I'm new and need help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, I'm new and need help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought my 00 Catera Sport with 52k on it and as I was driving it when I come ...
    fratzke7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question I'm new and need help

I just bought my 00 Catera Sport with 52k on it and as I was driving it when I come to a stop or if I am just idling the oil pressure gauge goes all the way down to the middle of the red unless I keep my foot on the accelerator has anyone else had this problem or can anyone possibly help me, do you think Caddy will cover me under warranty??
    thanks

I will be here alot!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Question Re: I'm new and need help

When has it had its last oil change?

The oil filter could be clogged up with junk, or maybe one of the passages is. How much oil is in it at the moment and what color is it? How high does the oil press get in the mornings when you first start the car up?

Oh, and are there any oil lights actually comming on when it reaches into the red?

Report with your findings if you would :coolgleam

Re: I'm new and need help

The oil is a darker golden brown and in the mornings the oil pressure seems to run fine for about fifteen minutes then it goes low again and yes the oil light comes on when it goes into the red and it beeps at me

thanks

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

You could try first getting an oil change, that will replace the oil filter... which could be a cause. After that, its then a lame oil pump...

Although, it could be other things; but it will require opening up the engine, and checking all the areas the oil flows through.

The catera does have an oil to coolent oil cooler, and that could be on the fritz. If that seriously defects within a while, your going to be in a big world of trouble. (Oil in coolant is not good).

Right now id say it could just be as simple as a clogged oil filter, ... then have a mechanic check the oil pump if it doesnt solve it. And if its not that, then .... oil cooler or somethings clogged internally.

Ok I will try that thanks, What oil does everyone run in their cateras

vogel81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I run Valvoline 5W30 fully synthetic and it seems to work great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.