GTO Brake SWAP LOG. - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, GTO Brake SWAP LOG. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Its not bad...Nothing overly special...And to all you hockey fans, I played peewee hockey with Sid the Kid....
    Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Re: GTO Brake SWAP LOG.

Its not bad...Nothing overly special...And to all you hockey fans, I played peewee hockey with Sid the Kid.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

The complete package, Carriers, Calipers, Pads and lines weights at 19.5lbs which is right at the limit for the medium flat rate shipping box (USPS) whcih for Canada is 25$ I think and for rest of the world its around 45$...

Just a heads up.

Q2SUPHOMIES is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Here is another post for the $50 calipers you guys are looking for..but they want $175...for the whole package. Maybe you can get a deal from him...I'm still at $125 for excellent condition red. Just thought I'd post for you all. Good luck

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342768

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hi,

I tried to send a private message but your inbox was full.

I had a question about the bolt for the brake line that bolts to the caliper. Did you use the catera one or the GTO one? I used the catera bolt for the GTO caliper and it went in with a very little difficulty but ended up stripping the threads in the caliper. Do you know what can be done to get it fixed and what size brake line bolt is it? Where can I get those bolts (2) for both sides. Your help is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks.

I would use the GTO one, as its made for that caliper, the Catera bolt may be different, smaller or with different thread.

... now since you stripped the threads you can try one of two things... get a tap kit from home depot or wherever they sell them and see if you can clean out the threads, then find some GTO bolts and see if they will hold.

The next thing you can do is, drill larger hole, then retap it but then you run into the issue of locating a bolt with the proper fitment....

Perhaps you can find a new pair of calipers off ebay... and hope that those come with the correct hardware.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

thanks for the information. I'll get couple banjo bolts but no local part stores carry them so will have to get it from the dealer. Then rent or buy the thread restorer and fix the thread on the caliper.

wyse18 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 catera base model

i couldnt find any authentic gto brake caliper kits, but i did find this

Wilwood 140-9296 Pontiac GTO 2004-05 Disc Brakes 14" S6
    features:
    Performance Proven Billet Superlite 6 Piston Calipers
    Vented Iron Rotors 12.90" Rotors (optional drill/slotted rotors not included)
    Aluminum Alloy Brake Hats
    Polymatrix High Performance Brake Pads
    Aluminum Caliper Brackets with Grade 8 & Aircraft Spec. Hardware
    would this work for my 2000 cadillac catera base model

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

The quick answer is no. The GTO discs have a different lug bolt pattern. They also have a much larger total diameter than the Catera's. The Wilwood calipers are massive. They won't fit a Catera's smaller brake disc, plus you'd need a larger master-cylinder to pump enough fluid to move the pistons. Trust me, the GTO calipers are the ticket. They're not a kit. We buy them from GTO owners who've upgraded their brakes. We only but the calipers, their mounts, and the caliper brake hoses.

That said, with enough money anything is possible I guess. To mount the Wilwood set-up you'd have to adapt the disc to the Catera hub, change the bolt pattern to match the rear wheels, design a mount for the Wilwood caliper or modify the one in the kit. That's a lot of guess work on such a critical system as the brakes. Another way would be to swap the GTO front end into the Catera entirely. The front suspensions of each car are nothing alike and share no parts. I'm not even sure this is possible. The GTO is a wider car.

Shop Ebay and the GTO forums for the calipers, and wait. They'll turn u That's how we did it.

lorlaman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Great job on the brakes! Did you consider the rears using GTO brakes as well?
    BTW
    PLEASE USE AXLE STANDS WHEN YOU HAVE THE CAR UP ON THE JACK!!!!!!

This way you can live to tell about all your excellent projects!

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by lorlaman View Post
    Great job on the brakes! Did you consider the rears using GTO brakes as well?
    Why? The Catera already has better brakes than the GTO. Ours have dual opposed pistons versus the GTO's single piston/sliding caliper units.

The only upgrades for the Catera rear brakes is to switch to the vented, slotted & dimpled disc (or plain vented if you prefer), along with the required wider calipers, braided brake hoses, and HH compound brake pads.

the works of upgrading the 04 brakes with the 05-06 rotors *Redrilled to 5x110 pattern combined with the 05-06 brackets and the C5-C6 corvette calipers...

The set up should make for a sick brake upgrade but will be quite a bit more expensive then the 04 set up.

After couple months of research, I finaly bought my next project...

I call it GTO Brake Upgrade STAGE 2.

It consist of aluminium 3 Piston Caliper designed by SSBC. The piston size is 38mm compared to the 40 or 42mm on the GTO.
    Here are the parts...

Will need some cleaning but you get the idea... GTO stamped on the front...

Here are a few more details on the caliper itself...

Dizzyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega B 3.0 Executive

Ok, that's exactly what I will do also a set screw GTO brakes.

This is always said that it set one for the 16 "rims. I got 18" on my Omega, will not fit the 05 GTO calipers? The 04er calipers to see if any ever made bookings for more and better than the Omega saddles. But we must have on the highway during emergency braking from 240 km per hour times fear, and no later than the 3rd Time you should be able select the number of the towing service.

The brake discs remain the GM? Or you can also obstruct the GTO wheels? My wheels are always a floating screw as they 5x112 (Audi) have.

Well here is where it gets interesting... I need to find out what the Opel Vectra VXR Front rotors are, because if we can find a set of rotors that are 320mm diameter but with similar dimentions as that of the OEM 296mm then we may be able to use the brackets from the 05-06 GTOs.. and then we can use their calipers or the Corvette calipers as well.

I think with increased clamping force and C5 pads the GTO even the 04 units are capable of multiple stops from high speed with reduced fade and resistance to sponging...

I was coming down a mountain once and having to do a stop downhill from 140kph to 0 got the rotors purple and the brakes hot to the point where they actually smoked for 10min aft... but never faded once...

If you are on the look out for calipers let me know I have a set ready to go.

Kodan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega Caravan 2.6 V6 Onyx | 2002 | Automaat | Irmscher.

Would be very interesting.

I can tell you that after 10.000Km / ~6200mile the standard rotors (Omega/Catera) in combination with the GTO 04 caliper and the Holden Monaro RedStuff brake pads (almost the same as the Corvette C5) need to be replaced, they are finished.
    But even with the standard rotors and the GTO's stopping power excellent.

Peter

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.