Water Pump Damaged?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Water Pump Damaged? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; How do you know if you water pump is about to go? What have people experienced, coolant leak in the ...
    monkeyboyx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Water Pump Damaged?

How do you know if you water pump is about to go? What have people experienced, coolant leak in the front on the engine, strange noise from the pully?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vogel81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Water Pump Damaged?

the water pump has a small bypass hole (on the end of the pulley....I think) that will leak coolant as it goes bad. The pully will also wobble as the bearings go bad. The pully will also make noises due to metal on metal contact. If yours is doing the above mentioned, there is a very good chance that it could in fact be deffective.

I was trying to troubleshoot a problem I have with coolant leaking. Sometimes when you turn the car on it hesitates, almost stalls when your sitting at a red light but never turns off. I though that maybe the water pump might slow down or jam the rest of the accessory belt and the car shakes. But its not leaking any coolant from the front or makes any strange noises. If I take the belt off I should be able to freely turn the waterpump right??? Its seems to leak coolant from the back of the engine sometimes...weird...

I checked the pully this weekend. Took the belt off and tryed spining it a bunch of times. Spins without any effort very smooth, does not wobble or make any noise. I guess its not the pump.

Thanks for the info.

vogel81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yeh if it spins without much resistence, you can be pretty sure that it is still good. Good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.