Another Steinmetz Thread
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Another Steinmetz Thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    MyOpel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Y57XE

Another Steinmetz Thread

Just curious, why was I the only one to bid on the rims and tires? Man they look sweet and even though my shocks need replacing and the tire shine hasn’t worn off yet there is a noticeable improvement in handling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

10KTGOLD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Another Steinmetz Thread

DAMN those look nice ,wanna trade

yellowxhoodie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

im not tryin to insult you or cramp your style, but you shouldve either got those rims a couple inches bigger or find a way to lower the car a couple inches. Then it would look real nice! Im not talking about puttin Dubz on the car, just fillin out the wheel wells a little more. ya know?
    anyways, still real nice and clean CAT!

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by MyOpel View Post
    Just curious, why was I the only one to bid on the rims and tires? Man they look sweet and even though my shocks need replacing and the tire shine hasn’t worn off yet there is a noticeable improvement in handling.
    Congratulations. They look fantastic on your Cat. I would have bid but I already have 2 sets of wheels I alternate between. If they had been available 6 months ago they'd be rolling under my Sport today. If the Steinmetz bodywork would fit it would be on my 2001 right now. All the good stuff for these cars is in Europe. You were lucky to get those wheels. Thank Cadillac for not giving a shitt about the Catera or the Steinmetz Catera Concept.

Elvin

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

I saw them when I picked up the exhaust, and they did look nice but for a 1000$ i can think of many better ways to spend that kind of money... the wheels on my car were 160 with almost new run flat tires... now that is a deal I wont pass but a 1000 hmmm i will sleep on it...
    I kind of wanted them but knowing that it will need lowering to get it to look like the show car, I decided to pass it up... I wonder who got the suspension.... that would have been a nice addition....

The exhaust BTW sounds freaking bad ass I will post some video and pictures of it as soon as it stop sraining around here..

Nice looking caddy BTW... We need to get together for a photoshoot... you are not all that far away...

Ohhh btw the car looks like that because I bet he hast driven it yet and the Sway bars are all still under tension so I bet if you rock it or move it just a tad bit it will drop back to normal height... Mine does the same thing when I am changing the tires... there shouldnt be no more then an 1-2inches of gap between the tire and the fender.

Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    I wonder who got the suspension.... that would have been a nice addition....
    ya i'm going to wait till after the winter to put the suspension on.

You bastard... I wanted that so bad but I was in CALI so I didnt have internet to up my bid...
    I talked to the guy at the sale place and I was trying to get him to sell them to me for a few extra bux, but anyways I already have a car with sick handling the caddy is the semi sport lux one... I would hate to ruin such a great ride just for the looks...

Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    You bastard... I wanted that so bad but I was in CALI so I didnt have internet to up my bid...
    I talked to the guy at the sale place and I was trying to get him to sell them to me for a few extra bux, but anyways I already have a car with sick handling the caddy is the semi sport lux one... I would hate to ruin such a great ride just for the looks...
    I can't tell from your pictures (ones you've posted elsewhere) or your description (semi sport lux?) whether you have a Catera Sport or not. I do and my Sport's ride is noticeably firmer than Base (I know cause I test drove base models before finding my Sport) but not anything approaching harsh. Stiffer lowering springs shouldn't ruin your ride any if the experience with my car is an example. I drive exclusively in the Northeast where the winters take their toll in the roads and, unless I stupidly run into a pothole, the ride is very nice. Whatever it does sacrifice in softness it gains it steering response and cornering. My favorite roads are the twistiest ones I used to save for my motorcycle.

If you want lowering springs your Cat, Intrax makes them. A set of 4 can be had for $200 at Summit Racing. I'll buy mine once I verify if they're shorter than the factory Sport springs. No sense buying them if they won't lower my car. I'll get the Koni struts & shocks with my tax refund in the spring. Information on the Catera Sport must be a state secret. My GM service manuals don't include any Sport info. I've never been able to find out if the Cat Sport rides lower than the Base model. I know it's stiffer sprung & damped, and has 17 inch wheels but that's it. Oh, the Sport's anti-roll bars are the same as Base too.

Elvin

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie View Post
    im not tryin to insult you or cramp your style, but you shouldve either got those rims a couple inches bigger or find a way to lower the car a couple inches. Then it would look real nice! Im not talking about puttin Dubz on the car, just fillin out the wheel wells a little more. ya know?
    anyways, still real nice and clean CAT!
    Those wheels were a steal at only $999.

They are 18x10 in the rear and 18x8 in the front with nearly new Continental tires.

New this package would likely have been worth $3000+ easily, likely much more.

The wheels were the only auction from the Steinmetz Catera that was actually worth buying.

I can't believe the fool who paid $4500 for that engine!

yellowxhoodie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

haha. yea, especially when u can find a brand new 3.2 CTS engine on ebay for waaaay less. damn, i didnt know they were 18, they look alot smaller in the pic. still nice ride though

The front wheels are 18x8.5 with a 30mm off set 235/40ZR18 and the rears are 18x10 with a 31mm offset 265/35ZR18 . The wheels are silver with a polished aluminum lip. They are 2 piece. The overall diameter of the tire is the same as the stock ones. If the wheels were the stock width (7.5) I would not have bought them, to me that’s a waste of money since there would be no performance gain compared to the stock sport ones. At $1000 I think I got a great deal 5 quality 18” rims not made in china, try to find 4 rims the same size for less!
    My car had the sport package and I’ve been wanting to lower it a little for some time now, my dilemma though was that I really like the handling characteristics and was worried that the lowering springs might be softer then my sport springs. The steinmetz springs are the white ones from eibach and I believe they are the stiffest available, the shocks are bilstein and were revalved for Steinmetz so once I install them this should be an amassing handling package. I was also bidding on the swaybars but was out bided in the last 10 seconds. Next summer when I have all the suspension components and the larger breaks on I plan to go and do a few lapping days at the road course, Mosport is one I hope to drive on.
    I don’t plan to do any power modifications because this is my daily driver and we got some new laws in Ontario that, well… http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/08/n...f-ontariobahn/ with more power I could lose my car.

Quote Originally Posted by MyOpel View Post
    The front wheels are 18x8.5 with a 30mm off set 235/40ZR18 and the rears are 18x10 with a 31mm offset 265/35ZR18. .............
    Outstanding. I thought all the wheels were 18"x8.5". I missed that the rears were 10" wide.

my dilemma though was that I really like the handling characteristics and was worried that the lowering springs might be softer then my sport springs. The steinmetz springs are the white ones from eibach and I believe they are the stiffest available, the shocks are bilstein and were revalved for Steinmetz..................
    That's my problem. I'd like my car a an inch or so lower but am worried about buying shorter but softer springs. I love the ride as it is now. I looked at Eibach's site but they don't list the Catera. Their German site does list the Omega B so I'm still researching.

I was also bidding on the swaybars but was out bided in the last 10 seconds. Next summer when I have all the suspension components and the larger breaks on I plan to go and do a few lapping days at the road course, Mosport is one I hope to drive on. ................
    Same deal with the anti-swaybar. Don't know if there's a thicker one available. I'm still hunting for urethane bushings for it. I've given up on them for the lower control arm. Just how big are those brakes? I assume the discs are larger. Are the calipers the same as on the 2004 GTO/Monaro?
    Elvin

PS: I've been to Mosport for the Superbike races several times. Nice track.

http://www.eibach.de/index_2.php?LID...0&LID4=0&MODL=[D]Omega%20B%20(V94)%20Limousine[/D][E]Omega%20B%20(V94)%20Sedan[/E]&SPA=1&C_lang=en&STEP_2=1&STEP=1&STEP_3=1&HRST=Ope l&STARTLIST=1
    I was able to find a PDF before with more information but i cant find it now.

The rear disks and calipers i have are from the v8 omega, the front rotors are from the v8 omega as well but i plan to use new corvette 2piston calipers. Rears are 12" fronts 13"
    edit... I didn't get the steinmetz brakes

Well all I got to say you are a lucky dude, and probably the only one with these kinds of parts on this side of the pond... You should be proud of what you own.. I am happy with mine and the way it turned out... the exhaust is pretty nice although the tips are freaking huge and I will need to cut the bumper to make it fit... no biggie as long as all other things tuck in...

BTW my cat is a SPORT and soon I am going back to the stock 5spoke 17" rims for the winter and then maybe next summer I am going back to the 18s with some new 245 40 18 rubber. I will try to get a video of the exhaust.
    "

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.