aftermarket stereo install for 00-01 Catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, aftermarket stereo install for 00-01 Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, since there is nothing on the forum about how to install an aftermarket stereo in a 2000-2001 catera, I'm ...
    catera00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

aftermarket stereo install for 00-01 Catera

Ok, since there is nothing on the forum about how to install an aftermarket stereo in a 2000-2001 catera, I'm gonna share my experience. Unless theres a magical kit that fits perfect, you'll have to modify it to make it work. The install kit I bought was by Best Kits. It says its for a 96-01 Catera/ Deville/Grand Prix. This is the brand a lot of installers sell. I bought it from a professional shop.

As with everything else on this car, it did not install easily. I had to modify the pocket to fit in the opening. The pocket was 1/2 inch too wide. I had to cut 1/4 inch from each side of the pocket all the way up to the shorter of the 2 mounting "legs". Do not cut all the way to the front opening of the pocket! Stop about 1 inch away. I also had to trim a couple other spots on the kit to get it to fit.

I removed the mounting bracket from the car to make it easier to measure everything. You can see here how much wider the pocket is than the opening it needs to go into.

Here's the kit after I cut the sides enough to fit. Theres also a whole cut for my iPod cable so it can come through the pocket.

Heres another view

The shorter leg is about 1/4-1/5 inch too short. I just skipped putting screw in them. They are the bottom legs. You could use some washers and a longer screw I suppose.

This tab has to be removed from each side as well.

I didnt close in the sides of the pocket because the mounting bracket is black plastic too so it looks fine.

And the final product

This was the most modifying I've ever had to do on a stereo install. If you measure carefully and keep your cuts clean it will turn out nice. Remember to but an equal amount from each side of the pocket or it will be off center.

As for the wiring harness, it was also a Best Kits brand. The only thing I had to do was attach the red ignition wire to another ignition switched wire. For some reason when I plugged it in, there was no power to the red wire. I tapped into the plug that houses the heated seats (Which I dont have). Otherwise it works fine. Hope this helps. I know I sure struggled with finding any info on it. Good luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dawgjoose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 CATERA, 2001 STS

Re: aftermarket stereo install for 00-01 Catera

Thanks For The Visual Install. It's Very Helpful. (thinking About Ditching The Bose In Mine.) I Need Mp3 Capabilities!

Quote Originally Posted by dawgjoose View Post
    Thanks For The Visual Install. It's Very Helpful. (thinking About Ditching The Bose In Mine.) I Need Mp3 Capabilities!
    No prob. I think you have to get a different wiring harness for a Bose system because all the places I called asked me if mine was Bose. Its not so I dont know what else you have to do. I imagine you'd just need to have power to the stock amp to run the speakers. Just ask some install shops (Not Best Buy, an actual car audio installer) . Good luck. Let me know if you get stuck and need help.

MaesMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

i actually kept the bose system in mine. i installed a navigation system with mp3 capabilities and have it plugged into the CD changer on the factory bose system and have the hook up wire inside my glovebox. every couple weeks just plug my laptop in and add all the new music i got downloaded. stores 10 gigs of music. i have the iway 500 by lawrence. i'll post pictures as soon as i get a new camera, mine went for a swim =(

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

so the bose system works with the specific harness? no additional wireing needed?

I have reposted the pics so everyone can see them since my old web host went out of business taking my domain name with them.

The install kit I bought was by Best Kits. It says its for a 96-01 Catera/ Deville/Grand Prix. This is the brand a lot of installers sell. I bought it from a professional shop.

As with everything else on this car, it did not install easily. I had to modify the pocket to fit in the opening. The pocket was 1/2 inch too wide. I had to cut 1/4 inch from each side of the pocket all the way up to the shorter of the 2 mounting "legs". Do not cut all the way to the front opening of the pocket! Stop about 1 inch away. I also had to trim a couple other spots on the kit to get it to fit.

I removed the mounting bracket from the car to make it easier to measure everything. You can see here how much wider the pocket is than the opening it needs to go into.

Here's the kit after I cut the sides enough to fit. Theres also a whole cut for my iPod cable so it can come through the pocket.

Heres another view

The shorter leg is about 1/4-1/5 inch too short. I just skipped putting screw in them. They are the bottom legs. You could use some washers and a longer screw I suppose.

This tab has to be removed from each side as well.

I didnt close in the sides of the pocket because the mounting bracket is black plastic too so it looks fine.

And the final product

This was the most modifying I've ever had to do on a stereo install. If you measure carefully and keep your cuts clean it will turn out nice. Remember to cut an equal amount from each side of the pocket or it will be off center. You cant tell its been cut once you install it since everything is black inside the pocket.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

i bought a kit from circut city and it fit like a glove. i did do isystem so i had to rit on a pre-facelift cat but no modification needed except a few clips pulled off but it has instructions telling you which ones to pull. I did it on a bose system so i had to run wires to the amp in the back. I think i'm going to run it all on a new amp too.

Sabresch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Im slowly gathering my parts for this adventure with my Cat. Its becoming quite the kit car. Anyways I found this site which lists part No#'s and has instructions in PDF format. Google metraonline to get the link since I cant post links yet. I have gotten the faceplate and it lists pretty much all of the mod's you made with yours but is precut for them. Will post more as I progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabresch View Post
    Im slowly gathering my parts for this adventure with my Cat. Its becoming quite the kit car. Anyways I found this site which lists part No#'s and has instructions in PDF format. Google metraonline to get the link since I cant post links yet. I have gotten the faceplate and it lists pretty much all of the mod's you made with yours but is precut for them. Will post more as I progress.
    Damn!! Wish I had that kit when I did mine. I was in a small town at the time so maybe they didnt have an updated version. You really should never have to modify a kit like that to make it work

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Did you guys end up getting the model number from Metra? Is your kit a Double DIN or Single? Never mind, for all those that want it, the part no Metra Electronics Corp. - 99-2004. Full PDF intructions are nice

Quote Originally Posted by Matera97 View Post
    Did you guys end up getting the model number from Metra? Is your kit a Double DIN or Single? Never mind, for all those that want it, the part no Metra Electronics Corp. - 99-2004. Full PDF intructions are nice
    and a link to the pdf:
    http://documents.victorytechnologies...roduct/930.pdf

Sorry forgot to post that, to busy printing them off, lol. So I got a little question. I know the post facelift Bose system has speakers on the rear shelf. Did the prefacelift have these speakers as well? I dont' think I have the Bose(glass display was gone when bought), which blows, cause I don't have the rear shelf speakers. I do however see where they are suposed to go in the rear shelf. Has anyone installed 6.5s in the rear self and cut out the holes in the fibre glass top?

Sorry forgot to post that, to busy printing them off, lol. So I got a little question. I know the post facelift Bose system has speakers on the rear shelf. Did the prefacelift have these speakers as well? I dont' think I have the Bose(glass display was gone when bought), which blows, cause I don't have the rear shelf speakers. I do however see where they are suposed to go in the rear shelf. Has anyone installed 6.5s in the rear self and cut out the holes in the fibre glass top?
    I have a non-Bose system and have the same thing as you.(post face lift though) A grill that goes across the rear deck. But underneath looks like its all metal and you couldnt get a speaker to drop in that spot. Maybe some shallow 4x6's? I wonder if the Bose has cut outs there.

I know that grill that you're talking about, there is nothing under that as far as I'm aware, possibly some tweeters. Take a look in the trunk up at the rear deck. Mine has the holes underneath, but peices of metal were poorly welded there, probably will just pop off with a flat head. I'm thinking that once I get the after market deck up front, I will pop the metal peices off, drop some 6.5s in with base cups, and hook them up to an amp. Aside from putting a 12" woofer in. I'm thinking that a customer box or mount over the left rear wheel section of the trunk would look really clean, I don't think that it will hold a 12 though, possibly a ten, don't want to go as far as an 8 though. Catera00, do you already have a sub in? If you do, where did you run your power cable through the firewall?

I know that grill that you're talking about, there is nothing under that as far as I'm aware, possibly some tweeters. Take a look in the trunk up at the rear deck. Mine has the holes underneath, but peices of metal were poorly welded there, probably will just pop off with a flat head. I'm thinking that once I get the after market deck up front, I will pop the metal peices off, drop some 6.5s in with base cups, and hook them up to an amp. Aside from putting a 12" woofer in. I'm thinking that a customer box or mount over the left rear wheel section of the trunk would look really clean, I don't think that it will hold a 12 though, possibly a ten, don't want to go as far as an 8 though. Catera00, do you already have a sub in? If you do, where did you run your power cable through the firewall?
    I'll have to check that out cause that would be nice to have speakers in the rear deck. I dont have an amp in this car. I'm gonna get an Infinity Basslink which has a built in amp. Thought it would look nice tucked up in that cut out on the driver's side in front of the wheel well (I think thats where you were talking about).

I hadnt figured out where in the firewall to come through yet. I know there a spot on the drivers side where a vacuum line goes through. Otherwise I'll just run the power wire out the bottom of the trunk (and seal it with some silicone)and run it under the car with some shielding to protect it and then run some rca's up to the deck under the carpet and center console.

I just need to get a Basslink. I have a couple amps, a crossover and a 12" in a box from another system. Maybe I'll sell those or trade em for one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.