Speedometer quits working - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Speedometer quits working in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; What really makes me unhappy about this is I have a car with 60,000 miles, it is only worth $2,750 ...
    Stevef04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Speedometer quits working

What really makes me unhappy about this is I have a car with 60,000 miles, it is only worth $2,750 on trade in and Cadillac dealers cannot help me. It seems that Cadillac has just walked away from a $33,000 piece of garbage car and left Catera owners to suffer from a poor product. Before this happened I was going to look at the new STS but from the poor dealings with the cadillac dealers and paying for time and tests to be performed with nothing to show for it, I will never buy another Cadillac. BMW or Mercedes will get my business now.

fook76 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile Re: Speedometer quits working

Hi all,

I'm new to this group but came to it with the same problem. I took my caddy in to the dealer recently and the verdict was that the EBTCM (Electronic Brake/Traction Control Module) has gone kaput!
    I was quoted $1,500 ($1,000 for the part and $500 for labor).
    I've yet to get it done, but will let everyone know if it works. Kudos to you if you can install it yourself, because that will save you the $500 in labor. I've been told that the part is not too hard to find on the car, just a matter of having the time and room to operate.

If you do a search for "Cadillac Catera EBTCM", you should find a link to an editorial. I would paste the link myself, but I can't recall the policy of posting links.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Thom

liv2wrshp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Did you ever come up with anything on this? Mine is doing the same thing.

pokerboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i have the same prob..

WPPZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have the same problem. It all started the day I got my amp installed. Could that have anything to do with it since the power wire is connected close to the EBTCM and runs under the dash board where most of the relays are? My fog lights stopped working most of the time too. Sometimes they are on but lately not at all. And again, the fog light relay is located under the dash board. I hope it's not the EBTCM because the dealer wants over $2100 for it. (labour not included)

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The engine computer, Transmission control module and steering systems do not use the VSS in the output shaft of the transmission for vehicle speed input.

That sensor is used only as an output speed sensor for the TCM to determine if a trans component is damaged. The VSS is read from the right rear wheel speed sensor through the EBCM and then transmitted over the data bus to the respective modules.
    The failure here is the EBCM itself. It is not powering up or it is shutting off. Therefore the sensor cannot be read and data cannot be transmitted to other modules regarding vehicle speed.

It is common, expensive, and hard to do. There have been numerous topics on this subject posted including a source for rebuilt modules.
    Some searching will reveal much more information than I have time to post.

Most dealers will charge over $1,300 for this repair.

Searayjba is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Your problem is probably the Electronic Traction & Brake Control Module, ETBCB. This is a common Catera fault. The speed signal comes through the module on its way to the speedometer and traction control system. The module goes bad and you get the two lights and the speedo doesn't work.
    The module is on the right side of the engine compartment (from the front) right below the main fuse box. See the attached doc for instructions.
    The new part is $790 on eBay or there are 2 vendors who rebuild the unit for about $200.
    It's a bitch to get out and if you look though this forum you'll see some tips.
    Good luck.
    Attached Files

bmeals1880 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok so my speedometer and tach only work when they want... when i start they it either work or they don't... not in the middle of driving does it start to function nor disfunction... any ideas? i've been told it's the "brains" of the car which i'm guessing would be the body control module??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.