Catera Radio Problems - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera Radio Problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am having similar problems on my 97. Started out having the stereo shutting down if I turned up the ...
    CANCAT1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Catera Radio Problems

I am having similar problems on my 97. Started out having the stereo shutting down if I turned up the volume. Turn ignition off, stereo comes back on, channels scrambled. Or even better, still driving, stereo turns off, hit the door lock on your security key pad, stereo back on!

Now, it gets worse. Car actually shuts down when it gets to about operating temperature. Let cool, fires back up, nice and smooth. Sound familiar??? Was always wondering why it took longer to have the stereo cut out when I had the air conditioning on...it probably cooled the K134 relays enough to have the stereo run just that little bit longer. But now that it is affecting the actual running of the car, it really fires me up.

I will try this first, if not, there is another explaination for the shutting down of the car under CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor), that will be my second choice (because it does not explain the stereo).

I will let you all know the outcome...

Thanks again.

timmyland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera, 2000

Here's an update...
    I clearly have a totally different problem. I pressed the knob on the sunroof for a few seconds and now it just works. It appears there was a power surge that affected it but not as badly as the stereo and automatic locks and dome lights. These three things still don't work (except after the car is turned off and before the door is opened). I replaced the Multifunction Relay Module but this resolved NOTHING. Surely somebody knows which module controls the stereo, automatic locks, and the dome lights.

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

Have you checked your fuses?

timmyland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera, 2000

Yeah, I checked the fuses. Two of them were blown... not ones that I would think might be related to the problems I'm having. Nonetheless, I replaced them and nothing has changed. The radio only works when the car has been turned off and before the door opens as do the dome lights. The OnStar, although functionally worthless since January 1st anyway, isn't lighting up either... at all... whether the car runs or not. The automatic locks are still not working.

Here's a question that's dawned on me: Is it possible that these things might be related to the Theftlock mechanism in the stereo? Certainly it is possible that a cutting of power to the stereo due to a blown fuse might trip this annoying safety device. Any ideas?

titan175 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hey i was wondering where this relay is located i took off the fuse panel and still cant find it is there other things i have to remove as well any directions would help thanks

titan175 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

so i took out the relay and it looks perfectly fine althought like said in a previous post it was pretty hot when i opened it up. could it be that the aux water heater pump is broken and is using so much energy that it is taking away from the power that is goig to the radio ? the # 10 amp fuse is also blowing when i replace it but the radio does work until it blows again. ????????

tazmoua is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Catera

I have a q problem with my 98 catera, When i press the trunk button in the car I hear some clicking sound from my glove box, but my trunk won't open. My car radio, door locks fuel door works just fine, Any one please help me on this issue

angelgalindez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Catera

@tazmoua I am having the same problem now with the #10 fuse. Have you fixed it? If so, what did you do? Thanks

R-Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green

I think what you guys are hearing is the Body Control Module. If you interior was flooded during rain (another topic here...), this may shorten the BCM, which controls your radio as well. I have had the problem. Unclog the cabin air filter compartment, dry the car out, replace fuses and hopefully it will work. As far as K134 goes, give me a flathead screwdriver and 2 minutes later the module is replaced. I don't even have to stick my head under the steering wheel...

SanMantT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera sport 01

hey guys,

I'm so glad that I'm here with you. at less I know that here i can learn more about my catera problems very much from great people like you.

I have the same problem with my radio.

the problem is:
    the radio is turn off when i'm driving some time by itself, and some time if turn any thing on, or used any thing. for example, radio turn off when i turn on my fog light, or open window, or used wheels controls volume, or even closed the door of driver or passenger.

So, i heared here that it might be from K134 multifunction relay module GM# 90 494 163.

but I could not find such thing with same number in my car.

my catera is 2001 sport.
    and the only multifunction relay module i found with has numbers on it are these list:

1- 09 173 591
    2- 0 332 209 136 Bosch
    3- 03 447 012
    4- 90 414 477

one of them is gray, and one is orange, and one is blue i think

but I'm nut sure which one is the same (K134 multifunction relay module GM# 90 494 163) to replace it.

plz help.

thanks a lot

hey guys,

I'm so glad that I'm here with you. at less I know that here i can learn more about my catera problems very much from great people like you.

I have the same problem with my radio.

the problem is:
    the radio is turn off when i'm driving some time by itself, and some time if turn any thing on, or used any thing. for example, radio turn off when i turn on my fog light, or open window, or used wheels controls volume, or even closed the door of driver or passenger.

So, i heared here that it might be from K134 multifunction relay module GM# 90 494 163.

but I could not find such thing with same number in my car.

my catera is 2001 sport.
    and the only multifunction relay module i found with has numbers on it are these list:

1- 09 173 591
    2- 0 332 209 136 Bosch
    3- 03 447 012
    4- 90 414 477

one of them is gray, and one is orange, and one is blue i think

but I'm nut sure which one is the same (K134 multifunction relay module GM# 90 494 163) to replace it.

plz help.

thanks a lot

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

I just replaced the k134 relay on my 00 catera sport. It is the GREY one. mine was located where most cars have the emergency brake pedal under the dash.. it was a 2 second job. If you email me I can send you the proper #s.. the part is $88 with tax, but if you aske, you can get 10% off... any gm dealer can supply it.

hey I just did one better. here is the part # 90494163

If you call the dealer and give that part number you will get what you need... I was quoted 89.00 for the part. I think i paid 81.00 and my radio has not cut out since!! its been about 1000 miles since I installed!

Quote Originally Posted by hgqguy View Post
    I just replaced the k134 relay on my 00 catera sport. It is the GREY one. mine was located where most cars have the emergency brake pedal under the dash.. it was a 2 second job. If you email me I can send you the proper #s.. the part is $88 with tax, but if you aske, you can get 10% off... any gm dealer can supply it.

hey I just did one better. here is the part # 90494163

If you call the dealer and give that part number you will get what you need... I was quoted 89.00 for the part. I think i paid 81.00 and my radio has not cut out since!! its been about 1000 miles since I installed!
    Thank you so much hggguy for the helpful information. I been waiting to hear that since long time.

I tried to send you my email, but doesn't allow me to do that since i'm new member. So, send me your through private message, and I'll contact u in email.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

no problem sanmantt i hope it helped.. I have had a lotta odd problems with my car, but its just so nice to look at that I want to keep it.

I have problems with this forum and sending emails also... anyone can send me a msg at HGQGUY@ yahoo.com and I can email direct.

I do try to post when I repair a problem.

I think Ill take mine into the dealership once I get my firebird out and put the warranty to use that I bought Ive got collant leaking from the front of the motor, no A/c. leaking P.Steering, bad wheel bearing, heated seats with (burnt out elements I think)... and it still intermittenly idols to low at a stop and vibrates the car.. and the check engine light... I have come to terms with it being a travel compainion.. it wants to be my illuminated friend! lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.