Timing Belt Change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Timing Belt Change in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Guys, need some insight. My son recently purchased a 00 catera w/ 75000 miles on it, so we are ...
    fron3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 Catera

Timing Belt Change

Hey Guys, need some insight. My son recently purchased a 00 catera w/ 75000 miles on it, so we are new to the Catera family. I've been reading thru this forum and find it very helpful to those of us that enjoy messing with our own vehicles. I've seen where it is recommended to change timing belt and idler assy at around 60000 miles, and given that we don't have any maintenance records on the vehicle, I figure I better git r done! Given that we typically do our own maintenance and repairs (I try to take the mentoring role, but typically end up getting my hands dirtier than he does?!) I've found the kit at Rock Auto, but I'm wondering if I'm gonna need any special tools and how much time its gonna take? Any insight would be helful. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Timing Belt Change

You can perform the replacement yourself but only if you have the V6 Locking Kit. Without it the cams or crank will move from the proper positions and the timing will be shot to hell. Read more courtesy of the Omega Owners Forum and the Catera/Yahoo Group (you may have to register). The VX Network instuctions are for a transverse V6 but once the belt and tensioner are uncovered the rest is the same.

http://www.ledfix.com/timingbelttoolrental.html
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1156070744
    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4GzFR-s...ter%20Pump.htm
    http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49508

Elvin

Cadi Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

I had mine replaced by a local garage. For just over $300 it was well worth it. There is no way I could have torn down the front of that engine and do it myself.

fron3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 Catera

Great reply Elvin315, lots of great info there. Sounds like a nice little sunday afternoon project for me and my son. I'll be supervising of course?! Probably won't attempt for a week or 2, but when we (he) gets done I'll let you all know how it went.
    Thanks aqain elvin315!

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Those that can, do. Those that can't, give free internet advise.

I'm jealous. I wish I could do it myself but I don't have the tools, place, or confidence. I used to do this stuff years ago but now that I'm alone, and down to one car, I can't afford to make mistakes that will have it out of commission for very long.

In the UK they just had a cambelt weekend. A mass gathering of Omega owners to help each other maintain their cars. Wish we would do something like that. It would be worth driving a few hundred miles to me just to meet some of you and talk Cateras, eat some burgers, and fix our cars.

Elvin

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

That sounds like a great idea, so IDK i am in CHICAGO - DETROIT area so any of the ones around here can probalby do something like that, mine is due for cambelt change in 7K miles and, we can maybe even do some brake swaps or even some other issues... but who has got the garage and tools to provide?
    I will be willing to drive a few hundred miles to meet with some of you guys... LEts get a meeting just for a photoshoot and a cruise...

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'd be down with that... but unfortunatly I'm all the way in calgary alberta, but if this happens somewhere within a days drive away I'd be happy to do it. any escuse to drive the Cat

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Quote Originally Posted by cateraowner View Post
    I'd be down with that... but unfortunatly I'm all the way in calgary alberta, but if this happens somewhere within a days drive away I'd be happy to do it. any escuse to drive the Cat
    Now thats the spirit... sorry for jacking up this thread.. but I think there are alot of Catera Owners in the Mid west region so we can do something like IL, IN, OH, MI meet somewehre in the middle... where its closest to everyone...

rinverso is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 catera

Quote Originally Posted by fron3 View Post
    Great reply Elvin315, lots of great info there. Sounds like a nice little sunday afternoon project for me and my son. I'll be supervising of course?! Probably won't attempt for a week or 2, but when we (he) gets done I'll let you all know how it went.
    Thanks aqain elvin315!
    a word of advise......tell your son....do not, i repeat do not jump on the gas. this could cause the belt to jump and miss timing. which will bend minimum 8 valves. yes thats major engine teardown time. i speak from experience.
    have fun, robert
    Attached Images

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by rinverso View Post
    a word of advise......tell your son....do not, i repeat do not jump on the gas. this could cause the belt to jump and miss timing. which will bend minimum 8 valves. yes thats major engine teardown time. i speak from experience.
    have fun, robert
    just wondering, do you mean ever? or just after you do the timing belt change.

MaesMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    Now thats the spirit... sorry for jacking up this thread.. but I think there are alot of Catera Owners in the Mid west region so we can do something like IL, IN, OH, MI meet somewehre in the middle... where its closest to everyone...
    maybe we should start another thread. in oklahoma atm, been waiting for an excuse to go up to ohio and see some of my friends up there.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

We are the guys that have the rental kits available. GM tool J-42069.

I just did my wifes 2003 Saturn VUE belt about 6 weeks ago. Not to bad, about a 4 hour job start to finish. Taking my time and pictures etc.

The only problem was my tensioner did not match the GM online service manual for Saturn 2003. Screwed with that for 30-40 minutes. When I looked up 2001 Catera there was the version I had.

The VUE had 120K on before I did the belt. I would cringe everytime she started it. Got into some warm weather so I went ahead and replaced the belt.

We have five J-42069 kits right now.

Logan Diagnostic LLC
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

rinverso is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 catera

i love jumping on my cat now.....now that my timing belt, tensioner, heads and 12 bent valves have been replaced by my extended warranty company. at a cost of $4,600. $100 of which i had to pay, and also without a car for three weeks. its running like new now, but if i was suspect of the timing belt or tensioner. i'd be weary, especially with the restrictor engine in this german car.
    a word to the wise is sufficiant.
    robert
    btw. this occured 3 months ago

Hemi_Tom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4 DI. '98 Catera

If you need the complete timing belt tool with instructions, I rent it out for $50.00 a week plus shipping. A few folks on this list have rented it with no problems. You can e mail me for further information at Mail@AutoTechUnlimited.com

Tom Hunsaker

szaeske is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Catera

I am getting ready to do my timing belt on my '97 that i bought a few weeks ago with 130,000 miles. I did check with the dealer and the mechanical water pump, all pulleys and the belt were changed at 60,000 miles, but as it is well documented, i need to get this changed ASAP. I was planning on buying the timing component kit (includes belt, tensioner, and 2 idlers), the mechanical water pump, and the serpentine belt while is was in there and had everything apart. I was looking at rockauto for all the parts. I have bought a few parts from them already and i have to say, there prices are unmatched by any of the GM wholesale sites and they ship quickly and even answer there phones when you call to ask about a part. I really liked dealing with them.

A few questions for anyone that may have already done this:
    1. is there any difference between the GATES TCK285 kit and the ACDELCO TCK285 kits? I have been doing a lot of reading about this and thought i saw someone mention there may be some difference in the belt reference marks or something. Sorry i don't have any specifics regarding posts and where i saw this. The search on this forum isn't very good and i simply can't find the post i am referencing.

2. Does anyone have any pros/cons regarding all the different water pumps available. I won't bother listing all the P/Ns, but they have gates, acdelco, airtex, cardone and so on...just wondering if anyone may have had any bad luck with a particular one.

3. Then of course, same question for the serpentine belt....they have gates, dayco, and acdelco available.

4. Is there anything else i should do while i am in there with everything apart? I know there are a few more things i may have to address soon, such as HCV, oil cooler/exchanger, etc...but didn't remember reading about anything else to do while replacing the timing belt.

I have emailed Tom at Autotechunlimited regarding the alignment tool and am waiting to hear back, so i hope i have everything covered.

I am going to really try to document the hell out of the job with pictures for everyone's future reference when i do this job. I read through several of the european threads that Elvin provided in this thread and others regarding our timing belts and none of them seemed to be as complete as they could be, so i will try to fix us up here on this side of the pond with something similar. I just hope i can post the pics when i get going. I am new here and don't even know if i am allowed to post pics since i don't have many posts yet, but i will certainly try.

thanks and wish me luck

-scott

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.