2000 catera transmission issue 80k miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2000 catera transmission issue 80k miles in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2000 catera with 80K miles on it has a problem shifting when the car starts running only when its ...
    Just_me is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2000 catera transmission issue 80k miles

My 2000 catera with 80K miles on it has a problem shifting when the car starts running only when its cold and not worm enough. If I drive it that way before you know it often times the "S" sports mode light starts flashing and then the car can't shift hears no more. I was thinking maybe I need to change my transmission fluid, but it seems so complicated so I wanted to get more help. I think I found the drain plug, but it seems like its a bit high, so I was wondering if that will get all the oil out. And one big question is where is the fill hole located? I can't seem to find it, is it located somewhere really close to where the drain hole is? I just don't want to unscrew anything extra. And I was thinking if that would be okay to just change the oil and not the filer, withough going through so much trouble. It's just im not even sure if the oil is causing the problem. Also, what kind of transmission oil would be recommeneded? and how much oil should be in the transmssion? Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PEETYZ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: 2000 catera transmission issue 80k miles

The drain bolt is on the side if you unscrew it fluid should come out if not you are low and need at add fluid use a synthetic trans fluid like valvoline max life or something i added a bottle of lucas transmission fix which renews existing fluid and lubricates the bands and loosens sticky valves. My advice for you is to jack the car up level both back and front after the tranny is slightly warm and then un screw bolt on side i would add as much lucas or fluid as you can before it fills and starts comming out of the hole. when that happens replace screw immediately. This is a simple way with out taking the tranny oil pan apart and stuff. My guess is your car is just a bit low on fluid.

PEETYZ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Heres some info from out Omega friends

How to check the auto box fluid level
    Jul 13th, 2006, 10:39am This is the method which I use and find it works quite well. (note pic, to follow).

First, the gearbox oil needs to be warm, idealy between about 40-80 deg's so take the car for a short run.

Now jack up the drivers side (passenger side if left hand drive) and support on a suitable axle stand. Note, the car needs to be on a fairly flat surface.

Warning: The Catalytic converters get very hot and the level plug is very close to them so be careful!)

Place a suitable container underneath the auto box and locate the oil level plug, slacken it off with a 13mm socket (you could use a spanner but, a socket is easier), dont fully remove it.

Now chock the wheels, ensure the auto box is in park and start the engine.

Carefuly reach under the car, position the container below the level plug and remove the level plug.

Using Dextron 3 ATF top the fluid level up until it just starts to run out, for top ups I buy a 1 litre bottle with the long extandable plastic delivery tube, insert the tube into the level plug and squeeze.

Now, with the engine still running, lower the car off the jack, the excess fluid will run out and into the container.

Jack the car again and refit the level plug with a new washer (if you dont have one then heat it up to re-anneal the old washer before fitting).

Wipe off any oil runs from the gearbox sump and jobs a good un

Just_me is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thanks for the help you guys!
    So do I fill up the oil in the same whole that I drain the oil from?
    From what i'm seeing or read looks like there is only one bolt to drain and fill back up, is that correct?

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Just_me View Post
    Thanks for the help you guys!
    So do I fill up the oil in the same whole that I drain the oil from?
    From what i'm seeing or read looks like there is only one bolt to drain and fill back up, is that correct?
    Let's clear up a few things. GM designed the gearbox to be a sealed unit, never to need fluid checked or refilled. At least not by the owners. Hence the missing dipstick. Secondly, there is no drain hole. The only plug is to allow techs to check the level and top it off. Now that's really stupid, isn't it? To check the fluid level and/or top it off (using DEXRON III only) requires crawling under the car. To drain the fluid you have to drop the transmission's 2 pans. Click on the pictures for additional instructions and photos courtesy of the Vauxhall Owners Network.

Pans, Filter, & Fill Plug

Removal Procedure
    1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
    2. Place a drain pan under the transmission main case oil pan.
    3. Remove the front and side transmission oil pan bolts only.
    4. Loosen the rear transmission oil pan bolts approximately four turns.
    5. Lightly tap the transmission oil pan with a rubber mallet or pry to drain the fluid from the main case oil pan.
    6. Remove the transmission oil filter bolts.
    7. Remove the transmission oil filter.
    8. Remove the transmission oil filter gasket.
    9. Place a drain pan under the transmission front oil pan.
    10. Remove the rear bolts from the transmission front oil pan.
    11. Remove the front bolts from the transmission front oil pan leaving one corner bolt in loosely.
    12. Lightly tap oil pan with rubber mallet or pry to drain fluid.
    13. Clean the following components:
    • The main transmission case.
    • The transmission front adapter case.
    • Both pans' gasket surfaces with solvent.
    • The filter gasket surfaces.
    • Remove all traces of old gasket material.
    • Let all parts air dry.

Installation Procedure
    1. Install the transmission oil filter gasket. Install the transmission oil filter.
    Notice
    Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
    2. Install the transmission oil filter bolts. Tighten the transmission oil filter bolts to 20 Nm (15 lb ft).
    3. Install the transmission front oil pan gasket.
    4. Install the transmission front oil pan.
    5. Install the front oil pan bolts. Tighten the front oil pan bolts to 11 Nm (96 lb in).
    6. Install the transmission main case oil pan gasket.
    7. Install the transmission main case oil pan.
    8. Install the transmission main case oil pan bolts. Tighten the main case oil pan bolts to 11 Nm (96 lb in).
    9. Refill the transmission with DEXRON III. Fill the transmission (using and oil suction gun) to lower edge of oil pan fill plug opening.
    10. Tighten Tighten the oil pan fill plug to 45 Nm (33 lb ft).
    11. Lower the vehicle.
    12. Inspect the transmission fluid level. Refer to Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure .

Elvin

mdksupra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera, Platinum

this should be sticky

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.