GTO Brake SWAP LOG. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, GTO Brake SWAP LOG. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; like it was said earlier. You need some rims with bigger gaps to show those things off! even if you ...
    yellowxhoodie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: GTO Brake SWAP LOG.

like it was said earlier. You need some rims with bigger gaps to show those things off! even if you do want to keep your sport stock because its rare, you can always throw the stock rims back on whenever.

Brosepe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Do they not fit because the GTO calipers require a larger diameter wheel or because of the width of the wheel? Could I uses some wheel spacers to gain more clearance?

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Brosepe View Post
    Do they not fit because the GTO calipers require a larger diameter wheel or because of the width of the wheel? Could I uses some wheel spacers to gain more clearance?
    Spacers won't help. The inner wheel surface won't clear the calipers unless the wheels are at least 17 inches. New wheels don't have to be expensive. There are always bargains on eBay. The Tire Rack has a nice selection of Catera wheels ranging from $89 - $199. Add tires and maybe they'll give you a discount. They have more expensive ones too.

Beware: Not all the wheels listed on eBay for the Catera will fit the Catera. Remember, if you want them to fit and not ruin the handling, or destroy the wheel bearings, they must have a 5x110 bolt pattern and, depending on the wheel, a +35mm to +45mm offset. Offset determines the wheel's inner and outer clearances. Follow the link to an explanation of offset and how to measure it. Or you can use the Offset Calculator.
    http://www.yokohamatire.com/utcustom.asp
    http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
    https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Supposedly, wheels for the following cars will also fit the Catera (97-01). Verify before paying.

Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharge/5lug 05-07
    Chevrolet HHR LS/LT 06-07
    Chevrolet Malibu LS 04-07
    Chevrolet Malibu LT/LTZ 04-07
    Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT/LTZ 04-07
    Chevrolet Malibu SS 06-07

Pontiac G5 GT 2007
    Pontiac G6 Base/GT 05-07
    Pontiac G6 GTP 05-07
    Pontiac Solstice 06-07

Saab 900/5lugs 94-97 (needs stud kit)
    Saab 9 3 99-01
    Saab 9 3 02-07
    Saab 9 4 93-98
    Saab 9 5 99-07

Saturn Aura XE/XR 2007
    Saturn Ion Redline 05-07
    Saturn L-Series 00-05
    Saturn Sky 07-08
    Saturn Sky Redline 07-08

Wheels on eBay
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...els&category0=

The Tire Rack
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...ar=&sort=Brand

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Here are some GTO calipers both Front and Rear for a real good price... You just need some new pads and paint and they will be ready for instalation.

Item number: 220179481048

Catera is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi,
    here one picture of my new brake pads.

I only lack the brake hoses now.
    I have ordered which ones from Baer of stainless steel now.

Greets Catera

Hi,
    here my new Baer Brake Line Kit.
    For the GTO calipers.

Greets Catera

Woahhh looks pretty... come on lets see the swap... show some more pictures... I am happy to report that in the last 15K miles that I have put on the car I had no issues with the new brakes, they function just like the stock ones, only problem being that the ABS has to work harder under slippery conditions but an easy fix to that is some wider tires up front...

I downloaded the Baer catalog but they don't list any brake lines. I did find GTO hoses
    from StopTech. They look like yours but I don't know if they include the brackets and clips.

click

Elvin

Hi,
    i have ordered the Brake Lines over Baer.
    But stop Tech 950.62004 stands on the packet.

All this is a little more difficult in Germany.
    Because with us there officially are not the GTO brake lines.

Greets Catera

Thank you. That explains it. I downloaded the StopTech / SportStop catalog and that part number is listed for the 2004 GTO. I will add these brake hoses to my list of things to buy for my Catera.

click

Elvin

batboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Howdy, I'm one of the guys from the LS1GTO forum. I tried to talk my wife into getting a Catera last month when she was looking, but she bought a Mitsubishi instead (women, sheesh).

I have a 04 GTO that I upgraded to larger 05 brakes. That means I have extra 04 GTO parts laying around gathering dust. My wife would like to see them gone. I changed brakes at around 10k miles, so they are in excellent condition. I have pics if anyone is interested.

I saw some discussion about whether 16" wheels will fit over 04 calipers. I have no personal experience, but I've seen others on my forum use 16" wheels. The 05/06 GTO calipers are bigger and a 16" wheel definitely don't fit over the bigger brakes. Now I don't know if Catera 16" wheels have less offset or are thicker than what others used. The standard wheel on a 04 GTO is indeed 17", so to be perfectly safe, that might be your best course of action if you do upgrade.

I've also heard the rear shocks and coil springs from the GTO will fit on the Catera. These supposedly are much better than the stock stuff. I also have those too, since I've also upgrade my suspension.

Glad to see folks over here are doing some mods to make their Cateras more sporty. The GTO and Catera are distance cousins and you might find other stuff that will interchange. Good luck.

Cadi Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    Woahhh looks pretty... come on lets see the swap... show some more pictures... I am happy to report that in the last 15K miles that I have put on the car I had no issues with the new brakes, they function just like the stock ones, only problem being that the ABS has to work harder under slippery conditions but an easy fix to that is some wider tires up front...
    What do you mean they have to work harder? Meaning the ABS isn't as effective?

Talking Re: GTO Brake SWAP LOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadi Cat View Post
    What do you mean they have to work harder? Meaning the ABS isn't as effective?
    Well before the upgrade, I could step on the pedal as hard as I can and I could never lock the brakes up, on dry pavement that is... the car just sort of came to a stop and that was it... now with the larger brakes the front wheels actually lock up and the abs has to kick in, and that only happens during really hard panick stops... but the important part is that it stops like hell... I have put them through some pretty abusive driving including an AutoX course and a lot of Chicago traffic stuff, and so far no brake fade or anything of that sort... just solid pedal feel and big smiles...
    In normal condtioins I would say that you wont notice any difference in brake feel or braking forces... but in those special moments you know you can count on them...

Hi,
    pics from my brakes comming in 2-3 weeks.

Greets

sccatera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Catera 2002 SEville STS

I just got a set of 2004 calipers and rotors of ebay for $37.00 including shipping. Can't use the rotors, but for the price who really caresAnd yes they do fit a 1997.

And they will fit under stock 16 inch wheels if you want to retain them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.