02 Sensor question and problems p0133 p0154
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 02 Sensor question and problems p0133 p0154 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Good evening everyone. I am having an issue with my 98 Catera. my check engine light is on and it ...
    linopizzolanti is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

02 Sensor question and problems p0133 p0154

Good evening everyone. I am having an issue with my 98 Catera. my check engine light is on and it gives me two codes p0133 and p0154, basically the two sensors before the cat. I replaced the two with a universal unit i purchased from Partsamerica for 40$ apiece. I installed them both and ran a test and found that instead of clearing the problem I now have all four sensors registering and the codes have changed to low voltage for all four of them. 0131,0137,0151,0157 My question is this. Could i have wired them incorrectly? Did I buy cheap parts? What if I have a vacuumleak and it is not the actual sensors? I am a total loss. I have a manual and I am pretty handy. Any help will be greatly apprieciated,. Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ed7092 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 02 Sensor question and problems p0133 p0154

i had the same problem, i found a post here about somebody saying to take the O2 sensors apart and clean them with a spray cleaner i can't remember what i used, but it worked, now i don't have a check engine light and it's been good for 3 months.

Thank you for your input. Will try it.

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

Quote Originally Posted by linopizzolanti View Post
    Good evening everyone. I am having an issue with my 98 Catera. my check engine light is on and it gives me two codes p0133 and p0154, basically the two sensors before the cat. I replaced the two with a universal unit i purchased from Partsamerica for 40$ apiece. I installed them both and ran a test and found that instead of clearing the problem I now have all four sensors registering and the codes have changed to low voltage for all four of them. 0131,0137,0151,0157 My question is this. Could i have wired them incorrectly? Did I buy cheap parts? What if I have a vacuumleak and it is not the actual sensors? I am a total loss. I have a manual and I am pretty handy. Any help will be greatly apprieciated,. Thank you
    Just a thought...since all these codes are circuit low voltage and croped up after installing the new sensor I suspect you have a wiring ground issue. The brown and green wire is a common ground for all the sensors, it runs up to the ecm and is term 46. Check the last work you completed.

I think i am going to re-do the wiring just to make sure. thanks

What do u mean by term 46?

What do u mean by term 46?
    Sorry, terminal 46 is the specific wire that is in the ecm wire harness, right next to your battery is the computor/ECM with a large wire harness plugging into it, in that harness is the ground wire for the ground for the O2 sensors, the ecm has very small numbers on the plug. But, before you go up there, first check your work on the new O2 sensors. The fact that all 4 sensors show low voltage indicates you have a problem common to them all, also check the fuse #39, a 30 amp fuse right in the area of the ecm, this fuse powers the heated O2 sensors.. possibly it blew but I doubt it???the fused wire and the ground wire #46 is shared by all the O2 sensors.

I will check them and let you know what happens. Thanks

PEETYZ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I cleaned my old o2 sensors with electric parts cleaner or you can use mass airflow/carb cleaner/throttle body cleaner which you can get at auto zone or walmart or other stores take the sensors out clean and dry them and then replace and have code cleared or simply take neg bat cable off wait a few mins then re connect but doing that will reset windows and sunroof id suggest auto zone they can check/erase codes for free and wont mess with window and sunroof settings I know how expensive a direct fit sensor is i have found an ngk direct fit cheaper at www.summitracing.com

Thanks. Will look into it.

Hey Frank. No luck on re-doing the wiring for those o2 sensors. I re-wired both sensors and took it for a spin and the light came back on. I haven't yet gone to Autozone to see what codes come up now but I am sure I will probable have to go with the direct fit O2 sensors. Could the fan not working have caused my two previous codes? The p0133 and p0154? In a previous post I had explained that my fan was not working and someone suggested i check a 30 amp fuse in the ECM. The one under the harness. It was blown and I repalced it and now the fan works fine. Any further suggestions? Thanks for your input.

Well I went and got the codes and again they are the same one p0131,p0137, p0151,p0157. All low voltage. I re-did the wiring. I am at a loss. please help.

Could the wires touching or being near the exhaust manifold draw current from them giving me a low voltage?

Could the wires touching or being near the exhaust manifold draw current from them giving me a low voltage?
    you dont want the wire touching the exhust system. Is the car new to you and you dont have any history on it? From your first post it sounded like you had one sensor out, replaced it then all 4 are now giving codes.??? In the coolent fan fuse area you were in earlier, fuse 39 is for the heated o2 sensors, may want to check it, just to reiterate all of your splices on the replacement are good? When did all 4 crop up??
    Just for info are there any problems with the engine, vacum leaks etc.??also are all of the secondery air pump parts in place, all hoses , vacum etc. These hoses are in front of the serp belt....runs left to right...1in in dia. The pump is under the LF headlight area, may have to pull the wheel well out, but you should hear it run shortly after start up. The problem is common to all the sensors so it has to be a wire and circuit problem. Go to your dealer and ask to copy a page out of their book for this code, any one of the codes will do as it will show the diagram...all the codes address the same thing except they isolate the location, your problem is all are effected.

The car is used, I bought about three years ago. What happened was I hade the two previous codes p0133 and p0154, basically saying that the front two sensors were not good. I tried to clean them like someone posted earlier but to no avail. I purchsed two aftermarket ones, universal type for $35 a piece. Cut the old ones out and spliced the new ones in. Cleared the codes and drove around for an hour until chk engine light came back on. took it to autozone and they scanned it. this time $ new codes popped up, the low voltage on all four sensors. I then de-did the wiring again, making sure that I had a tight connection but it didn't change the codes, same codes, low voltage. I did check the fuses in the ECM and they are all good except the one related to the fan. Changed that and now the fan is working like it should but i stll have these codes, low voltage coming up on all four sensors.

I do hear the pump at start up so i know that is working.

I am wondering if installing sensors that are not OEM or maybe a wrong sensor will set them all off. I ordered a sensor for the cadillac but i am wondering if maybe the sensor is the wrong kind. Ironically the first two codes, well they are gone. What do u think about the sensors being the wrong ones? Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.