Can't wait!!! - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Can't wait!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Any news on this swap? How's it going? Seemed to be fairly far along. Planning to start this swap in ...
    BattleCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Re: Can't wait!!!

Any news on this swap? How's it going? Seemed to be fairly far along. Planning to start this swap in a few days and this has been the most helpfull thread.

MyOpel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Y57XE

Hey guys! sorry i haven’t updated this tread in a while. I have put the project on the back burner over the past year because of job changes and i bought a house. now that i have all the parts and car in one place i can get back to it. Changes since my last posting:
    -Diff is mounted in rear sub frame and back in the car
    -slp gto rear sway bar is mounted to the sub frame, still need to make custom end links because the sway bar ends are slightly offset to the mounts on the control arm.
    -abs module is mounted in the new location
    -custom hydraulic clutch line with factory camaro disconnect has been fabricated and installed.

here is where the fun starts *sarcasm* i had the engine in the engine bay. Unfortunately using the prototype engine mounts there is not enough room in the transmission tunnel for the massive t56. Right now i have beat the trans tunnel to provide more clearance, cut the sheet metal by the cabin air filter to give the valve cover clearance and am working on custom engine mounts to lower the engine and transmission about 3/4"

as you can see the front of the engine is too high because the trans cant come up all the way.

removed the insulation, green=where i beat the trans tunnel, red where i ground down studs that held the heatshields

where i cut a hole, cardboard template for new sheet metal:

diff comparison:

Everything looks great. The ultimate sleeper if you ask me. Nice attention to detail. I hope mine turns out half as nice as this. I will be doing full F-body everything. You know since its there. I just need a day off to get the motor out of the Catera and begin fabbing.

I do have one question: Wouldn't it have been better to located the ABS module where the battery resides and relocate the battery to the trunk? That's probably what I will have to do so I can use the bigger factory F-body accessories.

It seems as though the kit is not really as simple as it seems. Keep up the great work and thanks for showing what it takes to make this happen.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by BattleCAT View Post
    It seems as though the kit is not really as simple as it seems.
    The parts aquired from Lingenfelter are in no way a kit. They are the Omega V8 factory parts made to fit a redesigned Omega B chassis, altered to accept the V8 engine and ancillary parts.

Got it. So what you are saying is after you get your engine and trans mounted. Lingenfelter supplies the parts to make it resemble a factory installation.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Good project but its shocking to see so much mods required to use the V8 Kit... now I wonder what engine and trans combo the V8 Omega was going to use... 5.7L with a 5spd auto?

I do have one question: Wouldn't it have been better to located the ABS module where the battery resides and relocate the battery to the trunk? That's probably what I will have to do so I can use the bigger factory F-body accessories.
    The Opel/Lingenfelter parts came with all the brake lines and brackets to move it to that location. it basically moved it up about 6" so it's not directly beside the exhaust manifold.
    Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    Good project but its shocking to see so much mods required to use the V8 Kit... now I wonder what engine and trans combo the V8 Omega was going to use... 5.7L with a 5spd auto?
    LS1 with 4L60E (4 speed auto) rated at 315HP was supposed to go in. the panel i cut is about 1square foot and just bonded in with sealer, in production they would have just put in a different one.
    red arrows are the areas i have clearance issues with in the transmission tunnel, as you see the 4l60e beside it is smaller in all these areas.

So I take it the V8 was going to be AUTO only, which is probably why it was going to be an easier fit...

Either way a little fabrication wont hurt no one... I think soon we will have two black V8 Cateras!

Re: the LSD. Omega LSDs pop up occasionally on Ebay/UK. They're usually off Police versions and are a direct fit. I don't know their HP limit so that might be a problem but a quick question to any UK Omega forum will yield that answer.

As far as the LSD goes. GTO diffs ($300 ebay) and axles ($40 ebay) seem to be relatively cheap and can be sourced stateside with a better 3.46 ratio and LSD already installed. I think Catera V installed one but is only saying it is difficult. Maybe he will chime in and shed some light on that one. I would like to know more on that.

IvoryWhiteCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera (SOLD)

Someone should try this on a 1997-1998 Catera.

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryWhiteCatera View Post
    Someone should try this on a 1997-1998 Catera.
    It's already been done. No details on it. Found it posted for sale last year I think.

Notice the clutch pedal.

LS1

As far as the LSD goes. GTO diffs ($300 ebay) and axles ($40 ebay) seem to be relatively cheap and can be sourced stateside with a better 3.46 ratio and LSD already installed. I think Catera V installed one but is only saying it is difficult. Maybe he will chime in and shed some light on that one. I would like to know more on that.
    omega lsd diffs are the same as stock just with the lsd in them, so strength is the same. probably good to about an absolute max of 300hp depending on how sticky you tires are. gto diff wil NOT work unless you custom cast a new diff cover and make some brackets to mount it into the subframe. 90% sure catera V has the same pre production diff that i have. the hard part about installing this diff is we need custom cv shafts.

I bet the OEM will last quite a bit, after all its always venting through one or the other tires.. .and with normal sized tires it will probably be fine. Now if you go to the drag strip and you try to launch it hard on a sticky surface you may snap an axle or the diff itself but usually things like this are over designed to take the abuse of any possible conditions. Normal engineering standards, or I should say minimum ones are SF3.0 which is 3 times more then the maximum operating loads... so if the OEM was designed to handle 200hp engine, roughly 150rwhp that would apply through it I think it will take 400-450 at which point it will start to give problems.

Seen quite a few cars run double or triple the amounts of hp without any issues on the drive train side especially the rear diff... Not sure the GTO rear diff is mountable to the catera chassis, but someone has to confirm on that. From what I remember on pictures comparisons they are different.

lol it all depends on how you drive. if you don't ever hit full throttle from a dig... hell you could have 700hp+ and be fine but just ask gto, c5/c6 corvette, and cts-v owners how their factory diffs (all larger then the cats) faired with 350-450hp.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.