Original Paint
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Original Paint in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Is any member on here familiar with where i can get the original paint on my car. My car got ...
    usc2005 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac catera

Original Paint

Is any member on here familiar with where i can get the original paint on my car. My car got seriously scratched and i need to find the paint. The cadillac dealerships here in town say that they discontinued selling my paint. Does anyone know any shop or gm site that still sells paint. I have a 97 cat,burgundy red. Here is the link to cardomain to see the color:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645425

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Original Paint

Quote Originally Posted by usc2005 View Post
    Is any member on here familiar with where i can get the original paint on my car. My car got seriously scratched and i need to find the paint. The cadillac dealerships here in town say that they discontinued selling my paint. Does anyone know any shop or gm site that still sells paint. I have a 97 cat,burgundy red. Here is the link to cardomain to see the color:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645425
    I have bought from these guys for motorcycle paint and following their instructions You can't tell the respray from the factory paint. The paint code is on the car somewhere. The site has instructions on where to look. Don't forget the clear coat.

http://www.expresspaint.com/

Elvin

bburt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Any good automotive paint store can match the paint. Take the paint color code in. It'll be on the manufacturer's metal tag. Also, you can take the car in, and often they have a portable paint color scanner that will match exactly, thus allowing for fading from new. Done right, it's impossible to tell which is original and which is repair.

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    I have bought from these guys for motorcycle paint and following their instructions You can't tell the respray from the factory paint. The paint code is on the car somewhere. The site has instructions on where to look. Don't forget the clear coat.

Elvin

do you know how is this for rock chips? cause I have a crap load of chips on my hood

Quote Originally Posted by cateraowner View Post
    do you know how is this for rock chips? cause I have a crap load of chips on my hood
    Not really. I used it on my bike a few years ago after a lowside. I went into a turn a little too hot and washed the front tire out. I bondo'd the scratches and used the rattle cans to cover the repairs. I'm no painter but I have to say that it turned out real good.

For stone chips I once used a paint pen but it was from Toyota not this place. The color matched but the paint didn't quite dry smooth enough to hide the chip. This was 20 years ago. Maybe the paints have improved.

Elvin

Elvin

hey Elvin

just wondering, since you used this before, it'd be great to get some advice before I order.

I'm using this for my bimmer for rust areas. obviously I'll be grinding it all down to get rid of the rust. but should I be buyingt he aersole can or the paint?

I'd prefer to use the spay can since it'll be easiest, but I just can't imagine the results turning out that well

Thanks

Like I said, I'm not a painter but it didn't turn out too bad. I used the spray cans. The match was closer than I expected and I believe if I had wet sanded like I was supposed to the patch would have been invisible.

Elvin

Like I said, I'm not a painter but it didn't turn out too bad. I used the spray cans. The match was closer than I expected and I believe if I had wet sanded like I was supposed to the patch would have been invisible.

Elvin

cool man,

thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try it out.. I think i'm gonna buy primer, clear coat, and paint (all in aerosole)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.