check the front suspention sounds like a possible ceased joint or loose control arm bushing that will cause a pull when braking

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Check the idler arm for play... do that with some sort of bar it wont budge if you try to pull it by hand but if it does move that allows for tow out... and as a result you get that pull... mine did that too on badly grooved roads... it pulled left then right then left.. depending on which wheel was being pushed...

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

not sure if its same strut system that the grand ams have but my grand am had strut bushings that would bind.. very evry comman.. then car would pull one direction.. then sometiems other direction..

TitanCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Check the front lower control arm bushings and see if they're torn.

1998catera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Shopping!

I know that for my 1998, it was a tie rod end. Weird, huh?

sirmqc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to post for anyone else searching around... my 98 did the exact same thing. It also had slow leak around rim seal on several tires, when the front tires would get low it would pull much worse, but it was always there. It progressively got worse over time. I just replaced both lower control arms, and this completely resolved the pulling (and significant vibration) when braking.

On the removed parts, the rear (vertical) bushings were obviously worn. But on the passenger side, the bushing actually just fell out of the control arm.

If you feel shaking while braking (in the steering wheel and not brake pedal), and/or pulling to one side when braking, definitely check the control arm bushings.

Only issue now is with front end vibration at ~60mph. From what I've read, this is likely to be either wheel balance or tie rod ends. Since this just started more recently and I rotated tires front to back with no change, I suspect tie rod ends. I'm guessing the 8 or 10 months of severe shaking from bad bushings probably pushed the original tie rod ends over the edge. At least the ends are fairly cheap from rock auto :-)

RPerry435 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

$100 bucks says its your Horizontal Control Arm Bushings, your describing a common problem , those symptoms can be seen as little as 60k.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.