GTO Brake SWAP LOG. - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, GTO Brake SWAP LOG. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by elvin315 They will not fit unless you also change to the 05-06 hub and disc, if that ...
    cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: GTO Brake SWAP LOG.

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post

They will not fit unless you also change to the 05-06 hub and disc, if that can even be done. Of course now you'll have hubs/discs with a different lug bolt pattern from stock meaning you'll need different wheels fore and aft. Might be the reason far no one has tried it that I know of.

Elvin

oh darn.... I guess the 04 calipers search continues

sccatera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Catera 2002 SEville STS

The GTO calipers I have look similar to the 1998 - 2002 Camaro/Firebird. My daughter has a 1998 Camaro and I will try to compare the two. If they are the same, F bady calipers should be easier to find.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by sccatera97 View Post
    The GTO calipers I have look similar to the 1998 - 2002 Camaro/Firebird. My daughter has a 1998 Camaro and I will try to compare the two. If they are the same, F bady calipers should be easier to find.
    If the 3rd generation F Bodies don't have the same Opel calipers, I doubt they will fit the Catera. Look for the OPEL cast into the caliper. While you're at it measure the diameter and thickness of the disc. The Catera disc is:

11.65 in. dia. x 1.1 in. thick. / 296mm dia. x 28mm thick.

If the F Body discs are thicker then likewise the calipers will be wider. If the Catera discs are thinner, the F caliper's pistons might overextend and pop out or jam in the bores. The seals might leak. Not trying to rain on your parade. I hope they do fit the Catera. Just pointing out some potential pitfalls. Brakes are too important to second guess.

These pictures are from RockAuto.com and are not to scale.

F Body =>GTO =>

It looks a lot like the GTO caliper but there are a few differences in the casting like the part between the cut-outs and the ribs on top. They still could work but it depends on the mounting bracket. Whether the F bracket fits the Catera hub is another question mark. Maybe the F caliper fits the Catera or GTO bracket. That would solve a lot of problems.

Elvin

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Well I hear the Corvette Calipers are identical and fit the GTO brackets and can be used as an upgrade or replacement... now if the Vette caliperes match the F-bodies then the I don't see why we couldn't use these instead...
    My buddy has a Grand Prix GXP and he too did an upgrade with F-body Calipers and from the outside they look the same... size shape... etc... even the brackets look very similar...

PEETYZ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I was going to say the C5 calipers (non zo6 calipers) Fbod calipers and 04 GTO calipers are very similar why do most get gto ones? The bracket fits the best someone who has access to f bod or reg C5 calipers should try the brackets

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by PEETYZ View Post
    I was going to say the C5 calipers (non zo6 calipers) Fbod calipers and 04 GTO calipers are very similar why do most get gto ones? The bracket fits the best someone who has access to f bod or reg C5 calipers should try the brackets
    Looking similar doesn't mean they will fit. If the spacing between the mounting holes match then we have something. Other things like whether the caliper clears the disc circumference or where the disc aligns between the pads come later. I could post pictures all day but until someone takes measurements or tries fitting these calipers on a Catera we're no better off than before.

F Body>GTO >C5>

As for why we seek the GTO calipers is that they fit and they're cheap. Basically we're buying someones trash. GTO owners upgrade from '04 to '05 or whatever brakes and shove the old parts in a box. They have no use for them and no one to sell them to but us.

I kind of hope the Corvette and F Body calipers don't fit. If they do it means I won't have the best possible brakes. It means I'll have to spend more time online shopping for Corvette brakes on Corvette forums at Corvette prices. I won't be able to sleep thinking about red C5 calipers. Already I have nightmares because I don't have C5 pads. I really really hope Corvette calipers don't fit.

Elvin

what are the chances a c5 caliper will fit? I may take one for the team and order one if there is a reasonable chance it'll fit.

MyOpel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Y57XE

The C5 caliper its self will fit but you'll still need the 04 gto metal bracket.
    Why not just register on the GTO forum and ask for a set?

Quote Originally Posted by MyOpel View Post
    The C5 caliper its self will fit but you'll still need the 04 gto metal bracket.
    Why not just register on the GTO forum and ask for a set?
    I've been trying...

can't seem to find one for sale... ebay ones aren't sending to canada

I know I'm being impatient... but it's been a couple of months now...

I have a line on calipers, but no brackets...

MyOpel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Y57XE

I posted on ls1gto.com in the WTB section for brake lines and within minutes had responses. If you have a low post count and/or no trading history it helps to let them know your ebay feedback rating (if its good lol) here is what i added to my WTB post:
    Shipping would be to Toronto Canada but I’ll be in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Indiana in the near future and could save you the hassle of shipping.
    I can pay with PayPal or other methods (if I pickup I can pay cash), my eBay feedback is 100%

It helps to make it as easy as possible for the potential seller. Just posting 'i want 04 brakes' (not saying you did) might actually discourage people who have a set from contacting you because they have to make more effort. Also search the forum for 04to05 brake swap threads and PM the people with a link to your WTB thread. My guess is people who do the 05 swap on their 04 end up just throwing the old calipers into the corner of the garage thinking they are worthless.

I ended up having the brake lines shipped to my place
    good luck

I would.... but the only problem is that my post count is at 1 so I can't start a thread... I tried checking all the 05-06 brake threads and try messaging the buyer if they want to sell their 04 calipers. no dice so far. all I get is that they won't be doing the swap for a while.

maybe I'll just search your thread and bump it.

hahah my ebay is 100% but only have a rating of 3...

did you change the rear brakes too?

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

wow this is some news. I hope they do fit just for the sake of something else we can ACTUALLY upgrade to possibly the top of the line in brakes! Money of course is another object that will only keep me further from some kind of magic brake upgrade that would look great. good luck on all your work guys!

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Well all and all the C5 brakes are the same size caliperwise so you wont see any additional benefits except maybe easier to find. I have an upgrade for the Catera ready to sell soon and it will be all the things you need for the swap... just give me a few more days to finish the work...
    Also currently on ebay there is a complete set.. but it will run you 100$shipped and it includes the rears as well... You can use those but I'd rather stick with my dual piston non floating calipers back there...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem

Catera is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi,
    here the pics.

Greets

ariza034 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera Soon CTS

what is the size of those wheels/tires and do you have a full body shot

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.