Cadillac Owners Forum banner

gear shift vibration/strange noise in steering

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  yellowxhoodie 
#1 ·
Ok guys i have two problems that i am hoping that somone may have the answer to. 1) Sometimes when i drive, the gear auto/gear shifter moves or vibrates. What do i need to do to stop it form moving?

2) In the morning sometimes after i start my car and i turn the steering wheel, there is a loud moaning noise, and when i turn it does a little vibrating. After a few minutes of driving it doesnt make the noise when i turn or anything, it acts just fine. Am i low on power steering fluid? Thanks.....

#2 ·
Gear Shifter Vibrate While Driving

When i drive i notice that sometimes the gear shifter in my auto/catera will move and vibrate, in there a way to stop the gearshifter from moving and vibrating, i think i saw another thread with the same problem but i cant find it anymore...i think it was the tie rods or something? Correct me if im wrong..

#3 ·
Re: Gear Shifter Vibrate While Driving

could be a number of things. if you notice it more your braking then its probably warped rotors. if so, unfortunately the catera's rotors are unservicable so you wont be able to get them cut. youll have to buy new ones. if not, it could be a bent rim, loose tie rod, loose hub assembly, or a number of other things. All of them are pretty simple, cheap, and easy to fix. hope that helps.

#6 ·

Had this exact problem 2 days ago, as well a little pulsating in the steering wheel. It was definitely my rotors. I replaced the front rotors and put new brake pads all the way around and the problems is gone. Got some pretty expensive quotes, $283 was the cheapest. I decided to change them myself and bought brand new front rotors and pads for front and rear on Ebay for $84.99 + $12.99 shipping. Good luck!

#8 ·

Thats due to the attachment of the lever... and its connection to the trans. mine does the same thing and its probably because the trans shifts around on its mounts and it passes the vibrations to the gear selector... I kinda like it the way it is... its got its own unique feel to it.

#10 ·

CateraMV6. even if you like the way it feels, you should def. get it fixed. Im pretty sure its not because of the car shifting. any vibration in the car while driving is dangerous. The harder and longer it vibrates the worse it is for the car. The vibrations can cause all sorts of bolts and parts to come loose which will only lead to more problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.