Stereo Updgrade?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Stereo Updgrade? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, I am hoping to add an amplifier and sub to my car while keeping my existing factory system ...
    vogel81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Stereo Updgrade?

Hello all,

I am hoping to add an amplifier and sub to my car while keeping my existing factory system in place. I have the Bose system which sounds great....just want a little more punch. I am wondering if I am able to use a line level converter in order to get the signal to my amp. I am concerned with this approach due to the Bose system using a different impedance. (I think???) I am wondering if I hooked the line level converter up before the Bose amplifiers, (i.e. directly behind the radio) if it would work, and then I wouldn't have to worry about impedence issues?? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mytmous is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Stereo Updgrade?

Just got on here but thought I'd answer, If you use a line level adapter,

I'd(I'm doing now) use the wires in the trunk, split the ones to the rear speakers, so you still get sound out of them, then use the line level to plug into the amp. Adjust as needed.

What size you going to? or what are you putting in?

I'm making a custom fiberglass piece to go where the spare tire is, will most likely use a single 12, audiobahn Flame Q, maybe invert to show off the basket,
    and play up the Chrome. But I'm still working on the design layout for it.

I am also going to design a box to fit. I plan to make a bos that will fit on the left side of the trunk right in front of the spare. I plan to use a Rockford Fosgate 2 channel amp (not my first choice, but I have one laying around) and either a single 10" or 12" JL.

Found out on mine, that on the right side I have the CD Changer hook up, so I have my remote turn on source.

I will now mount the amp in there or on the outside and wire it on the right, run the wires under the trunk carpet to the left side for the box and speaker.

I'm trying to hide the line converter up in the amp rack and run the wires through the side wall so I don't lose any trunk space.

where did you find the CD changer hookup?? Everything else sounds like it makes sense and good luck with your installation.

on my 01 on the right side of the trunk, I opened the little access door like to change the brake light bulb out(which is what I was doing at the time) and sitting there clipped to the fender was the CD changer plug, just waiting to get plugged in.

Speedingpenguin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

thats actually how we found out the car had it! one of the bulbs was flickering a little bit, so we were trying to get to it and we had the cover off inside the trunk and i was like 'You sure this car doesnt have the CD changer?' (this was back like right after my dad got the car in 98), and he insisted that it was just the hook up for it.....we looked at it for a few minutes, pushed the little cover on top to the side and he was like 'Well, I guess it is!'
    Pretty surprising, LOL

I'll have to check it out. I never thought to look for it. I'll see if it's the same for my 99. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.