Holy cow! I actually passed a Cimarron today
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Holy cow! I actually passed a Cimarron today in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Was driving down to the folk's house this morning and I actually passed a Cimarron, it looked to be one ...
    AMGoff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '03 Seville STS, '89 Eldorado, '89 Grand Wagoneer

Holy cow! I actually passed a Cimarron today

Was driving down to the folk's house this morning and I actually passed a Cimarron, it looked to be one of the later models possibly an '87 or an '88...

Around these parts, actually seeing one driving down the road is a rarity. While the butt of countless jokes, the last models were in my opinion, not *that* bad of a little car, they just weren't a Cadillac.

I remember I almost bought one sometime back for what would have amounted to nothing more than shits and giggles. It was white one with an all RED leather(ette) interior, I think it was like $1000 or something like that.

I ultimately decided against it as I was told by the wife if I brought that "horrid, little mongrel" home she would redo my office in pink and purple... I laughed until she had the credit card in one hand and a catalog with a $2800 fuchsia-leather loveseat in the other. We never spoke of the Cad-alier again...

I've often wondered if Cadillac's little miscalculation will ever be considered a collector's item one day for being as rare as it was ridiculous? If people are starting to collect cars like the Gremlin I suppose anything's possible...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: Holy Crap! I actually passed a Cimarron today

There's one floating around the city I live in. I see it every now and then...probably 1-2x a month.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

AMGoff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '03 Seville STS, '89 Eldorado, '89 Grand Wagoneer

Re: Holy Crap! I actually passed a Cimarron today

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    There's one floating around the city I live in. I see it every now and then...probably 1-2x a month.
    It's weird to see isn't it? Especially for a car that no one evidently bought!

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Re: Holy cow! I actually passed a Cimarron today

Quote Originally Posted by AMGoff View Post
    I remember I almost bought one sometime back for what would have amounted to nothing more than shits and giggles. It was white one with an all RED leather(ette) interior, I think it was like $1000 or something like that.

I ultimately decided against it as I was told by the wife if I brought that "horrid, little mongrel" home she would redo my office in pink and purple... I laughed until she had the credit card in one hand and a catalog with a $2800 fuchsia-leather loveseat in the other. We never spoke of the Cad-alier again...
    Your wife cracks me up! I must say I agree with her.

I always called it the Chevillac or the Cadillac of Cavaliers.

Red_October_7000 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None yet!

There are a couple in my area, and I've seen them in the junk yard and gotten an idea for what they're all about. Not bad, but just not what you'd expect form a Cadillac, either. I understand the V6/5-speed cars were quite quick, but when these were around nobody was buying Cadillacs because they were quick. The 4cyl/auto cars were just dogs, though. Pretty much a textbook example of how not to do this, just like the Lincoln Versailles, which too wasn't bad at all, just happened to be a very high-optioned Granada...

White Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by AMGoff View Post
    Was driving down to the folk's house this morning Around these parts, actually seeing one driving down the road is a rarity. While the butt of countless jokes, the last models were in my opinion, not *that* bad of a little car, they just weren't a Cadillac.
    I've got an '86 with the digital dash and 2.8 v6. You're right, it's not *that* bad of a little car just not a "Cadillac". But was it really meant to be ?

As I recall from the marketing of that time, they weren't trying to compete for traditional "Cadillac" buyers but for "Upscale Import" buyers; the people who would otherwise buy Audi 4000s, BMW 3-series, Volvo 740s, etc.

And there was a certain logic to it. After all, VW AG had taken the VW Passat/Dasher, plushed up the interior and power options and called it an "Audi 4000" and created one of the best-selling imports of all time. Why couldn't GM do the same by taking a Cavalier and turning it into a Cadillac ?

ANSWER: Ergonomics and Handling. In addition to my '86 Cimarron, I've also owned a number of Audi 4000s, 5000s and VWs of the same era, any of which are 3X the car this cimarron is. When it comes to Ergonomics and Handling, this car isn't even my '85 VW Jetta, let alone an Audi.

QUESTION: How could GM f*** it up so bad ? Obviously GM knew how to build euro-spec cars, because in the same era the Cimarron was sold in Europe as the Opel Ascona - albeit with a euro-tuned suspension - and actually beat Audi and BMW in sales for two years running.

I'm thinking the answer to this has more to do with GM management and marketing than with engineering.

Did GM marketing deliberately "soften-up" and/or "down-tune" the suspension of the Cimarron to appeal to big car buyers? I'd love to have access to an Opel Ascona of the same vintage to make a side-by-side comparison.

Hopefully they got it "right" on the Catera.

CateraZigs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

I saw one up at Walmart the other day, it too was white with red interior. It would be funny if they did one day become collector's items. Although, I bet 50 years ago, if you said that Bel-Airs would one day be worth $40k+ for a restored one, they would laugh at you. Off topic, but, were there any cars around 20+ years ago, that you never thought would be collectable, but became so?

DavidL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4

I confess: I owned a Cadillac Cimarron (an '88); it was a reliable car while I had it, but soon got rid of it for an Eldorado. I now own a 92 Allanté and a 08 CTS.

And, remember: they laughed at the Edsel; now the Edsel is starting to be highly collectible, so who knows what might happen with the Cimarron.

88Cimarron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Cimarron

well guys, i own an 88 cimarron, #665 of 6,454 built in 88, ac blows cold and most everything works, i paid $500 for it.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

The '88 must be the one to have. I had a neighbor that bought one for his wife in'98. He drove a Jeep something. She was thrilled. Her father was a cadillac dealer years ago and she spent a lot of time in the Caddys at the showroom. That Cimarron was loaded and had the V6. It must have spent its life pampered in a garage and only driven on national holidays because it was mint. It was white on red leather and even had whitewall tires. They moved away about 5 tears ago but as far as I know she still has it and drives it daily.

I thought hers was cute, but too '80ish for me back when it was new with that boxy GM styling and knowing it was a J-Car it wasn't Cadillac enough. I wouldn't have bought one then but now at current prices for a cheap winter commuter? Maybe.

Elvin

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

They should all be set on fire to erase any evidence of them ever existing.

theniceguy_26251 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I own a 88 cimarron. Looks like the one pictured at the top of the thread. Its fast, handles VERY well, is moderately reliable plus, parts are cheap (it uses SO many same parts as the other same year GM's with a 2.8L V6). The wife drives a 99 Deville, of course she looks down on it LOL. I'm thinking of putting a spoiler on the rear deck (its a rather anemic looking ass-end) the front actually looks kind of sporty, with the air dam and fog lights. I also paid 500$ for mine. The downside is it only gets 20mpg, thats it. Its really suprising how quick it is. Anybody know the HP of these cars?

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Honestly for 1988 (not the pinnacle of automotive design), a Cimarron like the one picture in the OP doesn't look too bad.

Are the Cobalt and the G5 really that much different 20 years later? I'm just asking -- I wouldn't own one of those either...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Chicano-Mexicano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Sports Coupe

Their are two sitting out front of the Junk yard were I live and their were they belong.

GunmetalCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

I think I've seen one or two im my lifetime and I'm not 13 if you get my drift.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.