Cadillac Owners Forum banner
7K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  caterakid 
#1 ·
:thumbsup: I got it through a GrouBuy on one of the other forums and it cost me a total of 150$ well spent dollars. I love the unit, I now know my MPG real time speed and RPM and it has a way to add correction factors for tire size and other things. I like being able to see the IAT and WT, and a ton of other things such as ignition timing and Gallons per hour. It also figures out the exact amount of fuel in the gas tank.

well enough talk lets show you some of the pictures. :bouncy:

See less See more
#6 ·
:thumbsup: Yep all it is is plug it in the OBD II port hide the wires and place it anywhere you want. I have already clocked over 300miles on it since I got it and I have to say I am impressed with the quality and the abundance of info that I get from it, from Ignition timing to current MPG and things like open and closed loops, engine load, Gallons Per Hour consumption and a ton of other things. I love it. I will try to get some more pics of the features.

#10 ·
Well I am a carefull driver and not much of a speeder so the radar helps every now and then but I am not relying on it entirely. There isnt a radar out there that can catch a turned off police radar so no point of having one. By the time it goes off its too late usually, the cop is already on the brakes shifting into drive or somethin... but every now and then you get beams from the cars ahead and it warns you just in time. I just know where to look for them and about 99% of the time they are usually there. If i get a cheap passport or something I will jump at the offer.

Now the ScanGauge, it powers form the OBD2 port and you can scan the car for data even when the engine is off. It starts up by itself when the ignition is on and then powers off by 10sec or so after shut down. The thing that sux is that the background light doesn't shut off during the day, but its hardly noticeable anyway, I am just afraid the light will go out eventually, but other than that no real complaints, it reads everything but Fuel Pressure and MAP info but aside from that everything is awesome. Love every part about it, the color can be customized in anyway you want the contrast of the screen is awesome you can see it in the brightest sun with sun glasses on. So I will see if I can get some more photos of it soon.

#11 ·
well radars are illiagal here in canada onario nice and clean instal too bad my catera took a dump again and i will be parting it out soon .... its a small rapair but i dont want to put anymore money into something that is not worth much.

i luved my cat :( my first car had it for 7 years

#12 ·
Thats not bad 7 years is quite a good time for something like that althou I imagine you probably spend a ton of money fixing it. The car is ok if you are fixing it yourself but if you let others do it then dont even bother. In order to own and enjoy the Catera you need to have a back up car so that when it brakes you have nough time to reasearch and get cheap parts off ebay. if you have to get parts from the dealer sometimes it can get expensive.

The oil cooler cost me 200$ and asside form that I've been able to find things for it dirt cheap like on ebay, water pump was 60$ at the dealer and then I got one form ebay for 10$... so, I know some of the people on here hat these cars but I love mine, It treats me well and I am not planning to rid of it anytime soon.

#14 ·
Yep, it scans the car on start up and lets you know what codes come up, then if you want you can reset the computer and clear them... only till they come up again, then you got to clear them again... you get the idea, but you can monitor a ton of engine data and figure out what is going on with you enigne, I can see the timing be retarded when I use 89 gas where as when i use 93 and above the timing goes way advance...

#15 ·
Yes, they are great. You can scan/clear many codes but I doubt (really sure) that you cann't reset airbag fault as that is a seperate control module. I've had one for almost a year and it resides in the daily driver-2001 VW TDI (50+ MPG lifetime average). It was an easy way to clear the constant CELs and also tell EXACTLY how warm the '98 Catera was running since the AC fan is nonoperational. I heard about the Scan Gage on the VW TDIClub forum and bought it directly from manufacturer Linear Logic for about same $ but sometimes there are group buys for less. I need to take it out of the VW now and put it in the CTS to shut off the CEL and find out what codes I have lurking in there. Both the VW and CTS were bought as wrecks that I've semi-reconstructed so you usually inhereit some issues with these projects. I'll probably be regular on the CTS forum by the time that one is complete.:thumbsup:

#16 ·
They have these on ebay for $159.99 with free shipping. I think I'm gonna get one, seems like a pretty good deal. I found out when I bought my 97 that I had to have a scanner to find out what are the codes are, and it always seems to throw some kind of code. Right now I've been code-free for about 3 weeks (crosses fingers..lol). Seems like this is great not only for the code scanner, which would cost a hundred bucks by itself for a decent one, but also all the other stuff. When I get one, maybe I can finally see what volts I'm really running...lol. Glad to read that you like it so much, it makes me more confident to take the plunge.

#18 ·
10 sec all you do is plug the cable in the OBD port and it starts up right away... I can say that I deffinetly save fuel with it cuz i try to stay in the more fuel efficient zones...

Plus its nice to see what the engine is doing as far as temperatures and other things..

Totally worth the money.

If you guys want we can request a group by for one of these and we can get them for under 150...

#27 ·
sorry to drag this thread back up but i noticed that the cords from the scan gauge are going towards the passenger side of the car...im a little confused. i have a 2000 Catera and the OBD plug is on the drivers side. I believe you said you have a 2001 Sport. Is the OBD plug on the other side?

#28 ·
Ohhh no thats just cuz I run the wires down past the airbag and the glove compartmetn and then under the center console kinda like under the radio and from there to the driver foot well and then to the OBD port... that is the easiest way to hide the wire and still be able to remove it on a daily basis when i need to use it on my car...
It just hides in cracks and openings of the dash board its not tucked or attached to anything... and I wanted to hide the wire as much as possibe.

I guess you guys can email the guy from the company tell him you want a group buy and he will research the rules of the forum and post a topic and explain how to use his coupon deal... he does verify that you are a member of the forum before you can get one at discounted price...

i got mine for 149 from another forum and I was the one that started the group buy thing... he just finished the job...
BTW this gauge helps me watch my MPG and I correct my driving based on that and honestly I have been getting 2-3mph better because of the fact that it constantly reminds me of how much I am using... so I often find myself backing off the throttle just to keep that number high...

#36 ·
I just pressed enter and completed my purchase. I'm planning to mount mine on the Steering Column so it's in my line of sight. It shouldn't be too hard a job to hide the cable either. If that doesn't work out then I'll put it on the hood above the gauges. When you run your cable let us know how you did it so I can steal your method. ;)

Elvin

#37 ·
Elvin welcome to the club then, I bet you will love the darn thing, I mean its not the pretties thing but it sure as heck does a great job of keeping up on engine data... too bad you cant store the data on a file so that you can view it on you laptop later but o well maybe that will be the ScanGauge III...

I was planning to install mine in the ashtray place but that will be sometime down the road... I dont feel like messing with it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.