Catera Swap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera Swap in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I have a 98 Catera that has a bad motor.... Im new to the cadi world but i am ...
    CadiJones is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Catera Swap

So I have a 98 Catera that has a bad motor.... Im new to the cadi world but i am very familiar with the import scene mainly nissan.

My question is has anybody tried/completed a rb or sr20 swap in a catera? anyway to make it work? i have a front clip off of a skyline complete with a rb25 and everything that comes with it.

anybody!!! please help!!!

if your just going to bash this thread dont bother thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Catera Swap

Not being familiar with Nissans I don't know what a RB25 is. I assume it's the engine from a front drive model. I've never heard of anyone here fitting one in a Catera so I doubt we'll have the answers you need. Still, I'm curious. What;s wrong with your Catera's engine?

The Cat has GM's L81 3.0 liter 54* V6. They used it in the 1997-2001 Cadillac Catera, 2000 Saturn L-Series, 2002 Saturn VUE, Saab 9-5, Saab 9000.
    It's narrower than most so measure the RB25 to start with. Being a rear wheel drive car the L81 sits longitudinally in the chassis so your RB25 would need headers to point the exhaust to the rear. Then there's the engine computer to deal with and the tranny. Find an L81 from one of the cars I listed and replace yours.

Or, why not swap in a 3.2 54* V6 from the Caddy CTS? They're available on eBay and slip right in with little drama. There are people here that can help with that swap. GM fixed most of the issues with the L81 and called the new version the LA3.

skylines are rear wheel drive so that part is no biggie and the motors are slim but measuring does need to come first and probably mount placement and all of that would come next... im sure it would be a huge pain in the rear but... nobody has it...

not sure whats wrong with the motor exactly... sat for 2 years so... im sure thats part of it... id be willing to sell the motor to someone that would want it tho pretty cheap

the stsv swap has come to mind but price is another thing haha.. too damn expensive.

the main thing with the rb swap is just getting the wiring to work and everything i know mixing gm and japanese things dont work that well so if someone had full diagrams of all wiring for EVERYTHING then that would be a good starting point.

ariza034 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera Soon CTS

yah i was thinking of turbocharging the stock motor but then i when talked to couple people they said that the trans cant take the beating .... so now i am selling the cadillac motor and i am also thinking of swaping a sr20det motor from an s14... i think i should be no brainer because cateras in england came with inline 4 motors (mounts similar to sr motors) so well see how it all works out if i am able to sell the caddi motor the swap is happening 100%

id tell u to try to swap the motor b.c i am 80% sure it will work... but i will tell u not to do it (A) because i want to be the first one with a SR swap

Po Pimp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92' Eldorado, 97 Catera

I guess it is possible but would be mind boggling. You basically would need the whole Skyline to part out. You would be going in blind and would probably have to transplant most things, even things like the dash.

All of the below will mount to the stock transmission.

BMW:
    96-00 Z3
    92-98 318i
    97-99 323i
    92-96 325i
    96-99 328i
    91-95 525i
    96-99 528i

Honda:
    94-01 Passport

Acura:
    96-present SLX

Isuzu:
    99-present Amigo
    01-present VehiCross
    91-98 Rodeo
    96-01 Trooper

BMW has many that will mount if you are into straight lines, although, I figure you inquire about those engines for the power and potential. Keep in mind the stock transmission can only handle 258ft-lbs. That is not alot.

There are a couple other engines I know will mount to this tranny but are either to powerful or stepping backwards.

i have planned on swapping in the whole tranny and everything from the skyline. and figure out a way to get a stick in the cadi instead be much nicer. i think anyways. the rb25 comes with about 250hp anyways so like said its gonna have to be changed in some way. i hope the rear end can handle that too not sure if it will but i really hope so. i guess we will find out... not sure how the cadi handles drifting either...

im just going to have to go in way blind on this one and just hope things come out on top... if i can get this to work trust me ill let everyone know how big of a pain it was and not tell a sole how its done haha just kidding!
    not really sure why i wanna do this but i know that nissan motors are tough and very powerful tho

we will see what happens tho... anymore imput would be great... possibly some wiring info cuz thats going to be the hardest part... i can bolt sh*t just cant wire so... pray!!

maybe ill just buy one of these:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=2

You will need the whole Skyline to have a shoot at completing this project. All the computers will have to be switched into the Catera. These two systems will not intergrate.

That being said if I got my hands on a Skyline I would repair it instead of throwing the stuff in a Catera.

For the money you are looking at it would be more feesible to rebuild the Catera engine. It can be built to handle boost if the rebuild is done properly switching some of the internals in the process.

In 2000 there was a Catera prototype with a supercharger. Steinmetz made the supercharger and is on some Opels to my knowledge. How you would go about getting your hands on one of these is something I have not figured out. Rotrex makes superchargers that are verstile enough to get in this car with a little hard work. Saab makes turbos. The manifold from appearance looks to be the exact same pattern that is on are Cateras. I saw one for sell on E-bay not to long ago with a buy now of $550, went for less then that. The main obsticle here is that the Saab is FWD. The manifold was made to fit on what would be your passenger side facing the firewall. I do not have enough information on these yet but it seems as though it could be flipped around to the other side of the engine. I know where one is in a junkyard, I will be making my way up there in the next month, to do some testing. I know the guys so hopefully he will be sympathitic to what I am trying to do and leave with it for free. He has done this in the past. He either got paid or it got returned, once I mounted it back on since he was being nice.

The tranny can only handle 258ft-lbs. If you do look into anything like this make your calculations with this in mind. With the stock 197ft-lbs it has a little punch, jumping it up by fifty-five would give it alot of punch, I think at least. I think this is about where they should have put it anyway because of the weight.

A correction. Steinmetz made the prototype in 1999.

The car was of course tricked out with there aftermarket equipment. The car produced 288bhp, 273ft-lbs and did 0-60mph in 6.1 seconds. Not sure if the TCS was on or off.

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Big waste of time to do such a swap.

Do an LS1 swap instead. It will cost less and make more power.

Keep in mind that this is a heavy sedan that needs an engine with low end grunt. When you upgrade the turbo's on the RB, which I presume you're planning, you will lose all of its low end torque.

The aluminum LS1 also weighs much less (over 100 lbs less) than the heavy iron RB. There is a good reason that LS1 swap's are so popular in Nissan 240SX's.

pierre19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i have a 97 catera that needs a new motor , i was wondering what happened to ur catera ?? and can anyone help me ! wat other car's motor i can put in my car easily?? ,im lookin for a cheaper easy to find motor that will fit in my catera besides the same 3.0 6v that my car has. all i want is my car to be driveable to get to work and college ,thats all ...
    thanks

Pierre19 nothing will go in there cheap except the 3.0L. The 3.2L out of a CTS will fit and not require a computer change but you will still have to figure out how to change the ignition system among other things. You would also have to obtain them from the newer models which would make the swap price go up substainally.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre19 View Post
    i have a 97 catera that needs a new motor , i was wondering what happened to ur catera ?? and can anyone help me ! wat other car's motor i can put in my car easily?? ,im lookin for a cheaper easy to find motor that will fit in my catera besides the same 3.0 6v that my car has. all i want is my car to be driveable to get to work and college ,thats all ...
    thanks
    There are brand new 3.2 liter engines available. A few owners have installed them in their cars. Not sure if any of them were '97s so check the older engine threads for more info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADIL...QQcmdZViewItem

lac55555 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    Not being familiar with Nissans I don't know what a RB25 is. I assume it's the engine from a front drive model. I've never heard of anyone here fitting one in a Catera so I doubt we'll have the answers you need. Still, I'm curious. What;s wrong with your Catera's engine?

The Cat has GM's L81 3.0 liter 54* V6. They used it in the 1997-2001 Cadillac Catera, 2000 Saturn L-Series, 2002 Saturn VUE, Saab 9-5, Saab 9000.
    It's narrower than most so measure the RB25 to start with. Being a rear wheel drive car the L81 sits longitudinally in the chassis so your RB25 would need headers to point the exhaust to the rear. Then there's the engine computer to deal with and the tranny. Find an L81 from one of the cars I listed and replace yours.

Or, why not swap in a 3.2 54* V6 from the Caddy CTS? They're available on eBay and slip right in with little drama. There are people here that can help with that swap. GM fixed most of the issues with the L81 and called the new version the LA3.

I have a 97 catera and I need to rebuild the motor . I have one cracked pistons . Can I use a piston out of any of these cars 2000 Saturn L-Series, 2002 Saturn VUE, Saab 9-5, Saab 9000 ?? Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by lac55555 View Post
    I have a 97 catera and I need to rebuild the motor . I have one cracked pistons . Can I use a piston out of any of these cars 2000 Saturn L-Series, 2002 Saturn VUE, Saab 9-5, Saab 9000 ?? Thanks .
    Not sure. The displacements are the same except for the Saab Turbo which is 2.8L. Compare specs. if the compression ratios are the samw as the Catera's then the piston crowns are likely the same shape and should clear the combustion chamber's roof and valves.

Since you revived this thread I thought I'd toss in this thread Re: Toyota engined Omegas. Not sure what model Toyota engine is pictured but it does prove that an inline 6 mill will fit.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...oms-swaps.html

ELVIN

lac55555 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

one last question . would the GM L81 motor out of a Saab 9-5, Saab 9000 bolt right up to my catera transmission ? I might be able to get my hands on a saab motor for dirt cheap . Thanks alot .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.