Speedometer quits working
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Speedometer quits working in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; We have a 1999 Catera and are having some electrical problems. When we start the car up in the morning ...
    jroberg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Speedometer quits working

We have a 1999 Catera and are having some electrical problems.
    When we start the car up in the morning the check engine light is on. Every thing seems to be working correctly. Runs good. After a little while of driving the speedometer quits working and the ABS and Traction Control light comes on. When this happens it is also hard to steer. The codes that come up are
    U2108 - CAN Bus Error ABS
    U2108 - Lost Comm with ABS Control System
    DTC P1700 Transmission Control Module

If we let it set for awhile when we start it up the ABS and TC lights are off and the speedometer works but after driving for awhile the speedometer quits working and the TC and ABS lights come on.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this problem are appreciated
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Re: Speedometer quits working

Because the speedometer isnt working and you get the TCS/ABS light , it could be related to the Vehicle Speed Sensor which also works with the ABS system and of course, the speedometer. A link may be broken there, sensors bad, or the TCS/ABS module is having problems calculating both.

What do you mean by hard at steering when this happens? Does it feel like the powersteering has been cut off or...?

jroberg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

When the speedometer quits it gets hard to steer. I was thinking that maybe the powersteering was speed sensitive. The power steering seems to be working but it is very hard to turn.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jroberg
    When the speedometer quits it gets hard to steer. I was thinking that maybe the powersteering was speed sensitive. The power steering seems to be working but it is very hard to turn.
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Doh, i forgot... it is speed sensitive.

pwnshp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi,
    I am new to this group but I am having the EXACT same problems as the other person. Sometimes the car works fine but 90% of the time the speedometer cuts in and out and the ABS, TC and check engine lights come on. My computer would not give a reading at all. But the speed sensor has been checked and appears to be working properly. Any other help that can be given.

Sean

There is a module that controls the ABS and Traction Control services- this goes to the transmission and the engine management. When its doing that all at once-in your case... id say it lost communications between one of those sources(it runs on a network). What do you mean by your computer? A code scanner i presume? Check the history's. Otherwise, its an electrical issue between one of these sources.

While your at it, are there other lights that come on? And when does it happen? What are the battery volts reading from the dash readout?

pwnshp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply. No other lights come on so far and the other problems that I mentioned are very intermittent. They just come and go on their own. No telling when! Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Sean

Stevef04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 98 catera and I am having the same problems. The car has gone to 2 seperate mechanics and it was just at the 2nd Cadillac dealer to try to repair this problem. I have over $700 invested into this problem and the best anyone can tell me is they don't know what the problem is. Is there anyone that knows what this ABS, Traction Control and Speedometer problem is?

justindu is offline Cadillac Owners Member

interesting.. my speedo never stopped working, but the odometer stopped counting miles until i reset the trip meter.. lol

Steve, what all have they done to your car?

There is not an error code comming back it just looses communication. This past time they said they performed 3 different diagnostic checks and nothing came back. When the lights come on they lose communication. Now they say they can check further but they are not sure what it will cost but the service writer said it should be about $1500. But that is an estimate with no knowledge behind it. This seems to be a common problem, someone should know something.

It may be the vehicle speed sensor(s) in the transmission. Since the ABS and Traction control system utilize this also as a point of referance, if that malfunctions so does the ABS and TC. The vss (and the components related-speedo gear, and speedo wheel) is not an uncommon problem- but rare in some senses. Usually just the sensor assembly itself, not the speedo gear and/or wheel.. otherwise you'd need to get the transmission overhauled.

It would be a direct source of the problem if the ABS and TC arent malfunctioning. From the tests that the dealer did, im guessing those systems arent bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/MrHaun/VSS.jpg

#17 is the VSS.

compubj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwnshp
    Hi,
    I am new to this group but I am having the EXACT same problems as the other person. Sometimes the car works fine but 90% of the time the speedometer cuts in and out and the ABS, TC and check engine lights come on. My computer would not give a reading at all. But the speed sensor has been checked and appears to be working properly. Any other help that can be given.

Sean

Hi
    I'm also new, in fact I've registered Becasue I have the same problem. The local dealer couldn't fix the problem: ABS/TC lights, then Speedometer, then the power steering goes off.

Can anyone please tell me if changing the speed sensor solved the problem or not? and how much did it cost?

Thanks a lot.

I am going to replace the speed sensor this weekend. I am just waiting for the part to come in from Cadillac. I will keep everyone updated if this solved the problem or not.

I am unhappy to say that replacing the vehicle speed sensor did not work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.