GTO Brake SWAP LOG. - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, GTO Brake SWAP LOG. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Out of curiosity...How much different are the bolt patterns between the two? Or is the 04 GTO rotor the same ...
    Black02SLPSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: GTO Brake SWAP LOG.

Out of curiosity...How much different are the bolt patterns between the two? Or is the 04 GTO rotor the same diameter and thickness of the catera rotor?

meh new catera rotors are pretty cheap.. ill just buy new ones.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Talking Re: GTO Brake SWAP LOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS View Post
    meh new catera rotors are pretty cheap.. ill just buy new ones.
    I think GTO ones are 5x115 or 5x114.3 same as the BMW bolt patterns... M3s in particular...

As for size they are exactly identical with the exception of bolt pattern so I dont see why anyone would even bother with them.... just get a set of OEM ones from the local auto zone and you will be happy, the ones on ebay, are drilled and they can crack especially if you were to use them with the bigger GTO calipers, because you increase clamping forces and those holes when heated stretch out and stress the metal around it and pretty soon they can fail and if that happens at a higher speed you are a dead man...

Also the holes were for decreasing weight and allowing for room for the gases created by the pads to escape but thats a thing of the past the new pads dont gas up so unless you care for looks I would recommend that you stay away from those...

Another thing with sloted rotors is that you loose gripping area where the slots are so its as if you decreased the size of your rotor...

Best braking will be out of Solid Vented rotor, with GTO calipers and C5 pads... Hawk or whatever brand you like...
    I got the cheapest money can buy from autozone... C5 Z06 pads and they grip like no other, much much better then the previous GTO pads..

steinmetz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi, did anyone find out if the c5 caliper will fit the catera? What about the c6 caliper?

And do the gto 05-06 caliper fit on the gto 04 bracket?

C5 and C6 calipers are the same. Along with the 05-06 GTO calipers. The mounting brackets are different. Especially on the GTO's. If you want to use the 05 goat calipers you would need to change hubs, which would intail changing wheels to match the new lug pattern. However you CAN use a C5-C6 pad on the 04 Goat caliper and that will give you better braking. I just got a set of 04 GTO calipers and they look identicle to my Camaro SS calipers. Just another piece of info, alot of people on LS1tech do a C5 brake upgrade, however it is also known that the C5 calipers have less clamping pressure than the Fbody calipers due to having smaller pistons. But it is still an upgrade because there is more surface area on the C5 rotor.

Not quite the same there are some differences... the C5 are wider becasue the C5 rotor is 1/4" thicker and that will be a problem...

BTW here is my latest research project and a few teaser photos...
    I will update on the progress as I install these but from first looks the calipers are totaly different however the piston size is identical so thats good news... but I am affraid that they will sit too far back on the guide pins as the 1/4" has to be absorbed by something... and the pistons will stick out too far and alsmo it makes me wonder whats going to happen when the rotor wears and the pads ge thiner... not sure if its gonna be a safe swap but its worth a try...

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

I've got the calipers, bracketes, and lines for the GTO brake upgrade and have everything running smooth. That's until i'm ready to disconnect the brake hose from the bracket on the car. I've never done fluid for brakes, just pads but i have my friends uncle who knows how to do that but i'm confused as hell on how to get the rubber hose from the bracket the screws into the hard line. Somebody please help!! It's probably easier than i'm making it out to be but i'm still learning on things. I know ALOT but this has taken my cake. Thanks

Are you talking about the monunt on the body?

If so I think I had to disconnect the Rubber hose from it and reconnect the GTO Hose to the line... I think you need to use line wrenches otherwise you strip the nuts on those brake lines.

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

well i figured it out yesterday. Got some more pics later. This is a great upgrade

tcklaws is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Do you still have the 04 GTO Calipers? I don't know if the 05 calipers would fit on my 2000 sport or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcklaws View Post
    Do you still have the 04 GTO Calipers? I don't know if the 05 calipers would fit on my 2000 sport or not.

Thanks
    Nope the 05-06 were entirely different, bigger rotors, thicker, more offset, so none of those components will work unless you redrill the GTO rotor, and somehow figure out a way to mount it on your car...

The rotor is the biggest stopper in the whole thing... look for the 04 units, which have a set but they are not ready yet... I will post around when I get them ready to go...

Ok, for those of you who have upgraded to stainless steel lines, which ones did you use?

Wilwood dont work they are specific to their calipers, something about the size of the connectors...

There is also stoptech, and baer?

Any links or prices?

Kodan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega Caravan 2.6 V6 Onyx | 2002 | Automaat | Irmscher.

Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    Ok, for those of you who have upgraded to stainless steel lines, which ones did you use?

Wilwood dont work they are specific to their calipers, something about the size of the connectors...

There is also stoptech, and baer?

Any links or prices?
    My local garage made them for me, front and rear.
    Brake Lines are from Goodridge

Peter

Q2SUPHOMIES is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

2004 gto calipers rotors 250 plus ship

Hello all,
    A member let me know you guys are interested in 04 calipers..I just upgraded my car so don't need them. In good shape. PM me...take care..shipping based on location...always try to find the best price for shipping.
    Attached Images

Q2SUPHOMIES is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Bump for 04 brake sale Q2SUPHOMIES

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.