Suspension Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Suspension Issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ever since my Mom had this car, when hitting a speed bump, even at low speed, there was a clunk ...
    wufibug is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Suspension Issue

Ever since my Mom had this car, when hitting a speed bump, even at low speed, there was a clunk from the right side suspension. Asked the dealer who said that all Catera's had a clunk. Not satisfactory. It has gotten somewhat worse. I put drilled slotted rotors on last summer. After a short while, after the brakes warmed up, I experienced severe buffetting through the steering wheel and I could see the gear shifter shake. Concluded it was badly warped rotors and exchanged them [the wheels had been overtightened, and I was careful to torque on the second set]. Cured for a short time. Comes back after any hard braking. I am still leaning to bad rotors [2 sets!!??], but with the clunk, I am wondering if this might be related to the suspension issue. I have looked underneath, but did not see anything obvious. Wierd, I know, but any ideas? Oh, one other issue. This has the chromed wheels. I had a flat on the left front, and when the tire was off I noticed some corrosion at the bead. That wheel/tire has a slow leak at the bead. I am wondering if the overtightening may have warped a wheel, not the rotors. I thought these wheels were chromed steel, so warping was not much of an issue. Wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

Re: Suspension Issue

I've got the same problem with the clunk noise coming from the passenger side front when going over a speed bump. I never hear it any other time, of course, I'm pretty anal when it comes to missing potholes. I haven't tried tackling this yet. Keep me informed if you find anything out. Thanks

PEETYZ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

loose steering ? i replaced my idler arm and srtuts and the problem almost completely went away

sccatera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Catera 2002 SEville STS

Check yor end links on the front sway bar. The wear out and if the car is off the ground, it is hard to check. You can get them from Advance auto parts for about $26 each. Here is a photo of what the end link looks like.

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I think joining this forum was the best thing I could have done!

Jen_Kenne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by Army_MP_From_MO View Post
    You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I think joining this forum was the best thing I could have done!

Sure beats the dealer!

I have two 97 Cateras, 1 I drive and 1 I am dismantling. I am using it for my test mule for my SC V6 conversion and if I need to figure out how something workd, I try it on the mule so I don't tear up my driver. If I can help, I am glad to.

wufibug is offline Cadillac Owners Member

No, the steering seems OK. It really sounds like a strut mount to me. Car has under 70k, so the struts and mounts should be OK, but . . . . If I figure this one out, I'll post. Thanks for the suggestions.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

The front suspension has several known issues. The clunking is usually attributed to the anti-sway bar down links or the steering tie rod ends. Even if the steering seems fine don't rule them out.

Elvin

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

please keep us posted.

I'm hearing clunking, but the weird thing is the colder it is the more clunking I hear. on warm days I rarely hear it.

gunther1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'm hearing a small clunk also but do need front sstruts so I think it may be them bottomong or topping out at the end of the stroke hitting the bumpers when going over sharp bumps... I have a small shake also that is very similar to the above withthe trans shifter and head rest moving slightly like a wheel balance issue but we will see...

MaesMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

i got the same problem. already replaced the idler arm, and the outer tie rod ends. got new tires put on less then a year ago, got it balanced and aligned then, ball joints seemed fine. gonna go ahead and replace the anti sway bar links friday. anything special i gotta do? just jack up the car pull the old ones off and put on the new ones?

No they are relatively easy to install. You will need a wrench to keep the end from spinning. I think it is a 17 mm. When you look at the link where it connects, you will see flat spots to keep it from spinning when you take the nut off.

cadmanchris is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS,2007 STS V8

A pretty common issue on front ends on these were lower control arm bushings. You can check them with a pry bar. I've done several. HTH.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by cadmanchris View Post
    A pretty common issue on front ends on these were lower control arm bushings. You can check them with a pry bar. I've done several. HTH.
    Yes, but they'll cause tires to wear on the inside, alignment problems, and tramlining but not clunks.

Elvin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.