Catera Radio Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera Radio Problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My radio, trunk and fuel door all work sometimes. I found the Multifunction Module under the IP. It is factory ...
    pradoblings is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Catera Radio Problems

My radio, trunk and fuel door all work sometimes. I found the Multifunction Module under the IP. It is factory part number 90494163 and is around $85 plus tax at the dealer. I will buy it and replace it with the new and let all you know if this works. I noticed some other people with the same problem. I have heard to jumper pins 12 and 14 together but i'd rather just fix it and be done with it. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all the help from everyones input on this matter!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

yellowxhoodie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Catera Radio Problems

im with you on that one. i'd much rather just spend the money and fix it the right way the first time. Def. let me know how it turns out and how easy it was to do.

Will do. Hopefully it takes care of my problems.

SHIFT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same problem, please help me out also!

Ok, so I got the Multifunction Module in 24hrs, I couldnt believe how fast it got here(to the dealer) and I changed it out. So far I have driven it for about an hour total and everything is working great. Volume up, trunk opens, fuel door opens. Once you find the Multifunction Module everything else is easy. Just un-plug old one and plug-in new one. It is gray plastic box with pins on one side to connect wire harness and it is about 2" by 4", located in the upper left hand side under the steering column. Like I said once you find it the rest is easy. The part number is the same as I stated in the original thread. Good luck. Let me know if it fixes everything for you guys.

HappyWolverine is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm thinking maybe this is whats f$%king my radio up, causing it to cut on and off repeatedly. But my fuel door and trunk work fine ALWAYS. Could it still be the mf switch?

Spanky3747 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

sounds like the same problems I am having as well with my radio, and trunk button - is anyone else having problems with the battery dieing? Are the problems related? My battery is brand new.

Plus, any more specific directions for finding the Module (do you have to remove the fuse panel or anything?)

Hucgreen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i have the same problem, i told the dealer that was rechecking my work what the problme is, Dignostic is $85, Modual is $86, and they want to charge me $200. to have it installed. I couldnt believe it when he said it on the phone. I'm so pissed. I just want to cry. I told them what was wrong with it and then told them how to fix it beacuse i didnt have time. I cant believe it.

xanax06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

I've noticed that I can't listen to my stereo more than a few minutes with the engine turned off. Seems like there is no key position for the radio. Is this related to the malfunction module?

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by xanax06 View Post
    I've noticed that I can't listen to my stereo more than a few minutes with the engine turned off. Seems like there is no key position for the radio. Is this related to the malfunction module?
    That's normal.

Elvin

lakesidepark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

Just an FYI. I actually FIXED my multifunction module. I found that the failure with my module was simply poor solder joints.

10 minutes and a hot soldering iron and I had it fully operational. Take the PCB out of the gray plastic case and inspect the back of the board. Hit all the larger solder joints on the back side of the three relays, and anywhere else that looks discolored.

May not fix them all but it is cheaper than $85 for the ones that it does fix...and it is a correct fix (not just a patch).

Yose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera

Hey guys... First time here and I have a lot to tell you concerning this issue.

The multifunction relay module supposedly (from the dealer) controls the Body Control Module (BCM) power functions. It is more commonly known as K134 multifunction relay module (GM# 90 494 163).

Here's the scoop:

A few months ago my 2001 Catera started exhibiting some really strange electrical problems. First the sunroof failed to open and close. Then it started opening and closing, on its own, with the switch always in the closed position.

Next the car's radio started intermittently flaking out. When the radio would lose power the trunk pop, fuel door, and OnStar would also be affected. From research I found the relay can also cause problems with vanity mirror, power locks, and fog lights.

Here's where it gets better:

Two days ago, while my wife was driving the car, the engine just stopped running while she was driving. She called me and I arranged to have the car picked up. When I got to the car it started right up and I drove it home (appox. 25 miles) without a hitch.

When the engine failed I spoke with a local mechanic who posted the issue on iATN.net. The popular vote for the cause of all these symptoms was the K134 module.

After my wife's initial encounter with the failing engine, the car ran great... Until today.

I took the car out this morning for about 20 minutes and the engine just shut down. I had the car towed to my house and when it arrived it started right up again... Huff

I ran the car to my local mechanic for diagnosis... NO BCM or ECM codes set. I called the local Cadillac dealer and inquired about the K134 module and was told they had never heard of anything called a multifunction relay module. The dealer said the likely cause was the $700 BCM and I should bring it right in for service. Well I pulled the K134 module and ran it to the dealer and plopped it down on the desk in front of the parts jockey. He looked up the module's number and said, "Yeah that's the multifunction relay module for the BCM." Oddly enough the same person two hours earlier had never heard of this part. I'm only writing this part as a warning for others... Had I listened to the dealer I would have spent nearly $1000 for the BCM and not had the car fixed.

The module is located (on the 2001) in the upper left hand side of the dashboard, behind the air vent. If you pull the main and lower kick panels the module is fairly easy to remove.

I had read that retacking the solder joints is a possible fix but I'm not willing to take that risk especially when the engine fails. I did inspect the joints and none of them were cold.

When I removed the module the car had been sitting off for nearly 1 hour. Two of the relays in the module were so hot they burned my fingers, telling me these relays were still energized well after the car was turned off.

The mechanic at the Cadillac dealer said the K134 controls multiple power functions within the BCM. As these little problems such as the radio and trunk doors progress, the k134 gets so bad that it confuses the BCM. When the BCM gets too confused it shuts the car down.

I ordered the module this morning and paid $85.77, $90.92 with PA sales tax. The part should be in tomorrow. After it's installed and tested I'll let you know the outcome. All in all this little bugger sure can cause a lot of seemingly unrelated glitches in the Catera.
    Kwolfel and Kwolfel like this.

mikescat1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Does water leakage, say during a thunderstorm/rain, cause a CD-Error on the Bose system? The error has always occurred on my Catera '99 just after a it rains. The problem usually starts with a hushy or scratch sound during CD play then the CD error which then lasts for weeks before it starts accepting the same CDs again.

I've cleaned out the front passenger side drainage in the cabin filter area. But I notice quite some water leaks in the trunk area after I lift the trunk lid. Water accumulates (after rains) inside the brake lights compartment - the one affixed to the trunk lid.

CRISSCO is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My Radio Does Not Work While Driving But Does Work When Turned Off? Do You Think This Switch Will Fix It?

timmyland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera, 2000

Wow, am I glad I found this forum! My 2000 Catera that I bought last November all of a sudden this week had some things just stop working. The radio won't work while the car is running but will work after it's turned off. The sunroof won't work at all. The power windows work but the feature that has them go all the way down or up after a brief press of the button works only on the driver's window and then on the other windows when the car is turned off. The automatic locking and unlocking feature that engages when the car is put into or out of gear has stopped working. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the guilty part is the same K134 Multifunction Relay Module, elsewhere refered to as the Multifunction Switch or the Multifunction Relay. It's Labor Day weekend and so no parts departments will be open for a few days. I think I'll try to take the thing apart and solder it to see if I can resolve the problem. Either way, I agree that it'll be better to replace the part for a more sure fix.

Here's a question. Since the array of problems in my situation are a little different from the problems listed by others, is it possible there is another relay switch that has gone bad? Or perhaps my car has become possessed by SATAN? Any recommendations for exorcising demons from the electrical system of a Catera?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.