Can't wait!!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Can't wait!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    MyOpel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Y57XE

Re: Can't wait!!!

MV6 Thanks
    Elvin answered you first question.
    For the front brakes I used the factory Corvette Z51 brackets with my custom designed T6061 aluminum brackets here are some pics mounted to a spear spindle.

Elvin, yes the rears are wider but Iím using the v8 calipers so they are mounted further out to accommodate the larger v8 rotor and also use a different break line. So even if I gave you the part number they wouldn't fit. You can find the factory vented calipers on rockauto.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Wow, thats some crazy mod, but I dont know if I can trust that piece of aluminium, somethign about high stress and heat situation... I would hate to be surprieed some day by no brakes right when you need them... not saying that it wont work its just something I wouldnt mess with.

So the Corvette calliper, you think it will fit the GTO bracket? the GTO guys say you have to drill out the mounting holes to make them fit... is that true? is it even worth it, just to say you got Corvette brakes on your car, I guess not but I am always experimenting with options...

My cat is getting engine work done for the next two weeks, so I might get a set of calipers, and new pads, and maybe some new rotors and I will post pics right away...

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    Wow, thats some crazy mod, but I dont know if I can trust that piece of aluminium, somethign about high stress and heat situation... I would hate to be surprieed some day by no brakes right when you need them... not saying that it wont work its just something I wouldnt mess with.
    Aftermarket big brake kits from Brembo, Wilwood el at. all use machined aluminum adapter brackets as well. So it will not be a problem.

The factory Dodge Viper uses a Brembo caliper with the radial bolt mounting design with aluminum brackets as well.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Just a bump. It's been a month now. Any news?

Elvin

Sorry not much news, did the tie rods and now i need to do an alignment.
    New camshaft is in the motor, rod bolts have been replaced with ARP bolts. I just need to do the valve springs and the motor can go back together.

I also want to say hello to the opel-hecktriebler-forum members visiting

Alignment Done
    Valve springs have been installed but the chromemolly push rods are not the right length. I need to either buy the adjustable tool or just get different size PR until I find the right length (leaning towards getting the tool lol)
    I also bought larger injectors so they should be here in the next week or so.
    Once you start modding you cant stop!!

Pic:
    First 2 springs are stock single springs referred to as bee hive springs because the diameter gets smaller towards the top.
    The rest are the double springs with titanium retainers. Why 2 you ask. Because the second is a fail safe incase the first spring brakes you wont drop the valve into the motor.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

The 99 Sport that I have been digging into for parts turns out that it had some sort of a V8 in it but the guy scrapped the project after he got it running and all because of some clearance issues that scared him and also it got hit in the front end and maybe that whole thing pushed him off but you can see the custom motor mounts he did and all the clearance issues he had around the firewall and ABS unit... but it looked like it will work...

Sounds like he used the older style V8, those motors only came with rear sump oil pans and in order to clear the cross member needs to be mounted really far back. The GTO oil pan is a front sump and it places the back of the motor where the back of the stock motor is. The sub frame i have also moves the engine over to the passengers side by about 1.5". The kit also came with brake lines and bracket to relocate the abs unit.
    basically this is how my conversion will look:

My guess is that the guy with the 99 boild the brake fluid in the abs unit and lost the ability to stop causing the front end collision. Could be thatís what scared him from fixing it up again.

aidsxcore is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

What could he not stop from colliding?
    o.O

details please =P

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by aidsxcore View Post
    What could he not stop from colliding?
    o.O

details please =P

If the ABS valve thingy is too close to a heat source (aka: big honkin' V8 engine) the brake fluid can boil. The Mastercylinder can't push the fluid due to the bubbles in the circuit, ergo no brakes.

Elvin

calicago is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: Can't wait!!!

WOW man you put that thing on steriods I wish I had the time and money . Besides I don't think my wife would let me do that to her baby

Black02SLPSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Im watching to see how this one goes. Im very interested in it. Oh and please do a good write up on getting the wiring to work. Are you planning on keeping the tracion control and abs?

Sorry guys not much to update, have been very busy with work.
    Got the injectors, white giants 42# vs. the stock 26# hehe

Pic of the rotating assembly with ARP rod bolts

Black 02 Camaro SS with SLP package (am I right?)
    The ABS is a stand alone system so it will be simple to keep it but the traction control system is more complicated and speaks a different computer language then the ECM so I can't be bothered to make this work also considering how much I hate having to turn this off every time I drive the car.
    There are some good write-ups on ls1tech about wiring, I will likely be getting a lot of info from that site. Once I'm done with the wiring I'll let you guys know what needs to be done.

Black02SLPSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Im not sure if this will help or not. But I was was on that module masters website looking to see how much it will cost to get the EBTCM rebuilt for my catera and i found out that the catera uses the same module that my camaro does. Its a bosch 5.3 module. And since they are the same they might speak the same language? I know that the camaro has 4 wheel speed sensors and that it pulls timing and fuel when the tcs kicks in, similar in the way the caddy does. But i agree with you about turning it off. Oh and by the way thats a good lookin motor. How much did those injectors run you? Oh and yes i have the SLP 345 horse center exhaust package on my camaro

bought the injectors used for about $200
    You're forgetting about the TCM
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=47

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.