Engine Removal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Engine Removal in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay. I bought a 1998 Cadillac Catera with 89,000 miles for $600.00 about two weeks ago. It has been sitting ...
    srinne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Engine Removal

Okay. I bought a 1998 Cadillac Catera with 89,000 miles for $600.00 about two weeks ago. It has been sitting in someone's driveway for 1.5 years without running. It was thought to have a blown head gasket.

Last weekend I drove it (it still drives...but very rough) into our small garage/shop. I plan on taking out the engine and either rebuilding it or putting in a 3.2L engine (CTS w/top end from catera).

I will try to take pictures so everyone can see how I am pulling the engine. I am going step by step with a GM repair manual. I'll try to post the directions from the manaul...my favorite step is #47..."remove automatic transmission". It sounds pretty easy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Engine Removal

Are you removing it from the top or from the bottom?

I will be removing it from the top. Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

I did have trouble with diconnecting the "quick connects" on the fire wall....It was hard to reach. I ended up breaking off both "quick connect" plastic tabs. It would have been easier if I removed the cabin pollin filter first...I took a picture of it after the pollen filter was removed (and the access panel removed).

Hey Boris, (or anyone else that has removed an engine)
    I am following the directions in the GM repair manual (1998)...Do I really need to remove the transmission? I'm hopeful that I can just unbolt it from the engine and not acutally drop it out. (it looks heavy for one person and no trans jack)

Sorry, I have one more question...

I broke off the two vaccum lines that plug into these holes...Do I have buy the whole black thing or can I just buy the black box? (what does it do anyway?)
    Attached Images

I should have removed the transmission first....it would have been a lot easier.

I put the engine on a stand and took a closer look at it.

I decided to just rebuild this engine...it looks to be in pretty good shape. There was a lot of moisture towards the rear of the engine. There were leaks in the usuall spots (oil cooler, crossover, and rear coolant pipe)

Here is my helper!

I purchased a ton of gaskets from rockauto...later to find that I probably wont be using all of them. I started to dismantle the engine. I removed the whole top end and then I took the pass. side head off and the gasket looked clean. I also removed the oil cooler and prep for install.

I wasn't sure on what RTV to use in this location. I ended up buying the mega blue stuff becuase it can come incontact with coolant and handle very high temps. After I installed it, I read that I should have bought the mega black RTV. (or GM part # 12345997)

I think it will hold? Does anyone have input on this?

Next, I started to work on the other side of the engine. I removed the driver's side head and inspected the head gasket. I noted that the gasket was damaged towards the rear of the engine. I suspect that it was damaged from the outside-in. In other words, I think the leaks from the crossover and oilcooler caused this damage.

All cleaned up! I used the green scotch pads to clean and scrub the gasket surfaces. It worked very good but it did get green crumbs all over the engine.

Also, I removed the thermostat. What a stupid design...you have to buy the entire thing to replace it. (pipe, t-stat, o-ring, etc)

In the last picture, you can also see how I bent the oil cooler lines. I wouldn't recommend doing this. It was a little easier for me because the engine was out of the car, but it is still a pita. I tried to remove the entire oil cooler lines, but I didn't have any crowfoot sockets...it was too tight of a place to get a wrench into.

Last night, I turned the engine over and replaced the oil pan gaskets. They were not leaking but I figured now would be a better time to do it. I bought the entire lower end conversion gasket set from rockauto. The only thing I used in this kit was the oil pan gaskets...does anyone want to buy the rest of them?

I also cleaned the bottom of the engine a little.

18. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.