A cheaper alternative Camshaft lock tool!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, A cheaper alternative Camshaft lock tool! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You need to buy 2 of these to use them on a catera, Works for a variety of DOHC engines. ...
    TitanCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

A cheaper alternative Camshaft lock tool!

You need to buy 2 of these to use them on a catera, Works for a variety of DOHC engines. I bought one myself and it works great.

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...et-Holder.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lakesidepark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

Re: A cheaper alternative Camshaft lock tool!

wow, I came on here to find a cheaper camshaft lock set and thar it is. Since you've shopped for these items...where next for the best price for a timing set? Of course I'm replacing the tensioners and the water pump and anything else thats down there. Any recommendations on the best (most durable) choices?

www.rockauto.com

Pick out your year, make, model, etc. go to engines and timing component kit. I believe it's around $294 w/o shipping for the complete timing kit, Belt, tensioner and 2 idler pulleys.

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

Quote Originally Posted by TitanCTS View Post
    You need to buy 2 of these to use them on a catera, Works for a variety of DOHC engines. I bought one myself and it works great.

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...et-Holder.html
    the correct tool does more, it guarantees TDC consistantly and the the cam pully alignment tool assures both cams are in the correct spot plus it allows you to move the belt and cams left or right for correct alignment.
    I have the Laser model, I have also used the Kent Moore tool and it is much better then the after market tools, again the cheaper models will work with a little adaptation. I have also done the job W/O the tool, you cant get it dead nuts on...

I never said that it was the PERFECT tool, I just posted it as a cheaper alternative and it did the job very well with no problems what so ever!

Marks DTM Calib is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Vaux Omega (Caterra)

Its only a locking tool.....its not suitable for doing the V6 timing as the belt tension is dependent on cam position and that requires the timing gauge....hence its not an alternative....

I realy am shocked at how much you guys pay for your cambelt kits!

The trick is with alternative tools as this is that even before you loosen the tensioner or belt you mark where the cams are in relation to the rear timing cover and mark the cams in relation to each other, Thats how I've done dohc v6 timing belts and it works just fine.

Marks DTM Calib is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Vaux Omega (Caterra)

Its a bodge...nothing more.....

A) You dont know if it was correct before belt removal so you cant guarantee its right this time.
    B) The parralex error can be considerable
    C) Skimping on a job like this where the results can be a big bill is foolish

I have re-built to many engines where corners have ben cut on this job, its not worth it....do it once and do it right......

Plus, you will get short shrift from a supplier if you get a problem and have not followed the manufacturers setup procedure.....

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

Quote Originally Posted by Marks DTM Calib View Post
    Its a bodge...nothing more.....

A) You dont know if it was correct before belt removal so you cant guarantee its right this time.
    B) The parralex error can be considerable
    C) Skimping on a job like this where the results can be a big bill is foolish

I have re-built to many engines where corners have ben cut on this job, its not worth it....do it once and do it right......

Plus, you will get short shrift from a supplier if you get a problem and have not followed the manufacturers setup procedure.....
    I agree 100%, without the right tools you can't get TDC consistantly, thus your always adjusting the location of the cams. The other important component is the cam and belt fixture that assures the right location. Sure, you can do the job WO the tool, but I assure you it will be off a few degrees.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.