Engine Removal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Engine Removal in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay. I bought a 1998 Cadillac Catera with 89,000 miles for $600.00 about two weeks ago. It has been sitting ...
    srinne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Engine Removal

Okay. I bought a 1998 Cadillac Catera with 89,000 miles for $600.00 about two weeks ago. It has been sitting in someone's driveway for 1.5 years without running. It was thought to have a blown head gasket.

Last weekend I drove it (it still drives...but very rough) into our small garage/shop. I plan on taking out the engine and either rebuilding it or putting in a 3.2L engine (CTS w/top end from catera).

I will try to take pictures so everyone can see how I am pulling the engine. I am going step by step with a GM repair manual. I'll try to post the directions from the manaul...my favorite step is #47..."remove automatic transmission". It sounds pretty easy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Engine Removal

Are you removing it from the top or from the bottom?

I will be removing it from the top. Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

I did have trouble with diconnecting the "quick connects" on the fire wall....It was hard to reach. I ended up breaking off both "quick connect" plastic tabs. It would have been easier if I removed the cabin pollin filter first...I took a picture of it after the pollen filter was removed (and the access panel removed).

Hey Boris, (or anyone else that has removed an engine)
    I am following the directions in the GM repair manual (1998)...Do I really need to remove the transmission? I'm hopeful that I can just unbolt it from the engine and not acutally drop it out. (it looks heavy for one person and no trans jack)

Sorry, I have one more question...

I broke off the two vaccum lines that plug into these holes...Do I have buy the whole black thing or can I just buy the black box? (what does it do anyway?)
    Attached Images

I should have removed the transmission first....it would have been a lot easier.

I put the engine on a stand and took a closer look at it.

I decided to just rebuild this engine...it looks to be in pretty good shape. There was a lot of moisture towards the rear of the engine. There were leaks in the usuall spots (oil cooler, crossover, and rear coolant pipe)

Here is my helper!

I purchased a ton of gaskets from rockauto...later to find that I probably wont be using all of them. I started to dismantle the engine. I removed the whole top end and then I took the pass. side head off and the gasket looked clean. I also removed the oil cooler and prep for install.

I wasn't sure on what RTV to use in this location. I ended up buying the mega blue stuff becuase it can come incontact with coolant and handle very high temps. After I installed it, I read that I should have bought the mega black RTV. (or GM part # 12345997)

I think it will hold? Does anyone have input on this?

Next, I started to work on the other side of the engine. I removed the driver's side head and inspected the head gasket. I noted that the gasket was damaged towards the rear of the engine. I suspect that it was damaged from the outside-in. In other words, I think the leaks from the crossover and oilcooler caused this damage.

All cleaned up! I used the green scotch pads to clean and scrub the gasket surfaces. It worked very good but it did get green crumbs all over the engine.

Also, I removed the thermostat. What a stupid design...you have to buy the entire thing to replace it. (pipe, t-stat, o-ring, etc)

In the last picture, you can also see how I bent the oil cooler lines. I wouldn't recommend doing this. It was a little easier for me because the engine was out of the car, but it is still a pita. I tried to remove the entire oil cooler lines, but I didn't have any crowfoot sockets...it was too tight of a place to get a wrench into.

Last night, I turned the engine over and replaced the oil pan gaskets. They were not leaking but I figured now would be a better time to do it. I bought the entire lower end conversion gasket set from rockauto. The only thing I used in this kit was the oil pan gaskets...does anyone want to buy the rest of them?

I also cleaned the bottom of the engine a little.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.