Engine running warm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Engine running warm in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 97 Catera is running a little warm. Someone told me that I might need to bleed the engine block ...
    dblake is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Engine running warm

My 97 Catera is running a little warm. Someone told me that I might need to bleed the engine block to get air out of it. Can anyone tell me where the bleeder valve is located? And how to bleed it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Post Re: Engine running warm

Hold on here, first off.. how hot is hot? If it is partially overheating, than it may be that the fuse on the radiator fans popped or they are not working; if not then there are more options.

In relation to your question about bleeding the engine block, you cant. And I think he/she meant the coolant system. To do this you must flush the coolant completely out of the system with the use of distilled water and draining the existing coolant. This is a slightly complicated process and is best left to the pros, although it can be done by yourself... you must have the know-how. A good thing is that it can be done cheaply!

It may take 1-2 times to completely get the air pockets out of the system. Which means you may have to take it back to have them do the procedure twice if they havent already. Most would reccomend you check for leaks and replace hoses comming from the radiator going to the engine also.

And lastly, If this keeps happening with replaced fluids and hoses, then you probably have a bad headgasket.

Note: This vehicle requires a special type of coolant called Dex-Cool extended life, that must be put back into the radiator/cooling system after the flush.

In this post, I do not suggest and/or imply that you attempt flushing the cooling system yourself; which if done improperly can lead to expensive engine repairs. I hereby am not held responsible for any of your actions taken.

Re: Engine running warm

It's not getting into the red on the anolog dash gage and the engine light is not coming on. I do know that one of the fans is coming on but I was unaware that there were two (didn't look that closely). Do they come on at staggered intervals or are they both on the same circuit? If one is running is the other one also running? I haven't had this car long but am starting to get nervous about some of its problems (less than ice cold air, air bag light on, coolant reserve tank needs to be replaced, sunroof with mind of it's own, etc.) I'm afraid I may regret buying this car? AC-works well while driving but seems to die out while waiting at lights and stop signs.

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Quote Originally Posted by dblake
    It's not getting into the red on the anolog dash gage and the engine light is not coming on. I do know that one of the fans is coming on but I was unaware that there were two (didn't look that closely). Do they come on at staggered intervals or are they both on the same circuit? If one is running is the other one also running? I haven't had this car long but am starting to get nervous about some of its problems (less than ice cold air, air bag light on, coolant reserve tank needs to be replaced, sunroof with mind of it's own, etc.) I'm afraid I may regret buying this car? AC-works well while driving but seems to die out while waiting at lights and stop signs.
    One fan is usually for the main radiator, an the second fan is for the AC. They can both come on at once if wanted. You may want to have the compressor checked out and possibly a recharge of R-134. The Coolant reserve tank may be part of the problem...? I assume its getting high on the gauge but not enough to go into red? The sunroof problem has been occuring to some people (funny its just been doing it lately)... im going to guess it may be due to too high of voltage or the switch is not closing completely aka the circuit. No real solution has been devised yet and apparently getting a new switch doesnt work either??

Luxury is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX 4.6L AWD

The catera tends to run hot in hot weather. If your gauge stays below the next line above the half way mark, it is normal. If it goes above that line you man have a problem.

There are actually 3 fans on the catera. The main fan (the one behind the radiator) is always running. The aux fans in front of the radiator can either be off, on slow speed, or on a fast speed, depending on the engine temp. To 2 fans in front should always turn on together. The next time your car is running hot, check to see that both of the front fans are running fast - they are pretty loud when running fast. If not, you may have a bad fan. I had one with bad solder joints at the terminal block that I was able to fix myself. It is unlikely that your high temp problem is caused by air in the system unless your coolant level is low.

I noticed that the coolant in the reservoir was very thick. Decided to drain some off and replace with water. What came out looked like straight coolant. Drained off about a gallon and a half and replaced with water. Running much cooler now. Can a hydrometer designed to measure the old antifreese give an accurate measure of Dextron? Or are specific gravities different? Also, fuses for both AC fans had popped. Fans are both working now. AC was 1/2 lb low on refrigerant. AC is working better now but still a little weak. What is your overall opinion of the 97 Catera. I am not a cadillac enthusiast, just bought it at auction because I thought it was a good deal. Seems to have a new minor problem everyday. I think I have seen almost every gauge on the dash light up at one time or another in just a two month period. Should I unload this one ASAP?

ExcessivePlay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Catera

To follow up on your initial string first. I have a 98 Catera with similar heat related problems, and yes I did have the oil cooler rupture Ė luckily under warranty probably two years ago Ė and now it seams that although it can get pretty hot here in Atlanta all of a sudden with air conditioner working as hard as it can, and not putting out what I would really consider icy cold air, mine temp gauge has risen to the point of the dash light coming on at the same time the oil temp light came on and there was an audible warning tone. This all happened in a matter of just a few minuets as I was trying to make my way out of traffic to a safe place. After a just a few minuets, while I checked to make sure I had fluid in the reservoir, I re-cranked and temp was back to what I also see as normal, between the half and next full line. Since then I have seen the temp climbing on occasion and have checked the radiator rear fan, (working) and front fans, both appear to be running however Iím not sure about fast or slow but they didnít sound like a wind storm or as loud as the rear fan.

Mine also has the same problem with the roof switch and I have just come to live with it. I have thought about removing it and cleaning the contacts but just havenít gotten around to it.

I actually still love how this car looks and drives, when all things are well, however knowing what I know now, re the post problems I have had and knowing the potential for additional problems with some of those being major I would never recommend buying one of these models even to someone I didnít like.

My latest is an obscure oil leak, has been suggested that it could be either the front oil seal or an inherent valve cover issue. Iím hoping for the later since the oil seal is suppose to minimal for the part cost but MAJOR for the labor, something like 18+ hours. The oil leaks down onto the transmission burns off and smells up the interior on occasion.

The weirdest ting that has happened to mine is the Bose radio suddenly stopped working, but only when the car is running, yeah thatís what I said when itís running or turned on the radio will not function however when you turn the car off there is a ten minuet delay, unless you open one of the doors, that you can still operate the windows and that is when the radio will function fully, display, CD, cassette all the presets are still OKÖ I think I have this one narrowed down to an internal problem in the radio with a floating ground but that radio is out being tested now and I havenít hear back to confirm that.

Iím interested to hear more about what may be the heat issues and where I could look next or how to check the fans to make sure they are operating to there fullest.

Good luck with yours.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.