Timing Belt Change - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Timing Belt Change in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ive got the kent moore kit that I would be willing to rent out. with printed off step by step ...
    flossinon24s is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Timing Belt Change

ive got the kent moore kit that I would be willing to rent out. with printed off step by step directions from gm

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

You will need the tensioner wrench.

The Kent Moore kit has the tensioner wrench. The Baum kit does not include the wrench. A Craftsman wrench will not work as it is too shallow.

I dont think the 'tom' kit has the needed wrench.

We have a couple Kent Moore kits available, and of course, several Baum kits. Our rental kits include the required wrench. 30 day rental.

As for the engine. Used for about 10 years. The are several configurations. Mostly related the different pulley assemblies etc.

Some Saab's have a adjustable lower tensioner. Many latter (Saturn/Catera) versions have a fixed pully.

Bank 1-2 tensioners. Several different versions available. Also updated tensioners. I think the rule for the tensioners is 'black is bad, brown is good.'

All use the same timing belt. That being said, the belt has paint marks on it for direction of rotation, TDC, and cam marks. But being there is more then 1 version. Most belts have 2 sets of TDC marks, and multiple cam TDC marks. The trick is figuring out which paint marks to use.

It should be noted: TDC marks for both the crank at engine are at the bottom of the engine. Not to be confused with BDC.

The job can be done. IF you have the tool. Certainly easier then installing a TCC transmission solenoid on a Northstar L480 PO741 issue.

Picture is AWD Saturn VUE timing belt change. Using Baum 4145 kit.

Logan Diagnostic LLC
    www.ledfix.com/timingbelttoolrental.html
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

szaeske is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Catera

Quote Originally Posted by flossinon24s View Post
    ive got the kent moore kit that I would be willing to rent out. with printed off step by step directions from gm
    can you email the details to szaeske@yahoo.com?

thanks,

scott

srinne is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a lot of pictures of the timing belt in my "engine removal" thread. It might help to see it before you start tearing apart your engine.

szaeske is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Catera

Quote Originally Posted by srinne View Post
    I have a lot of pictures of the timing belt in my "engine removal" thread. It might help to see it before you start tearing apart your engine.
    yes, I have gone through your thread many, many times. very nice thread BTW. Tons of good information in there. I certainly wasn't trying to slight your thread. I just thought it would be cool to have the timing belt/tensioner procedure itself documented with pictures.

thanks,

scott

CaddyMD is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mine got changed at 58,000 miles

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.